Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 448 Posts

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think there are a fair number of people who miss having a Kavana thread that is not 99% political talk. So, here is a place to discuss food, drinks, women, films, literature, art or whatever you choose (as long as there is no hint of political discussion - there is already a thread for that).

Just to respond to what Maradona mentioned in the other thread. Being a Dalmatinac, I cannot understand how prsut and janje off the spit aren't at the top of anyone's list. I love all the food you mentioned as well. I guess it depends what you are raised on. For example, Italian Prsut is good but I would rather have one slice of the domaci stuff than one kilo of the Italian one.

Sarma is another food where the Croatian version is infinitely better than the Italian version.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
I think there are a fair number of people who miss having a Kavana thread that is not 99% political talk. So, here is a place to discuss food, drinks, women, films, literature, art or whatever you choose (as long as there is no hint of political discussion - there is already a thread for that).

Just to respond to what Maradona mentioned in the other thread. Being a Dalmatinac, I cannot understand how prsut and janje off the spit aren't at the top of anyone's list. I love all the food you mentioned as well. I guess it depends what you are raise on. For example, Italian Prsut is good but I would rather have one slice of the domaci stuff than one kilo of the Italian one.

Sarma is another food where the Croatian version is infinitely better than the Italian version.

What do you guys think?
Fantastic idea! And to answer your question, that would be an emphatic yes. :thmbup:

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
Cheers for opening this thread guys!

Ok here are favorite foods of mine:

Hrvatska/Dalmatinska jela: Dalmatinski Prsut, Paski Sir, Janje sa raznja, Teletina pod pekom, Punjene paprike, Pasticada, Salata od hobotnice, jastog (when feeling rich) , musule, kamenice (Stonske), riba ....

International: Thai (everything like Pad Thai noodles to Thai curry or broths like Tom Yam), Indian curries such as balti, jalfrezi, vindaloo the hotter the better), Fish & CHips, Beef Wellington, oysters .....

PICA: rakija domaca (sljiva/travarica) , vino crno, pivo (lager + ale + guiness), tequilla, brandy, whisky, stock, red bull+ vodka , .... sve osim "loz ulja" ;)

·
Registered
7,917 Posts

Just to respond to what Maradona mentioned in the other thread. Being a Dalmatinac, I cannot understand how prsut and janje off the spit aren't at the top of anyone's list. I love all the food you mentioned as well. I guess it depends what you are raise on. For example, Italian Prsut is good but I would rather have one slice of the domaci stuff than one kilo of the Italian one.

What do you guys think?
:thmbup:Dalmatinski prsut is way superior , its because of the "bura" and type of woods used for the smoking process that's unique to Dalmatian prsut and flavors it superior to the Italian or Spanish Serrano - equvivalent!

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
If I had one last meal... it would have to be janjetina off the spit with fresh green onions, grilled tomatoes, and a nice Bavarian style of rye bread to dip into the fat drippings... red wine (merlot) and shots of slivo... fvcking heaven!

Love all Croatian food... really all food of the world.

I've been experimenting with Moroccan spices on bbq meats... tonnes of flavour. Also been brining my pork the last few years and it's unreal on tenderloins.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Baraba...janje off the spit is awesome but once it cools down I just don't like the taste or smell anymore whereas pig is awesome hot or cold! Even the skin out of the fridge with some salt, bread and tomatoes is a great snack!

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Anyone else here like grah cooked with pork hock and smoked sausages?

Hated it as a kid... but love it now!

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
If I had one last meal... it would have to be janjetina off the spit with fresh green onions, grilled tomatoes, and a nice Bavarian style of rye bread to dip into the fat drippings... red wine (merlot) and shots of slivo... fvcking heaven!

I've been experimenting with Moroccan spices on bbq meats... tonnes of flavour. Also been brining my pork the last few years and it's unreal on tenderloins.
:thmbup: .... love slow cooked Maroccan lamb tagine ....

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Anyone else here like grah cooked with pork hock and smoked sausages?

Hated it as a kid... but love it now!

I've seen grah prepared a few way, I really enjoy it made with a bit of paprika...smoked pork ribs, pork hock and regular seasoning. Once its almost ready it's a decent choice to fry some flour with a tad of oil or lard and mix it into the grah...it makes the grah thicker and not soo watery!

I love Dalmatian dishes, I also love how dalmatinci speak, I think of all the dialects...it sounds the nicest and I get a kick out of how they say "Jesi jeo...jesi iiii"...the women make it sound very attractive!

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Cheers for opening this thread guys!

Ok here are favorite foods of mine:

Hrvatska/Dalmatinska jela: Dalmatinski Prsut, Paski Sir, Janje sa raznja, Teletina pod pekom, Punjene paprike, Pasticada, Salata od hobotnice, jastog (when feeling rich) , musule, kamenice (Stonske)

International: Thai (everything like Pad Thai noodles to Thai curry or broths like Tom Yam), Indian curries such as balti, jalfrezi, vindaloo the hotter the better), Fish & CHips, Beef Wellington, oysters .....

PICA: rakija domaca, vino crno, pivo (lager + ale + guiness), tequilla, brandy, whisky, stock, red bull+ vodka , .... sve osim "loz ulja" ;)
Nice. :thmbup:

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Baraba...janje off the spit is awesome but once it cools down I just don't like the taste or smell anymore whereas pig is awesome hot or cold! Even the skin out of the fridge with some salt, bread and tomatoes is a great snack!
To je istina. (once it cools down it is not the same. I will eat it, but it is not as good.)

It is very hard to beat swine when everything is factored into the equation. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,600 Posts

Nicely done. :thumbsup:

Not the same as the BBQ Moroccan spices example, but made pork "tenderloin" today. Roasted in the oven, with some salt, pepper, and garlic powder. :thumbsup: Very simple, very effective. :)

·
Registered
2,837 Posts

Nicely done.

Not the same as the BBQ Moroccan spices example, but made pork "tenderloin" today. Roasted in the oven, with some salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
Very simple, very effective.
D

Any pork is good...sounds like you made a fantastic dinner!

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good discussion. Keep it up boys. As for Janjetina cooling down and not being as good. There's a simple solution to that - eat it all while it's warm. ;)
The skin of a kezme right off the spit might be the tastiest thing in the world. I like the ribs as well. The big chunks of meat are not as good for me.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Sve što je friško iz mora je dobro. Bilo kako. Lešo?Na gradele?Meni je svejedno. A.što se tiče janjetine molit ću lijepo jer ipak sam ja iz Paga. Nadalje,u HR ima stvarno puno specijaliteta,ali bez velebitskog ili graševine nema ništa,a na kraju jedna dalmatinska travarica ili slavonska šljiva za posložit stvari.. Živili,voli vas vaš majstor.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Good discussion. Keep it up boys. As for Janjetina cooling down and not being as good. There's a simple solution to that - eat it all while it's warm. ;)
The skin of a kezme right off the spit might be the tastiest thing in the world. I like the ribs as well. The big chunks of meat are not as good for me.
This was a great thing while living abroad... None of the locals knew about the best bits of Janjetina, and they would all swoop down and eat the muscle off the top of the legs (but in cro), while all the ribs and neck would be left on the table, untouched :D

It was almost like taking candy off a baby :D

1 - 20 of 448 Posts