Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ahead of next weekend’s much anticipated Genoa derby, we take a look back at some classic encounters from the history books...including the fabled ‘Derby of the Monkey’!

·
Registered
45,840 Posts
Good job, Calcio England.
As regards the derby of 2011, the year of relegation to serie B, I remember that I had the feeling that the players of Genoa weren't so eager to win that game, in spite of the rivalry and the ugly situation of their opponent, but Boselli entered the pitch like an unknown entity from nowhere (or Wigan) and scored the winning goal for the joy of supporters of Genoa. That goal didn't change the destiny of Boselli, who returned to Wigan few weeks later.
I disagree with the sentence "This heart-breaking defeat seemed to break Sampdoria’s spirit as they tamely slipped into Serie B, failing to pick up any points in their two remaining games". Sampdoria's spirit had been broken a long time before, with a dire winter transfer campaign. Sampdoria lost confidence together with crucial games at Marassi with Cesena and Lecce. A team which had gained 26 points in the first part of the season gained just 10 in the second part of it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts