Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
The Messiah!
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's look forward and nominate + discuss the players who might participate in the Copa America 2011 held in Argentina and the World Cup 2014 in Brazil. If I miss some serious names please let me know and I will add them! Under 30 players only!

the obvious candidates:

1. Robinho (26)

I think he had a good WC and we will be the main threat in attack during the next years and will be the experienced leader on side to younger players [world class]

2. Pato (21)

The extremly gifted youngstar couldn't get along well with Dunga and and is meant to be one of the players who will represent and introduce Brazil's next generation. The question is will he be used to his strength - a second forward - or will he take the number 9 spot - where he needs to improve his scoring abilities. [world class]

3. Nilmar (26)

Still "young" enough to play another World Cup but I don't think as a starter by now. He won't play Champions League the comming season so we might only guess if he is up there with the top forwards in Europe. Playing for Villareal only doesn't help. Talented player for sure [excellent]

4. Neymar (18)

Arguably Brazil's most talented forward in years. Same question as above because he seems a little bit too lightweight to represent the main striker. He might join a European club who is willing to pay the high transfer fee (30 million Euro) soon so we must pray he will adapt easily [question mark] But first of all he needs to improve this Brasileirão (so far 3 goals after 7 rounds [unproven]

5. Hulk (24)

Technically and physically a fine player as a rare combination gifted with a powerful shot. Sadly his scoring abilities are not all that if not pretty poor. If he can improve on that he might fight for the spot of Luis Fabiano. [unproven]

advanced candidates:

Guilherme (21)

loaned to CSKA (Russia), needs to move to a better league.

Keirrison (21)

loaned to Fiorentina, future in Barcelona uncertain, wasted player for now.

Vagner Love (26)

often being called a Dunga reject I don't know if it is a wise decision to call him back, never really impressed playing for Brazil.

Diego Tardelli (25)

so far a one season wonder (this season 2 goals after 7 rounds) after his poor attempt in Europe. Not really an option if you ask me.

conclusion:

1. There still won't be a craque in tradition of Romario and Ronaldo
2. Brazil will have some very good second forwards but will miss a prolific goalscorer in tradition of Luis Fabiano.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Vagner Love (26)

often being called a Dunga reject I don't know if it is a wise decision to call him back, never really impressed playing for Brazil.
The problem with Vagner Love is that his biggest technical flaw is especially problematic for a forward - he's skillful, fast, tactically responsible, passes the ball well and has good vision, but his finishing is just AWFUL. This is why this otherwise very talented forward hasn't been more successful: his finishing is simply too poor for a player of his level. Which is why I don't think he belongs to the NT, even if he can be useful at club level.

1. There still won't be a craque in tradition of Romario and Ronaldo
2. Brazil will have some very good second forwards but will miss a prolific goalscorer in tradition of Luis Fabiano.
I don't know, there's more than enough time for a dazzling young talent to emerge. I mean... eight months ago Ganso was NOBODY, a reserve player at Santos, and nobody considered him a realistic option for the NT. There's plenty of time for a "craque" striker to burst through the ranks of Brasilian football. For all we know today, Brasil's #9 in 2014 may be someone we've never heard of yet.

·
The Messiah!
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know, there's more than enough time for a dazzling young talent to emerge.
That is what I'm not so optimistic about. I think its a risky win-or-lose situation. Just take a look on the past four years. How many "new" (young) players really came out of nothing and would have been ready to play this World Cup ? I can only think of Pato - to add Ganso and Neymar if they were already tested.

I mean... eight months ago Ganso was NOBODY, a reserve player at Santos, and nobody considered him a realistic option for the NT.
Thats an exception and I wish him the best luck to fulfill his exceptional talent but so far that is only a wish.

For all we know today, Brasil's #9 in 2014 may be someone we've never heard of yet.
Grinch, I hope you are right. Because today the #9 is may be the main question mark (beside the "old" left back problem) cosidering Fabiano to quit the National team due to age.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
That is what I'm not so optimistic about. I think its a risky win-or-lose situation. Just take a look on the past four years. How many "new" (young) players really came out of nothing and would have been ready to play this World Cup ? I can only think of Pato - to add Ganso and Neymar if they were already tested.
Well, 4 years ago Ramires was a complete nobody playing for Joinville, and he played an excellent World Cup IMHO. In 2006 Filipe Luis was a promising-but-practically-anonymous talented kid who only arrived at Deportivo La Coruña after the WC, and if he hadn't suffered a serious injury he would have been in this WC. In 2006 Thiago Silva was returning to Brasil after severely unimpressive passages through Porto and Dynamo Moscow, and in the last four years he gradually proved his worth and established his credentials; now he's unanimously hailed as a future NT starter. Young players evolve and improve all the time, and it's way too early to say that we won't have any deadly strikers in 2014.

Grinch, I hope you are right. Because today the #9 is may be the main question mark (beside the "old" left back problem) cosidering Fabiano to quit the National team due to age.
I personally believe that the leftback problem won't be a problem for much longer; Michel Bastos played a good WC, and Filipe Luis will probably be part of the upcoming rejuvenation of our NT. The #9? Well, most people doubted that Luis Fabiano could handle the job too, until he earned a starting position inside the pitch.

·
The Messiah!
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ramires and Thiago Silva are not exactly the craques we are looking for to shine next Copa America or in 2014. Will Thiago Silva be un upgrade to Lucio during the next years? I really doubt. Will Ramires be un upgrade to Melo? Certainly yes, but that's it. If the players we talked about are the elite of the players that evolved during the past 4 years the quality and quantity is very mediocre. No suprise that not one single player in Dungas starting line up has been one of them.

Talking about the left back problem, yes its still a problem until we know if Filipe will perform well playing for Brazil: Jesus Christ! A player that is injured for more than half a year is meant to be a savior even if we dont know yet if he ever will be able to paly proper football after his injury. That sums it up perfectly.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
add names of players who could play in 2014

Goalkeeper
Renan
Diego Alves
Cassio
Felipe
Diego Cavalieri
Gomes
Julio Cesar