Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So out of the blue (to me at least) the imminent return of Fabio Cannavaro to Turin is inevitable. Is this a positive factor or a another blemish in the rubbish transfer saga of Alessio Secco.

-Advantages

So Fabio turns 36 soon, and isn't the same defensive conquerer from 2006, but to say he won't have any impact upon returning to the club would be slightly naive. His partnership with Chiellini and Buffon is brilliant and they wouldn't need much time to get back to grips with it. Another aspect is the way the Spanish game is played. Faster and less tactical than serie a, and due to the speed of la liga Fabio has been exposed several times at the back. I also think it would be a great transfer as he would arriving for free on a year contract, leaving juve with enough cash for a creative midfielder and a full back we sorely need. Aside from re-instating some confidence in the team and a much needed winning mentality, not to mention how fit he is, barely missing any games and missing Euro 2008 due to friendly fire.

-Disadvantages

As mentioned in an article on football italia, and i quote "Juventus will argue that his Bosman status, his acceptance of a reduced wage and his vast experience will serve the team well, but this is an outfit whose aging stars have for the second consecutive season failed to mount a serious title assault on an Inter team which continues to dominate the Italian scene with far too much comfort". I also wonder, would the return of Cannavaro mean sacrificing Nicola at his position, surely someone of Cannavaro's stature wouldn't want to sit on the bench for long periods of the season. He also wouldn't provide the defensive answers for the problems our back four has been having, especially threats from counter attacks. Also, upon signing him, how long would it be before Fabio retires and again the team is put in a the position of replacing him.

I'm lost

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
He is a good 1 year player to have IMO, but Juventus should look at hime for just 1 year. However it is good for Italy as he and Chiellini can build a strong partnership for 2010. Juventus should look for 1 young defender on the market too and then maybe sell one of Grygera, Mellberg or Legrottaglie (most likely Grygera) and then sign a proper RB too.

·
Registered
34,454 Posts
Cannavaro: Ranieri confirms negotiations

The news has been confirmed. Claudio Ranieri spoke of the topic during the press conference when asked about the interest of Juventus towards the former Juventus player Fabio Cannavaro: «The club authorities told me that there was the possibility of bring back Cannavaro and I gave my go ahead. Now they will have to discuss with Fabio. The Juventus strategy is clear: youngsters, champions and free release. He is the captain of the national team and has a contract which is about to expire. We couldn’t miss this opportunity». :howler::rolleyes:

Juventus, as demanded by the FIFA regulations, have already informed Real Madrid of their intention to negotiate with the player.
http://juventus.com/site/eng/NEWS_newsseriea_1AD0B1C032F0417685CF9E170AD93E93.asp

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
He is a good 1 year player to have IMO, but Juventus should look at hime for just 1 year. However it is good for Italy as he and Chiellini can build a strong partnership for 2010. Juventus should look for 1 young defender on the market too and then maybe sell one of Grygera, Mellberg or Legrottaglie (most likely Grygera) and then sign a proper RB too.
Agree entirely. Well... except I would like to sell/release Zebina and keep Grygera as backup instead.
Could you butt out of signing Motta for us if you don't make the CL please? Or let us sign Cicinho for a bag of nuts? I honestly think the latter could be fun at Juve.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Where has he been fun so far?
Real Madrid? To be dumped as part of a transfer and because your club already has Sergio Ramos... I don't think that brings him into disrepute much. Otherwise, Sao Paolo? Brazilian NT?

If Roma performances were all we went by, then Philou Mexés is no longer an interesting defender. I would disagree with that.

I'm not going to say that I think he is the only solution and not likely the best one either. But I sure think it could be interesting to have a fullback who would bring a lot of offense. Of course we are no more likely to go that route now than we've been for.... well... ever. Just throwing it out there, because he would certainly be accessible.

·
Administrator
52,970 Posts
Now its done. Welcome Fabio, I hope your old ass kicks ass for a 1 year atleast :)

The ceremonial youtube clip, check what he does to Sheva at 1.56 :howler:

[tub]SjTGWKxS8dE[/tub]

·
Administrator
52,970 Posts
This is as done as it can be without being official. Ranieri, Blanc, Secco, Cobollo Giggle, Chiellini, Buffon, EVERYONE commented on it :pp

Its mentionned in our official site to boot.

·
Registered
560 Posts
You never know Osman, something similar happened with the likes of Milito, EVERYONE thought he was coming and it was going to be a done deal, then we got Andrade.

·
Administrator
52,970 Posts
Hehe, how is that similar? We were bidding lots of money for him, but not enough, and there other clubs willing to bid higher etc. This is Canna, he is finishing his career, wants to come back to Italy, is old and past it, free transfer, no one else is going for him.

You telling if they say he is coming, he wont?

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
Now its done. Welcome Fabio, I hope your old ass kicks ass for a 1 year atleast :)

The ceremonial youtube clip, check what he does to Sheva at 1.56 :howler:

[tub]SjTGWKxS8dE[/tub]
Brings back good memories. He was a MONSTER in those two seasons for us, which climaxed into the best WC I've seen by a defender and a well deserved Ballon d'Or. He'll need that sort of displays to get in Olimpico's good books again. The chances of either happening are slim though.

·
Registered
560 Posts
No just saying that through this management I wont believe any transfer until I see the words official by it. Too many promises were broken.

·
Registered
43,403 Posts
having in mind you have that monster Chielini, the return of Fabio should be a positive thing for you. The experience and all that is immense, Canna should be a better defender, albeit 1 year older, in Serie A than in EPL and he does have a thing to prove to both fans and Serie A doesn't he ;) As long as fans and club have the right exceptions and know he will not be the same players of 4 seasons ago, it should be all cool. I actually envy you - knowing that Paolo retires, Canna would have been great for Milan next season. However, most fans would just use such transfer to keep on mocking the "old Milan", so may be better to avoid it for us.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
Liga is a v different league... just look at Samuel who was not the same at Liga.

C4 - Gazzetta says he will fly in tonite for a Medical Tomorrow.

But the season is still on. :googly:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts