Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a Serie A fan for as long as I can remeber. However, recently, I have been watching more of the Spanish, English and Champions Leage games. I still think Serie A is at a very high standard but it could be soooo much better and it could be better to watch too.

Here are the main problems in my view:

1. REFEREES

Italian referees are the pits. Not because they are corrupt - its because THEY GIVE WAY TOO MANY FREE KICKS!!!!!!!!

Because of conspiracy theorists rife in Italian press, referees are too scared to hand out red cards.

I BET, if I tried to analyze the the amouint of fouls and free kicks, Serie A would have by far the highest number. That is not good for 3 very good reasons: (i) It stops players playing football which does not bode well for the quality of the game; (ii) It makes the games much more painful to watch; (iii) If players know they can get away with it, it causes reckless tackles and injuries.

2. NEGATIVE ATTITUDE OF SMALLER TEAMS

The small teams play too negatively. I understand that they like to play on the break and that is very Italian - BUT its no coincidence that the more successful minnows like Chievo (over the years); Palermo etc etc have been the teams that actually try to attack the big teams.

3. BALANCE OF POWER HAS SHIFTED TOO MUCH

Because of financial reasons and by the fact that Serie A is spread into 20 teams now, it seems that Milan and Juventus are the only iron clad contenders these days.

Several years ago, we had the magic 7 (Milan, Juve, Inter, Roma, Lazio, Parma, Fiorentina). All of which could have won the title. The financial situations have meant that Parma, Lazio and Roma are facing serious financial risks. Fiorentina is obviously not the team it once was. Inter are the best losers in football - even if they had all of Milan's and Juve's players they would still manage to lose.

4. CONSPIRACY & CORRUPTION

I don't know how much truth there is in all these accusations but the fact that they exists and get re-iterated by players and the press is not healthy for the game. A lot of fans outside of Juve and Milan, seem to be giving up and saying: "whats the point!? Juve will pay the referees off and win anyway".

----

I guess in summary, there is a bit of bad taste about Italian football these days. I just hope that people can just start focussing on playing good football, winning fair and square, and that we see success stories at smaller clubs more often. Its the only way, Italian football can increase its appeal. The killing of its appeal is killing the small clubs - its a viscous cycle!

Interested in anyone's views.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Hahahhahahahhaha

I made the same thread a week ago

Everyone called me an idiot and told me to stick myself in a trash can

Now that you made it, we'll see the likes of everone coming here saying its a serious problem

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
5. Presentation

I watched Milan Man Utd and the difference in quality of the cameras and sound is great.

If they had every SerieA game with that quality like the EPL does then it wouldn't seem so dull and dead to some people.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
I like how they have the cameras closer to the pitch in EPL and how in the La Liga they have those cameras on the ground

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Catenaccio said:
1. REFEREES
I agree. They tend to blow the whistle on relatively soft challenges instead of letting the teams play. Collina is the only referee who usually let the sides go at it.

At the moment there seems to be only two powerhouses in Italian football (no disrespect to Inter), however this should change in the coming years. I think all the top leagues go through this cycle of good and bad spells, with new clubs being born or revived to add competition to the pot. The club that I think could become a possible title contender is Palermo, as they have serious aspirations of becoming one of the best clubs in Italy. Thus far Palermo has put their money to good use, and if they can hold onto players such as Barzagli, Santana, and Toni they might become a force to be reckoned with. Not sure of their financial backing, however with Guidolin at the helm and the possibility of some big name signings they seem to be in good shape.

Fiorentina also seems to be coming back to life, however Dino Zoff is not the right coach for that side. He always complains about how Fiorentina are being set up for failure and how football is too "political," not being able to make do with the squad he has at the moment. I think over the next few seasons La Viola will also experiance a renaissance, especially since they have talented youngsters such as Bojinov, Pazzini, Maresca, Obodo, and Donadel. Of course if Fiorentina can obtain more quality players and keep hold of the ones they have, anything is possible.

Sampdoria has been doing very well this season, as Novellino has made his side into the third best in Serie A because of solidity at the back. Sampdoria has virtually spent nothing in the past year, however they are still one of the top teams in Italy, making do with what they have. However I do not see Sampdoria becoming a consistent power house because they lack financial backing and talented youngsters. These sort of teams, much like Real Sociedad a couple seasons ago who almost won La Liga with a limited squad, usually fall off the following season because they just do not have enough quality to continue on their winning ways. Sampdoria is a compact side, however I see them as a selling one too, probably letting go of Falcone and Palombo over the summer. I like Sampdoria and hopefully they can become a consistent force, however I doubt they will.

So if Italy is lucky we will have six sisters by 2007: Juventus, Milan, Inter, Fiorentina, Palermo, and Roma. Not sure about Napoli but if they have money anything can happen. So I think over the next few years we will see better competition in the Serie A, hopefully.

·
Registered
46,394 Posts
Andr3w said:
Sampdoria has been doing very well this season, as Novellino has made his side into the third best in Serie A because of solidity at the back. Sampdoria has virtually spent nothing in the past year, however they are still one of the top teams in Italy, making do with what they have. However I do not see Sampdoria becoming a consistent power house because they lack financial backing and talented youngsters. These sort of teams, much like Real Sociedad a couple seasons ago who almost won La Liga with a limited squad, usually fall off the following season because they just do not have enough quality to continue on their winning ways. Sampdoria is a compact side, however I see them as a selling one too, probably letting go of Falcone and Palombo over the summer. I like Sampdoria and hopefully they can become a consistent force, however I doubt they will.
Palombo will stay with us and there are strong rumors that Falcone will renew for two seasons. Sampdoria can't buy great names but don't sell. The chairman does not spend but is rich enough to keep the players he wants. Probably the only player who will be sold during the next summer is Bazzani, now on loan to Lazio. Sampdoria can't become as strong as Juventus and Milan cause they get too much less money from Sky TV. In fact in my opinion the main problem is:

6. UNFAIR SHARE OF THE MONEY COMING FROM SKY TV
Or better it is not a share at all, since the contracts are negotiated separately and Juve and Milan (together with Inter) just care about their income... after the cartel Juve-Milan (together with Inter and other clubs) induced the system towards this situation, also thanks to the stupid immobility of the other clubs.

·
Registered
46,394 Posts
Catenaccio said:

The small teams play too negatively. I understand that they like to play on the break and that is very Italian - BUT its no coincidence that the more successful minnows like Chievo (over the years); Palermo etc etc have been the teams that actually try to attack the big teams.
Palermo are far from being a team which build their wins on the attack. On the contrary, they build their success on the organization and on the strength of the defense. Guidolin from this point of view is a master. But in the end the best clubs, Juventus and Milan, do the same. And Sampdoria too. As regards the smaller clubs, or better, those which have no money, I'd say that no one really play on the break. Probably you watch above all games of Juventus and you must consider the objective difference of values on the pitch. I watch Sampdoria and I can tell you that all the teams who came to Marassi played open apart one or two.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Balance of power in England is between only 3 teams and in Spain its only between 3 teams at most... so what? as someone just said, its a cycle...

Referees do give FK's away too quickly, but I disagree totally with negative attitude compared to other leagues. Even when I watch an English match between Arsenal and Southampton, Arsenal will still have 65% of the possession or more and completely dominate the match.

The good thing about Itlian football is it is almost played out of a textbook and all the goals they try to score are great, quite similar to La Liga in that respect as in the EPL you get quite alot of scrapiness (and yes this still happens) so if you count that as exciting then fair enough. Though I personally prefer to watch quality alongside Physical fitness and strength, which you defnitely get in Italy

·
Registered
46,394 Posts
And about the seven sisters: it's time to explode the myth. When there were the seven sisters the system was already going towards this situation even if the results on the pitch for a few seasons said that there was a balance. In the end Fiorentina and Roma were there cause the chairman spent more than they could, Lazio and Parma were there cause the chairmen were swindlers. The balance could not last cause it was not build on a solid basis. The result was that Fiorentina failed, Lazio are full of debts and safe thanks to a law, Parma are also safe thanks to another law, Roma are always chin deep in water and must sell to survive.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
This is true ToniSamp but now Palermo and Fiorentina again look hell bent on spending alot of money to get back to that high level.

In Italy you will always have the big + 1 or 2 others... Despite what people think I do believe that within the next few years there will be at least another team either from Rome, Sicily or Tuscany that at least challenges the big 3, if not win it. If Samp have any ambition (without being silly and spending too much) even they have a half a chance of reaching a high level.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
****in Totti is gonna get fined

THAT IS WHAT IS WRONG

GALLIANI IS WRONG

SOMEONE QUESTIONS THE SYSTEM AND THEY ALL FUKIN CRY AND FINE THE FUKER

WELL THATS WRONG
HE HAS A RIGHT TO SPEAK OUT

DAMN IT

NO WONDER ITALIAN SYSTEM SUCKS

USA NEEDS TO COME IN AND SHOW HOW ITS DONE
OR EVEN ENGLAND FOR THAT MATTER

DAMN! I"M PISSED!

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
Catenaccio said:
1. REFEREES
I agree with that. They whistle to much and they give too many doubtful penalties. There have also been occasions when Ref's have helped one team more then the other. This isn't a new phenomenon though, they really need to let the game go and then video camera's are needed to see if it's offside or not.

This is often quite boring to watch, I agree. However, Samp, Palermo and many others that are considered better team do that too. This trend has changed a bit lately though. We used to see Milan, Juve etc. play defensive minded after 1-0 lead vs a small team when there was 40 minutes left, but they don't do that any longer, just tactical when needed. Some small teams play boring, (Lecce and Cagliari are exceptions) but they have limited resources and can't attack as much as others do. However, I loathe the way Bologna is playing. They have been in A for 10 years and should be able to do more then you see on the pitch. Year after year they find a catenaccio coach, especially Mazzone's football philosophy makes me ill. He attacks 3 times a game and rely on the defence the rest of the game, Really sad to see. One could think that a experienced team like Bologna could do better.

It would be great yeah. But that is nothing new, Apart from Lazio 2000 and Roma 2001, Milan and Juve have won all other titles for the last 15 years, Samp was the latest team to win in 1991. It's the same in most league's tough. Spain, we have 3 good teams, England 2 that wins most years (Count in Chelsea this year though). It's boring when Milan/Juve are totally dominant like this year but they have the greatest squads with a mile.

4. CONSPIRACY & CORRUPTION

I would like to add, that people with too much influence are getting on my nerves too. Moggi/Galliani/Carraro, it's almost like a mafia with people with influence over the game. And sure, when a team loses there will always be specualtions and drama wether it was a conspircay or not.

Those are some bad points, there are many good one's though, thankfully. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts