Registered
16,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1 Chelsea 28 10 3 0 25 3 12 2 1 28 6 44 71
2 Man Utd 29 10 4 0 26 7 8 5 2 21 10 30 63
3 Arsenal 29 9 5 1 39 17 9 2 3 28 15 35 61
4 Everton 29 9 1 5 16 14 6 5 3 18 16 4 51
5 Liverpool 28 9 1 3 23 10 4 3 8 18 20 11 43
Yesterday after the defeat to Newcastle head were down, including mine, people insisting that the race for 4th was over blah, blah Benitez should be sacked blah, blah, sell Gerrard blah, blah but today we have renewed help from the unlikeliest of sources, are bitter rivals Everton by losing today means they are still just 8 points infront and we have a game in hand so if we win that, were just 5 points behind, and Evertons next game is against us so if we beat them then it's just 2 points, now look at the remaining fixtures their run in is alot more difficult and if we play to are best of our ability we should win every game we've got left apart from maybe Arsenal.

Come on boys!

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Our remaining fixtures
H Blackburn (16th)
H Everton (4th)
H Bolton (7th)
A Man City (12th)
H Tottenham (9th)
A Portsmouth (15th)
A Crystal Palace (17th)
H Middlesboro (6th)
A Arsenal (3rd)
H Aston Villa (10th)

Everton remaining fixtures
A Liverpool (5th)
A West Brom (20th)
H Crystal Palace (17th)
A Arsenal (3rd)
H Man Utd (2nd)
H Birmingham (13th)
A Fulham (14th)
H Newcastle (11th)
A Bolton (7th)

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
SM ONLINE said:
if we beat them then it's just 2 points, now look at the remaining fixtures their run in is alot more difficult and if we play to are best of our ability we should win every game we've got left apart from maybe Arsenal.

Come on boys!
Quite a big If considering that Moyes doesn't have a bad record at Anfield (And remember - a draw suits Everton much more than Liverpool).
Looking at the remaining fixtures - both are about as hard as each other, I would not start getting too cocky either, the consistency of both teams is poor, all teams in both lists are by far capable of taking points off Everton and Liverpool. When we lost to Chelsea - everyone seemed to think the gap would be closer because Birmingham would be so easy to beat, yet look what happened.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
yeah true EB.

Personally, if qualification is based on hard work and spirit, then Everton would definitely deserve it at this point. We have shown nothing worth comparing to Everton in terms of grinding out performances (if not results) when the going sets tough.

I'd just say all the best for both of us, and good luck to us.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Tell you what would be perfect.

Liverpool finish 5th Everton 4th, Liverpool win the CL and Everton have to make do with a UEFA cup place.

Laugh, I wouldn't stop.

;)

Disclaimer: I know it won't happen

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CardiffRed said:

Liverpool finish 5th Everton 4th, Liverpool win the CL and Everton have to make do with a UEFA cup place.

Laugh, I wouldn't stop.

;)

Wouldn't both Everton and Liverpool go in the CL that way or is England only alowed 4 countries in it, so it'd would be Liverpool and the top3?

If thats the case that would be perfect.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Nations can have a maximum of 4 teams in the competition.

If we won and Everton finished 4th we'd get the 4th spot.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
It went through my head before. :D:pp

Although if we do win the UCL (big if), I'd prefer having the bragging rights instead over them Mancs & Chelskees.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
CardiffRed said:
Nations can have a maximum of 4 teams in the competition.

If we won and Everton finished 4th we'd get the 4th spot.
that's a bit pony, in the old days it wasn't like that, Liverpool as holders played Forest the English Champions wasn't it ? or was it the other way round ? :lala:

·
Winter is Coming.
8,131 Posts
that'd make my day, lets keep our heads up and not be too cocky. we are a bit more erratic then the blues.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
heheh...i don't think anyone here is being cocky O-NRG. Although if by the help of God we make it to the semis, then perhaps we might see a head or two holding high.

·
Registered
302 Posts
_Eight_Ball_ said:
Quite a big If considering that Moyes doesn't have a bad record at Anfield (And remember - a draw suits Everton much more than Liverpool).
Looking at the remaining fixtures - both are about as hard as each other, I would not start getting too cocky either, the consistency of both teams is poor, all teams in both lists are by far capable of taking points off Everton and Liverpool. When we lost to Chelsea - everyone seemed to think the gap would be closer because Birmingham would be so easy to beat, yet look what happened.

Good post, EB.

May the best team win.

·
International
1,878 Posts
It is not likely that we will get fourth place unless drastic changes are introduced at Melwood or we receive a cash injection of Abramovich proportions and UEFA decides to reopen the transfer windown at this stage of the season.

Simply because:

(a) The captain of our current season and the last seem to be two different souls.
(b) The squad Benitez inherited from his predecessor simply cannot adapt to his tactics or they simply are not good enough (note: Diao's contribution, of the lackof for Brums against WBA on Sunday).
(c) Hunger, confidence and belief are all lacking in the crucial departments in the playing squad.

I hate to say this but this season is simply the bad leftovers from the reign of that enfant terrible.

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Owenization-NRG said:
that'd make my day, lets keep our heads up and not be too cocky. we are a bit more erratic then the blues.
We're also alot better, they're out of there depth. Not being cockey being realistic, to be fair if they finish 5th it's a great, great season surpassing all expectatons, where as if we finish 5th it's a failure of the highest order.

·
International
1,878 Posts
SM ONLINE said:
We're also alot better, they're out of there depth. Not being cockey being realistic, to be fair if they finish 5th it's a great, great season surpassing all expectatons, where as if we finish 5th it's a failure of the highest order.
In my eyes, it is not a failure. I expected that. :p

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
For a first season in charge and considering the injuries we've had I'd say fifth wouldn't be a failure

Disclaimer - while our injuries have been bad I'm not going to go OTT, we have a better squad than the team above and the teams below us

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Our second team are no better than Everton's first team and Boro's first team. ANd we've playing with our second side for almost 2 months now. TO be around the likes of them would not seem out of place to me.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
liverpool always d best of d best....

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Our remaining fixtures
H Blackburn (16th) WIN
H Everton (4th) WIN
H Bolton (7th) WIN
A Man City (12th) LOSS
H Tottenham (9th) WIN
A Portsmouth (15th) LOSS
A Crystal Palace (17th) LOSS
H Middlesboro (6th) WIN
A Arsenal (3rd) LOSS
H Aston Villa (10th) DRAW

Everton remaining fixtures
A Liverpool (5th) LOSS
A West Brom (20th) DRAW
H Crystal Palace (17th) WIN
A Arsenal (3rd) LOSS
H Man Utd (2nd) LOSS
H Birmingham (13th) WIN
A Fulham (14th) DRAW
H Newcastle (11th) WIN
A Bolton (7th) DRAW

Taking the poor possibilities of liverpool and good enough one's for everton , we get 4 pts more than them .

IT is an absolute MUST to beat them at Anfield.

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
CardiffRed said:

Laugh, I wouldn't stop.

;)

:howler: :thumbsup: Great post.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts