Xtratime Community banner

who go down?

• Total voters
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15,378 Posts
I would reserve judgement until the winter mercato has closed. A few key signings by clubs in the relegation battle could turn their season around.

·
Registered
12,131 Posts
Torino, Empoli, and Verona are OK teams and will survive the relegation. Torino will improve after signing strikers and getting eliminated from the EL.

Parma and Cesena will get relegated.

Between Atalanta, Chievo and Cagliari, Chievo will probably earn enough draws to survive again. Third team to get relegated will be one between Atalanta, who are struggling to score this season because Denis is struggling to score, and Cagliari. If I had to pick, I'd go with the latter. Zola isn't much of an upgrade.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
I'd love to see Parma stay up&hope as hell they do:hopeful:,but sadly I think even with so much of the season left it may be too late with the points to make up.I can't see Cesena staying up really I don't think they have a strong enough side for Serie A unfortunately.

Hmm interesting to see how Zola goes with Cagliari they're another team I have a soft spot for also:tongue:.Yeah but like Rod said as ever I'dwait to seealso how the winter mercato fares&who picks up who&who leaves which club as well.

·
Registered
45,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd love to see Parma stay up&hope as hell they do:hopeful:,but sadly I think even with so much of the season left it may be too late with the points to make up.I can't see Cesena staying up really I don't think they have a strong enough side for Serie A unfortunately.

Hmm interesting to see how Zola goes with Cagliari they're another team I have a soft spot for also:tongue:.Yeah but like Rod said as ever I'dwait to seealso how the winter mercato fares&who picks up who&who leaves which club as well.
Yeah, it would be a pity if Parma and Cagliari went down. That said, Parma need a miracle, at least 30 points in the next 22 games for a hope, probably more, while Cagliari have a reasonable chance but Zola doesn't look like the right man for the job (the way Zeman wasn't). Cesena are in my opinion 100% relegated. Their extremely poor team have achieved more than I thought up to now and very likely will finish with around 20 points.

·
Registered
45,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Predictable defeat of Cesena to Napoli. There is a reason if Ballardini and Reja refused to replace Bisoli. The misson was impossible. Di Carlo probably was desperate enough to accept... and could be soon replaced by the same Bisoli he replaced.
Zola flopped badly in the first game. The new coach usually gets better results than the sacked one in the first few games and this is the reason why minor clubs resort to sack up to a pair of coaches during a season. It is not Zola's case as he is simply following Zeman's negative filotto. Very likely the management of Cagliari will give a few new players to Zola and time to test them before showing him the door. Will Zeman return? If I were the chairman of Cagliari the fact that Zeman considered the players of Cagliari good enough not to be involved in the relegation battle would be a strong argument to keep Zeman as far as possible from the team.
The precious win of Parma on Fiorentina lit a candle of hope. The question is: who can they reasonbaly reach? No team out Cagliari and Cesena looks bad enough to be easily reached. Truth is that Parma, from now to the end of the season, can't waste a chance to get points. This means that for example they can't absolutey lose to Hellas at Bentegodi in the next game and, if possible, they have to win there.

·
Registered
28,215 Posts
Cesena have no chance of staying up. Brienza tries to make things happen but the supporting cast is just bad.

If Parma had more luck with injuries earlier on they'd be in a much better position.

What to say about Cagliari? 6 weeks ago they seemed to be ok, the point when they drew in Naples but since then just terrible.

But even if Parma and Cagliari improve who will falter? Atalanta, Chievo, Torino and Hellas are your typical wily grind out results Serie A sides. You just cannot see anybody having a shocking second half of the season. That leaves Empoli?

·
Registered
45,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That leaves Empoli?
Empoli had a moment in which I thought they were going to crumble, when they lost 4-0 to Cagliari at home and then 3-1 to Sassuolo, but recovered completely and after a defeat to Juventus with a convincing performance they have had a streak of 7 games without losing. They are solid, have very good defenders (Rugani in particular) who also score a lot of goals (Tonelli 4, Rugani 2, the reserve Barba 1) and an underrated playmaker (Valdifiori). Their weak point is the attack with the two dinosaurs Maccarone and Tavano, in particular Tavano, who are serie B material nowadays.

·
Registered
45,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cagliari expoited the opportunity to get 3 points against the very poor Cesena. I suppose Di Carlo's reign has come to the end and Bisoli will be called back. Parma's defeat at Bentegodi is really bad, as they are back in the no-light zone after the promising win over Fiorentina. The next game with Sampdoria is a must-win or Parma can start to work for the next serie B season.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts