1 - 20 of 235 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
MY COMMENT ON THE GAME
(from thefootballreport.com)

THE UEFA CUP

Not even the experts of Football Europe would have predicted that two Romanian clubs reach the Quarterfinal of the UEFA Cup. Indeed the two clubs are two Bucharest
clubs, namely 1986 European Champions, 22 times league champions and 20 times cup title holders Steaua Bucharest and five times Romanian champion and 10 times
Romanian cup title holders Rapid Bucharest are the positive surprise of this years competition.
City rivals and League Leaders Dinamo Bucharest also reached the Group Stage of the UEFA Cup to complete an extraordinary year for Romanian Football so far.
Dinamo lost their spot within the 2nd Round on the last Matchday with a 1-2 defeat against Olympique Marseille away at Velodrome.

Alongside Romania it was also Bulgaria who has surprised during the competition. With Levski Sofia (still in competition), Litex Lovetch and CSKA Sofia also another
East European country sucessfully placed three clubs within the UEFA Cup. While Lovetch and CSKA Sofia were eliminated in the Group Stage of the competition
Levski did better when the even beat UEFA Champions League participant Udinese Calcio 2-1 on aggregate and earn now as a reward a Quarterfinal meeting with
German Bundesliga side Schalke 04.

Back to Romania and Bucharest. STEAUA can rely on a hand full of interesting, intelligent and dynamic players. In defence in particular the 1.94 metre tall defender
Nicolae Dorin Goian (25) and Mirel Radoi (25). Both players were clever signings from province clubs. Radoi played 129 league games since he joined in 2000 and
Goian was signed ahead of this season from FCM Bacau. In midfield Constantin Nicolae Dica (25) is not only wearing the Number 10, he provides ideas to the Steaua
attacking play. Cleverness is delivered by experienced midfielder Florentin Dumitru (29). And of course in attack especially Victoras Constantin Iacob (25) provides the
goals so required in a knock-out competition. His regular striking partner is Andrei Crista (21), another signing from FCM Bacau. Coach Cosmin Olariou brings a piece of
cosmoplitantism to Steaua as he previousley coach Korean club Samsung Blue Wings (1997 to 1999) and Japanese club JEF United (1999 to 2001).

The other Bucharest club, RAPID is coach by the son of former Inter Milan and todays Shaktar Donetzk coach Mircea Lucescu, Razvan Lucescu (37). He has led Rapid
to the greatest international success so far. The team is heavily depended on the ideas of former Besiktas midfielder Marius Constantin Maldarasanu (30). Maldarasanu
scored the winning goals both against PAOK Saloniki and Shaktar Donetzk. The strikers Mugurel Buga (28) and Daniel Niculae (23) scored each one goal in the games
against Rennes, Hertha and Hamburger SV. Rapid Bucharest eliminated Feyenoord in the 1st round, were Group winners in the Group stage and beat German Bundesliga
sides Hertha BSC Berlin (two victories) and Hamburger SV (on away goals) in the knock-out rounds.

TERMS. Steaua will compete in a blue-red kite, while Rapid will wear red-white jerseys. Rapid can rely on a real home-advantage when they will play at the 19,100 capacity
Giulestu stadium. Steaua meanwhile have to play at Liu Maniolu National Stadium (Capacity 60,200) instead of common and to refurbished Ghenecea stadium. Steaua are
currently in second position (after Dinamo Bucharest) of the 2005-06 and Champions of the 2004-05 season. Rapid is recently on the fifth position in the championship and
have won their last major trophy in 2002, when they won the Romanian Cup title.
The tie will be feature an interesting match-up beatwhen the midfielders Constantin Nicolae Dica (Steaua) and Marius Constantin Maldarasanu (Rapid) and an interesting
duel between two emerging coaches. Due to the fact of having the likes of Goian, Radoi and Dica Steaua, the former Army club, are favorites but they will have maybe to come
along without their topstriker Victoras Constantin Iacob, who will possibly sidelined after he suffered an injury in the Sunday's derby against National (0-0).

Bucharest and Football Europe awaits a UEFA Cup Quarterfinal never been played before.

:) Thomas

·
Registered
25,390 Posts
Not a bad presentation. Do you work for any sports related web site?

Here's some tips:

- it's "Giulesti" and "Lia Manoliu (Capacity 50,000)" stadiums
- Goian's partner in central defense is Ghionea. Before, Radoi and Ghionea were playing in defense but due to the fact that Goian does very well and because of an injury Radoi suffered, added to the fact that he is also a leader, the latter will play as a defensive midfielder.
- Maldarasanu will be sidelined for 6 months after and ugly injury in the first game against HSV.

You might also add that Olaroiu brought a defensive approach to the game, the fact that Steaua has better players but Rapid has an arguably better coach and better team work and that Steaua plays with a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 while Rapid plays an attractive but balanced 3-4-2-1 or 3-4-3 system.

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Man..that draw really sucks, the two Romanian teams have to play each other first.

But then again....you're assured a Romanian team in the final.

Good luck to both teams :thmbup:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lupisor said:
Not a bad presentation. Do you work for any sports related web site?

Here's some tips:

- it's "Giulesti" and "Lia Manoliu (Capacity 50,000)" stadiums
- Goian's partner in central defense is Ghionea. Before, Radoi and Ghionea were playing in defense but due to the fact that Goian does very well and because of an injury Radoi suffered, added to the fact that he is also a leader, the latter will play as a defensive midfielder.
- Maldarasanu will be sidelined for 6 months after and ugly injury in the first game against HSV.

You might also add that Olaroiu brought a defensive approach to the game, the fact that Steaua has better players but Rapid has an arguably better coach and better team work and that Steaua plays with a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 while Rapid plays an attractive but balanced 3-4-2-1 or 3-4-3 system.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
REALLY THANKS FOR ALL YOUR INTERESTING BACKGROUND. I write meanwhile for my own homepage - thefootballreport.com - It gives me much possibilties to get an even more interesting approach to the game.
I am offically licenced to the UEFA CL and UEFA Cup. You'll find more interesting stories and comments on the above mentioned page.

ON THE GAME. The loss of Maldarasanu and Iacob are very bad. The team who enters the Semi's will be doing much harder against Basle/Middlesbrough without them....

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Rapid only has 3 titles, not 5 -> RSSSF
Rapid has 11 cups (not 10), Steaua 21 (not 20) -> RSSSF

Florentin Dumitru is on the transfer list. He didn't play at all this season, due to injuries.
Andrei Crista, the correct name is Andrei Cristea.
Cosmin Olariu didn't coach Samsung Blue Wings and JEF United. He did play for these clubs, but his only coaching experience is in Romania, with National Bucuresti, FCU Politehnica Timisoara and Steaua Bucuresti (this is his second spell in charge at Steaua). He's 36 years old (born June 10th, 1969).

·
Registered
69,732 Posts
The best thing of this is that some people that in normal conditions wouldn´t give a shit about a game between 2 Romanian clubs are starting to be interested in this duel.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GICA said:
The best thing of this is that some people that in normal conditions wouldn´t give a shit about a game between 2 Romanian clubs are starting to be interested in this duel.
RULE 1 in todays media environment...
INTEREST comes with media attention and coverage. people watch what's on... :) AND
of course quarterfinals attract usally attention. it's only 8 teams anymore...

THANKS for correcting, i will correct the coaching/player error of the steaua coach on my page/comment...

For me personally it's clear if i want to provide people interesting stories to i have to give them a wider perspective. Last time the Genoa story and this time the UEFA Cup perspective! Focused on Romanian teams, which did extraordinary but also not forget to mention Bulgaria (Levski still in competition!)

·
Registered
589 Posts
The truth is that Razvan has an excellent teacher in matter of coaching, his father Mircea and Olaroiu is an autodidact!!This is the difference beetwen them and nothing else!Anyway, I have a bigger respect for Olaroiu because Steaua has shown a better quality footbal like Rapid during the qualification's games.

·
Registered
589 Posts
By the way!What do you think about a streetfight between the two groups of fans!?
I think UEFA is looking forward for such facts to have a reason for punishing us with a two or three years ban in European Cups.It is likely to happen regarding of the '' good relationships '' beetwen Steaua and Rapid.
I am warning everybody to stay at their home in the match day!:)

·
Registered
69,732 Posts
What has Olaroiu done with this Steaua? This Steaua is a Zenga legacy more than anything. Protasov improved the Zenga version (in my opinion) with a more attractive style, and now Olaroiu gives to the team his personal details (defensive details). But we can say that both Protasov and Olaroiu worked with a team made by Zenga. I mean Zenga showed the players how to be competitives, how to be a real team.

·
Registered
69,732 Posts
cscso said:
By the way!What do you think about a streetfight between the two groups of fans!?
I think UEFA is looking forward for such facts to have a reason for punishing us with a two or three years ban in European Cups.It is likely to happen regarding of the '' good relationships '' beetwen Steaua and Rapid.
I am warning everybody to stay at their home in the match day!:)
I´m afraid that even the 2 games can be extremely violent. I hope no serious injuries for the players, and for fans of course. Remember the last league game between Rapid and Steaua.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
GICA said:
What has Olaroiu done with this Steaua? This Steaua is a Zenga legacy more than anything. Protasov improved the Zenga version (in my opinion) with a more attractive style, and now Olaroiu gives to the team his personal details (defensive details). But we can say that both Protasov and Olaroiu worked with a team made by Zenga. I mean Zenga showed the players how to be competitives, how to be a real team.
This Steaua was built by Piturca. Zenga provided the extra bit that brought them european success. And strengthened the defense. Protasov took it to the next level by adding a better offensive game.

·
Registered
328 Posts
i watched steaua - betis highlights on eurosport )you missed so many chances, you have as same problem as partizan does, but however you won away) and i didnt see ghencea stadium....
hasnt that uefa antirasist ban already expired ?

·
Registered
328 Posts
eugenius said:
This Steaua was built by Piturca. Zenga provided the extra bit that brought them european success. And strengthened the defense. Protasov took it to the next level by adding a better offensive game.
maybe he was great coach in romania, ie he was, but in serbia he is nothing but a jerk, if you are asking me.......(a partizan fan talking about arch rival's coach)
he acts the way he wants, he is quarelling with the journalists, 5/10 questions he doesnt want to answer, every month he goes for milan.....
he is very debilistic.....but he will probably win the tittle, but only because partizan had frustrating lack of luck this season....

·
Registered
16,302 Posts
GICA said:
You are right. Piturca began this. Zenga improved it.

The real difference was made by Zenga. And then improved by Protasov. Being competitive in Europe has been the real achievement, before that the romanian champion was easily beaten in Europe, we were no threat to big leagues teams. The mentality and the phisical preparation changed under Zenga, and that caused the improvement

1 - 20 of 235 Posts