Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moves are at last being made to rid the SPL of Dunfermline's plastic pitch. With Rangers and Dundee United taking the initial steps to alter the SPL rules, do you think;

1) They're correct to effectively take the law into their own hands?
2) They'll be successful and the Pars will be playing on grass next season?

I noticed rent-a-mouth Yorkston has been moaning as usual. He's complaining about the extra money Dunfermline will have to spend towards the upkeep of a traditional pitch. Given that the other 'small' SPL clubs are managing to stay afloat with these extra costs, why should Dunfermline be allowed this advantage.

Their pitch was only ever supposed to be an experiment, so surely a vote should now be taking place ahead of next season to decide whether it's been a success or failure. Instead, Yorkston is trying to push through his plans of laying down a different artificial surface for next season. From all the negative publicity the surface has received, you would think it's a formality that the future use of synthetic surfaces will be rejected.

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
I may be in a tiny minority, but....

I remember watching Celtic take apart Dunfermline 3-0 in the Cup on that pitch. And, unless I was mistaken, I saw Celtic, of all teams, slapping the ball around the park like Brazil. The game was pass heavy and tackle light. If someone could create perfect footwear for that surface, EVERYBODY should get one. :D

Seriously, Scottish football could do with that kind of thing. People in Scotland are so obsessed with "getting stuck in" that the skill of football, the actual POINT of the game, is completely ignored. If tackling is forced to be reduced, then maybe the so-called coaches in this country might concentrate on teaching players how to control and kick a ball correctly, instead of telling them to kick it hard up the field and tackle everything that moves.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Interesting view Visca and not one that should be dismissed out of hand, you have however made the assumption that the so-called coaches in this country actually know how to control and kick a ball correctly. :D

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good point Visca. Isn't it funny how MON has been one of the surfaces biggest critics? I don't really buy his theory that it makes games there a lottery, as i'm sure Celtic's recent record at East End Park isn't bad.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
I agree too with ViscaBarcaInter that it promotes good football.

It's about to be improved so why have an SPL vote before the new surface is in. Hamilton are using an artificial surface too and I don't hear to many moans from the First Division. Also when you look at Livi/Hibs game being called off and the ICT/Celtic game being called off recently then I'm sure supporters would have preferred to see a game on this surface than no game at all.

Lastly, look at Ibrox. If your grass park is like a bowling green then there is nothing to beat it but an articificial surface is better than the state of some of the playing fields in the SPL at the moment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts