Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

· Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Real Club Deportivo Mallorca are a Spanish football team from Palma de Mallorca. Founded on March 5 1916, they currently play in the Primera División.

They play in red shirts and black shorts with black socks. Home stadium is the Son Moix that seats 26,500 spectators.

The oldest club in the Balearic Islands, Mallorca was originally formed by Adolfo Vázquez, a republican engineer, who named the club Junta Directiva del Alfonso XIII FBC after the then king. The first stadium, inaugurated on March 25, was called the Buenos Aires, with a match against FC Barcelona (which Barcelona won 8-0). By the next year, the club had changed its name to Real Sociedad Alfonso XII, which remained until the club was renamed in 1931, for political reasons, Club Deportivo Mallorca. The Real prefix was added in 1949.

In its history, the team has spent 20 seasons in the Primera, 29 in segunda, 2 in segunda B and 11 in tercera. Probably the greatest achievement in the club's history was to win the Copa del Rey in the 2002-2003 season, scoring 3 goals to nil against Recreativo de Huelva.

Honours

Copa del Rey winners 2002-03, runner up 1990-91 and 1997-98
Cup Winners' Cup finallist in 1999.
Segunda División champions 1959-60 and 1964-65.
Best position in the Primera División was 3rd in 1998-99.

· Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sky sports today reported that Arsenal are interested in Miguel Moya.

Arsenal are understood to be monitoring the progress of Mallorca's promising young goalkeeper Miguel Moya.
The 20-year-old has broken through at the Primera outfit this term, establishing himself as the club's number one.
Mallorca moved to sign Sander Westerveld on a season-long loan from Real Sociedad at the start of the campaign to add more experience to their squad, but Moya has seen off the challenge of the former Liverpool man to make the number one jersey his own.
His form has seen him called up to the Spain Under-21 squad despite playing for a team who are battling to avoid relegation from La Primera.
Reports in Spain claim that Arsenal dispatched vice-president David Dein to watch Moya in action last weekend in Mallorca's 2-1 win over Albacete, and suggest The Gunners intend to continue watching the youngster.
Moya has admitted he is flattered by reports of the North Londoners' interest, but insists he is fully focused on helping Mallorca in their battle against relegation.
"It makes me proud that they are looking at me, but my priority is Mallorca and survival," he told AS.
"News like this is not going to distract me, I play with complete concentration. I will give what I it takes for Mallorca to survive.
"I am a Mallorca fan and what would excite me most in the future is a great, strong Mallorca team in La Primera.
"Arsenal are a great team and have two good goalkeepers in (Manuel) Almunia and (Jens) Lehmann, but I would prefer not to make any plans for my future."
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has already raided the Spanish market successfully for young talent in the past, having brought both Jose Antonio Reyes and Cesc Fabregas to Highbury.

· Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
NAVARRO JOINS MALLORCA.

I've copied this post from the Barca board as it concerns Mallorca, hope you don't mind Mr.Laporta :smileani: :D

Barcelona's Fernando Navarro has joined Mallorca on loan for the 2005-06 campaign after failing to break into the Barcelona side during their championship-winning season.

The young left back was upset after coach Frank Rijkaard assured him that he was part of his plans before Christmas, but then only played him five times last term.

Navarro joined Barca in 1993 and made his way through the youth ranks before being promoted to the first team squad under Carles Rexach in 2001.

He then played regularly in defence under Louis van Gaal in 2003, but a knee ligament injury curtailed his progress and he watched from the sidelines as the club brought in Gio van Bronckhorst and Silvinho to fill his position.

After he recovered, he was shipped out to Albacete for a six-month loan spell and returned to Barcelona hopeful of forcing his way back into the reckoning.

But with the team firing on all cylinders as they raced towards their first title in six years, Navarro played a bit-part role and stated that he was keen to leave in March.

Now he will spend a year on loan at Son Moix under the guidance of Hector Cuper in a move that could be made permanent next summer.

IMO a good move for both sides, as it will give Navarro a run of games and Mallorca get a decent player.

· Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I just read that Juan Arango's loan has finished at Mallorca, and he's going back to his Venezuelen club.
Anybody know if this is true?

I'm disappointed to read this as he is my favourite Mallorca player.
I hope he will be at Son Moix next season!

· Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
RosenborgFan said:
He-he, I really hope we can get rid of him. He has never been even close to our former strikers like Carew and Rushfeldt. In the moment a guy like Helstad, already here in Rosenborg, is a much better alternative up front for us in my eyes.

I have by the way found an article about this now: The new bid from Mallorca is on €600,000, MallorcaDiario claims.(Babelfish translation).

Rosenborg think this is not enough, but the newspaper nevertheless claims Johnsen will sign for Mallorca within hours...
mmm.......I don't like the sound of this one.

He's only scored three goals in fifteen games so far, this season.
He hardly sounds like the prolific striker that mallorca badly need!!!

· Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
audiollama said:
Steffen Iversen had been in contact with the 1.FCN last year... at least there were rumours. In my opinion he´s better than Johnsen.
I agree with you about that mate! :thumbsup: :)

I would much rather have Iversen at Mallorca.

Never wanted Frode Johnsen at all, his scoring record sounded very poor, so it's a relief he's staying at Rosenberg! :relieved:

Iversen appears to be a much better striker, and I'd be happy to see him at Son Moix.
We still need another striker as well as Iversen, so I hope Cuper has something else up his sleeve also!

· Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Koeman4 said:
Yeah, it won't. :D We need to win and, if it's by a big margin, much better.
No, I hope it's not a big margin win for Barca!
I would not like to see Mallorca get badly beaten!

Sure, Barca must get the three points from this game after Alaves, but 1-0 or 2-1 would be a good result!

· Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Interesting news from Sky sports. Another striker has signed!

Mallorca beat the transfer deadline to complete two late deals with Cristiano Doni and Yordi joining the club.

Having already landed Greek striker Lampros Choutos earlier on Wednesday, The Islanders worked tirelessly to bolster their attacking options further and succeeded in pushing through two late transfers.

Doni, an attacking midfielder, has joined from Serie A outfit Sampdoria although it is not yet known whether it is a permanent or loan deal.

The 32-year-old playmaker has endured a disappointing time since joining Samp from Atalanta in the summer of 2003 and will be hoping the switch to Spain will revitalise his career.

He will be officially unveiled by Mallorca at a press conference at midday on Thursday.

Also making the move to Son Moix is experienced striker Yordi who joins on a free transfer after annulling his contract with Getafe.

The 30-year-old had a spell on loan at Blackburn a couple of seasons ago and is the kind of powerful target-man that Mallorca boss Hector Cuper has been chasing all summer.

Cuper had seen moves for Frode Johnsen and Angelos Charisteas fail and will be delighted to have finally added more firepower to his squad.

With the incorporations of Doni and Yordi, The Islanders have now made a total of 11 signings this summer.

· Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
audiollama said:
Let´s see what the next games will bring. But the next one against Barca won´t be easier ;)
Another hard game for Mallorca this weekend at the Nou camp! :D

As we know, Mallorca are a poor team (Well, so K4 keeps on telling us anyway! ;) ) so three points for Barca should be a formality! ;)

However, with new signings Lampros Choutos set to partner Yordi up front, suddenly Mallorca might have a goal threat at last!

Barca will no doubt huff and puff as usual, and play all the fancy tricks, but will they actually break down the oppostion and score this week?

I fancy this game will be a lot closer than most people are expecting, and should Mallorca score the first goal, then that would make things very interesting! :eekani:

· Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Koeman4 said:
Mallorca just beated Real Sociedad 5-2 in Son Moix and Juan Arango scored a hat trick... and you MUST watch his 3rd goal, amazing. :star:
he he, K4 I thought you said you were going out to watch a movie! ;)

Koeman4 said:
Mallorca vs Real Sociedad. Sat 22:00 (Public TV)

I think I'll go to watch a movie instead. Mallorca is going to suffer a lot this year. Their team is one of the worst for sure!
Yeah, Yeah :howler: :finger: :D

I told you, Mallorca will do well this year and surprise a few people! ;) :D

· Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
audiollama said:
By the way, while I was on holiday in Greece I heard a live commentary of the Barca match. I understood nothing, but I heard the names of the players. It was quite entertaining ;)
:) hehe...So that's where you've been, I wondered why you had'nt posted for a while!

audiollama said:
What do you think about the next match in Getafe? Is Getafe really that strong at the moment?
Getafe have made a good start, and I'll say the influence of new coach Bernd Schuster is making the difference!
Remember Levante made a great start as well last season,.... and then sunk after Schuster's exit!

Mallorca can win this one though, as they must be confident after scoring five goals last weekend!
Yordi will go back to play against his old teamates, and hopefully Lampros Choutos will start the match after scoring Mallorca's fifth goal on Sunday, despite only being on the pitch for three minutes!

Mallorca won this fixture 2-1 last season, and a repeat would be fantastic! :thumbsup:

· Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
Tyler T said:
I saw Real Mallorca on Dream Team. The fake team (Harchester United) played them in a Champions League Qualifier. Its a beautiful Island and City. What can you tell me about the club?
Real Club Deportivo Mallorca are a Spanish football team from Palma de Mallorca. Founded on March 5 1916, they currently play in the Primera División.

They play in red shirts and black shorts with black socks. Home stadium is the Son Moix that seats 26,500 spectators.

The oldest club in the Balearic Islands, Mallorca was originally formed by Adolfo Vázquez, a republican engineer, who named the club Junta Directiva del Alfonso XIII FBC after the then king. The first stadium, inaugurated on March 25, was called the Buenos Aires, with a match against FC Barcelona (which Barcelona won 8-0). By the next year, the club had changed its name to Real Sociedad Alfonso XII, which remained until the club was renamed in 1931, for political reasons, Club Deportivo Mallorca. The Real prefix was added in 1949.

In its history, the team has spent 20 seasons in the Primera, 29 in segunda, 2 in segunda B and 11 in tercera. Probably the greatest achievement in the club's history was to win the Copa del Rey in the 2002-2003 season, scoring 3 goals to nil against Recreativo de Huelva.

Honours

Copa del Rey winners 2002-03, runner up 1990-91 and 1997-98
Cup Winners' Cup finallist in 1999.
Segunda División champions 1959-60 and 1964-65.
Best position in the Primera División was 3rd in 1998-99.

· Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
niko said:
did xoutos start?? how did he go apart from the goal?
For me, Choutos is Mallorca's best striker! :star:

So far he has only been allowed to make two brief appearances as a substitute........and scored both times! :thumbsup:

I really can't understand why Hector Cuper won't give Choutos a game from the start! :confused: :googly:
We all know scoring goals is a big problem for Mallorca.

· Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
Reaper 7 said:
Cuper must be getting very good head off Yordi because him starting before Xoutos is a very weird joke. Cuper will learn that while cum on his face may be nice from Yordi, relegation of Mallorca will see him unemployable for many years.
:D :howler: I agree with you Reaper! :thmbup:

If Cuper is going to keep Choutos out the team, then he's going to get Mallorca relegated! :frustrat: :scream:

Mallorca have been to the Camp nou and now Bernabeu and just accepted defeat before the games even started! :depress:

Madrid are not even a very good team, so to just go there and take it up the ass is unacceptable from a Mallorca fans viewpoint! :frustrat:

Cuper had better get his act together quickly and start giving Choutos more starts, and stop playing so defensively, or it's gonna be segunda next season without a doubt!

I still think that Mallorca are a better team than they've shown this season and could easily avoid relegation, but am doubting Cuper tactics!!!

· Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
audiollama said:
I just found that picture I made last February. In the background you can see Son Moix, the stadium in Palma.
Nice picture mate, thanks for that! :thumbsup:

I've just booked myself a trip to Palma, and will take in two matches while I'm there, but hope to see Mallorca pick up some form and win a few games by then!

After losing 4 goals in each of the last two games, I'm relieved
we have a week off for internationals this weekend! :relieved:

Cuper, has to start picking his best players from the start and try to pick up a win or two!

1 - 20 of 113 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.