Xtratime Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the World Cup being only 31 days away the pressure has finally been put on Portugal by the press. Numerous articles have been writen on Portugal. They speak that Portugal's golden generation is coming to an end. With Portugal's main stars ageing, mainly Portugal's super star Luis Figo, who turned 30 this year. This group of player known as the golden generation are said to have grown up together, since these players were picked when they were as young as 13. This is Portugal's best chance of winning a World Cup ever since 1966, when Portugal finished 3rd, led by the great Black Panther Eusebio. As I read certain articles, one poped up that struck me. It said by Germany 2006, The Golden Generation would be known as the Silver Generation. Portugal is basically fighting time. They have made it all this far and know they must face their greatest task.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
All them stories are true.
It is kinda sad watching this era coming to an end as this will definately be there only WC Campaign :( I beleive they will fight with passion , cause all of them good freinds know what they want to acheive and having tasted it in their younger days know what it takes Euro2004 will definatley be the last time we see Figo & Rui in the NT colours.I beleive Couto , J Costa , Sousa , Baia & Joao Pinto will all retire internationally after this WC . It would be in the best interest as it would give the team two years to rebuild for the Euro's.
The future in the next 5 years are in good hands with the likes Frechaut , Beto , Andrade, Rui Jorge , Petit , Conceicao , Nuno Gomes all ready to take leadership roles & the likes of Simao , Postiga, Viana , Quaresma etc etc all showing they are ready to step up to the next level !!

I know most of you's would truly appreciate how good the golden generation are when Figo & Costa go - this will be the end of the Golden Generation & hopefully the people left behind can write there stories into Portuguese Futebol folklore

M

·
0 Posts
Yes its hard to see where the next Figos and Costas will come from. Basically we ahve to look to the future once the WC us over.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
stop it guys...you guys are going to make me cry:frownani: :frownani: .....

who's going to take over for Rui and Figo???? for last number of years, there's been this wonderful recognition of our National team...with praises of style and skill....to think that the names of Figo and Rui dominating the field not on Portugal is sad....

for you guys who follow Primeira can you tell me if Quaresma and Viana are going to be able to succeed as rui and Figo did??? is there anyone else in Portugal who can be viewed as a star on the world scene??? I know that our under 17 are out of the European cup with 2-0 loss to France and 1-0 loss to Switzerland...even though from all accounts we played "pretty" futebol...

guys reassure me...please..i'm 29 years old and getting older...i want to know that in my lifetime i'll be able to twiddle my nose at my wife's italian family when portugal wins the WC...

please

1 - 4 of 4 Posts