Xtratime Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember that, in the 2000s, young Italian players (under 18) being signed by EPL teams was a big problem since they could be stolen from Italian football without much compensation. A lot of these players were supposed strong talents.

I don't remember the name of many of these players. Off the top of my head, I only remember Macheda, who is going from loan to loan now, not doing much. Anyone able to provide a list, so that we can look at their progressions together?

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Well, Giuseppe Rossi and Arturo Lupoli were poached from Parma by ManU and Arsenal respectively. Rossi has ended up back in Italy as we all know while Lupoli is currently on loan in Hungary from Varese, having spent pretty much his whole career in Serie B or the English equivalent

·
Registered
23,824 Posts
Arturo Lupoli and G.Rossi from Parma. To Arsenal and ManU.
Sansone to BayernM.
L.Santonocito to Rangers (we got him for our primavera two years ago)

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Then there's Davide Petrucci whom ManU have loaned out to whereever,
Mannone who's a starter for Sunderland after they signed him from Arsenal in the summer
and more recently Marcello Trotta who was brought to England by Man City but is now playing for Brentford on loan from Fulham, he just scored on his U21 debut a couple of days ago

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Borini, Jacopo Sala, Fornasier, Masucci other players too

·
Administrator
52,111 Posts
I remember Petrucci was most hyped besides Rossi and Lupoli, but it seems like he has had absolutely no progress in England.

·
Registered
14,067 Posts
Very few of the players have turned into anything special, but then again that has been the case with those top prospects who stayed in Italy...

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
I remember Petrucci was most hyped besides Rossi and Lupoli, but it seems like he has had absolutely no progress in England.
Funnily enough I - as a Romanista - saw his name on the scoreboard among the substitutes of 2 Charlton Athletic home games I went to last week. I recognised his name immediately and realised he is on loan from Manchester United to Charlton Athletic.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
He had too many injuries when he was young. He could still become at least an EPL or Serie A player if he does not get so many injuries from now on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts