Xtratime Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been a discussion for Spaniards all over the world. It has also been used as a reason for our faliure. Does a NT call-up of regional heritage happen to some of the players who get called up?

Honestly, I don't see it emphasised but I think it has existed in the past. No matter how bad they are playing at that time it seems there is always a Basque, Gallego, Catalan ect player on the team. When I saw the Spain-Norway in Euro 2000, I was 100% since it was Camacho's first game in charge at a major tournament, he started players on their background. Fran? Etxeberria? They were so bad back then, yet he still called them.

I think it has faded over time but it still exists. What do you guys have to say?

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
I don't think there's a political NT. Of course, you can agree or not about Etxeberría, but he has been called in Clemente's time, Camacho's time and now with Sáez. I prefer Joaquin over Etxeberría, but let's say the truth, in Spain we have 40 million coaches. The problem is that I don't see Etxeberría as a winger and he plays in this place there.

Fran doesn't play in the NT since long ago, I think he was in Euro 2000, but I don't recall him playing the last WC. He has never been a sticked player in the NT.

But, talking about the main issue, I don't think there's a political call-up. Look, Catalunya has 2 teams in Primera Division, one of them is Barça and I think it's silly to deny that we have a good youth system, just look how many Barça B players are in Primera. Despite all this, only Puyol and Xavi are called lately, and I think they have quality enough to be there. Luque could have his chance too, he's doing a great season. If he goes to the NT, it wouldn't be that strange.

Euskadi also has 2 of the strongest youth systems, Athletic and Real Sociedad. If we add Alavés and Osasuna, a team who has a lot of Basques too, I don't see strange to see players like Xabi Alonso or Etxeberría. Urzaiz didn't work much in the NT, but we can deny his stats in La Liga. Aranzubía is a great GK and he will have his chance soon. But they have quality enough for this.

Galicia doesn't have players in the NT, but this is just the consequence of the lack of confidence in their B teams. Do you recall any Depor or Celta player from the B team? I don't.

In other times, players like Ferrer, Guardiola, Sergi, Goiko, Bakero, Begiristain, Alkorta, etc. also shown that they were good enough to play in the NT.

Honestly, I don't see any "black hand" behind the call-ups.... and if we had one, it would be for the opposite, looking how is Spain now.

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
....you forgot to mention that Zubi scored that own goal against Nigeria on purpose!:howler:
:rolleyes:

Well, I don´t think I need to defend Fran or Etxebe, their numbers are there for whoever wants to see them, their motivation? well that´s another story but for that there´s one easy solution, the one in my custom title.:smileani:

BTW, there´s a galician in the NT, Salgado, K4 you forgot to mention Celta´s only product in the last 500 years!:D:tongue:

·
40,147 Posts
Txupa said:

BTW, there´s a galician in the NT, Salgado, K4 you forgot to mention Celta´s only product in the last 500 years!:D:tongue:
Oh true....:D I still recall the killer cutting Juninho's leg.:eek:

·
40,147 Posts
Juanele1973 said:
A true shame that. Juninho has never been the same player since then. It is also why I still have a grudge against Salgado.
I don't recall anything like that... he just went to break Juninho's leg... unbelievable.:(

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Koeman4 said:
I don't recall anything like that... he just went to break Juninho's leg... unbelievable.:(
Well I recall that before that particular injury Juninho was a joy to watch and was even called up to the Brazilian NT a few times. It reminds me of other players such as Kiko and Julen Guerrero whose careers seem to dip after significant injuries.

As far as the topic goes, I think that a "political" agenda in regards to the National Team is largely a myth. It isn't the 50's and 60's anymore.

·
40,147 Posts
Juanele1973 said:
Well I recall that before that particular injury Juninho was a joy to watch and was even called up to the Brazilian NT a few times. It reminds me of other players such as Kiko and Julen Guerrero whose careers seem to dip after significant injuries.

As far as the topic goes, I think that a "political" agenda in regards to the National Team is largely a myth. It isn't the 50's and 60's anymore.
Also Manuel Pablo is not the same after he broke his leg against Celta. I won't ever forget his leg in this impossible posture.

·
Registered
17,451 Posts
Manuel Pablo before his injury was a given for the NT, and one of the best right backs in the world:depress:

Exteberria was playing well that season of Euro 2000 though I think, so he deserved to be there. Urzaiz could be mentioned too as he is Basque, never liked him... Always played good for Bilbao but never for NT:eek:

·
40,147 Posts
Kiyan said:

Exteberria was playing well that season of Euro 2000 though I think, so he deserved to be there. Urzaiz could be mentioned too as he is Basque, never liked him... Always played good for Bilbao but never for NT:eek:
Yes, but I would not blame anyone for giving Urzaiz a chance in the NT. When you don't have good strikers and you see that he's doing well in his team, you give him an opporunity... I don't see it as a political messure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts