Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if there's already been a thread made for this, I tried searching for one but couldn't find any.

But anyway, this thread is for discussion on Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ, a movie which depicts the last 12 hours of Jesus' life, leading up to the crucifixion. The film will be in Aramaic and Latin, and there will be no subtitles, as Gibson wants the visuals to tell the story. It may seem a tad strange to some, but having no subtitles is fine for me. I have this thing for movies which, in their own quirky ways, starve a largely used-to-being-spoonfed audience.

Gibson will be taking the director's seat, Jesus Christ is played by James Caviezel; Mary by Maia Morgenstern; Mary Magdalene by
Monica Bellucci; and Satan by Rosalinda Celentano. :eek: I must admit I was a bit skeptical about the cast - seems like a ridiculously goodlooking bunch, but I hope that it's just the cynic in me. :eek::D

Mel Gibson will be financing the effort on his own, to avoid pressures to compromise to the sensitivities of profit-oriented accountants or other religious perspectives. As such I think the theological choices made in the film will be esentially shaped by a Roman Catholic perspective (Gibson's Roman Catholic). :)

I've read some articles claiming that it is an "unsanitised" version of Jesus' final 12 hours. Well, the Bible is not written as drama - if one simply uses the dialogue and the described action - it leaves you with a pretty skeletal screenplay - which means amplification is almost inevitable. As with any human interpretation of a religious text it will fall short of its standards, but I think it's an interesting attempt nonetheless. I am looking forward to it. :)

Now this is a somewhat delicate issue and can be potentially inflammtory, please approach the subject matter in a mature way. :)

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Yes it's an interesting topic, and a VERY BIG film for many reasons - it's being filmed in two dead languages, the storyline chronicles the last 12 hours of the life of Jesus (something which involves emotions which you don't see in artistic depictions nor in the Bible, so the film is a great medium). Mel Gibson said in an interview that he is not blaming the Jews for the crucifixion. Rather, "all humanity and each individual shares the blame for what Jesus went through on our behalf". And it's important to take note that the film doesn't suggest that either - most of the violence, and the most severe violence, takes place at the hands of the Romans. The fac that there will be no subtitles may infact have a lot to do with possible controversy - as A&K said the film offers a largely Roman Catholic perspective.. I don't know the intricate details. I read somewhere that the film tries hard to incorporate as many accounts as possible but stays to true to the Biblical thing, even though it includes non biblical events such as stories involving Pilate's wife and St. Veronica or something like that. In many ways, this film is of too much importance to be associated under the same artistic umbrella that I view other films with. I won't see it as a movie, rather, a depiction. Simply a depiction.

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
Gibson's dad is from an unconventional Roman Catholic sect which denounced the 'enlightment' of later twentieth century Catholicism which for example in 2nd Vatican Council absolve the Jews of the sins commited against the body of the Christ. Dunno bout Gibson.

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
I read about it a few weeks ago. I think its going to be a good movie.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Heheh.. but don't you agree? I won't come back here criticising the filmic aspects of it, it will be far too [insert adjective] for that. I see how that reads like pontificating BS though..:D Forgive me... :tongue:

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
We all get high falutin sometimes. ;)

Haven't seen the movie, so I can't comment on it, but I will say it strikes me as a bit pretentious and "lah-dee-dah" to film it in not one but TWO dead languages. Of all the nerve. How will we even know if they bugger up the pronunciation??

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
Alive&Kicking said:
In the US its release date is 25th February 2004, not sure about other countries. :)
The Pope did like the movie, so I am going to watch it:)

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
MINDSCAPE said:
Gibson's dad is from an unconventional Roman Catholic sect which denounced the 'enlightment' of later twentieth century Catholicism which for example in 2nd Vatican Council absolve the Jews of the sins commited against the body of the Christ. Dunno bout Gibson.
I think that you might be refering to Opus Dei (works of God) which is a conservative group that supports the papacy. I have not heard that they are against vatican II. In fact Pope John Paul II has canonized it's founder as a Saint and the group does get the papal approval.

·
Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
3,938 Posts
Nope, niether Gibson nor his dad are in the Opus Dei (or the Knights of Malta for that matter ;)). His father is part of some movement, which's exact name is escaping me, that only hold to the pre-Vatican II beliefs and rituals of the church (I assume they use the Latin Mass etc). I have sometimes heard them refered to a Pius X Catholics, but that is probably not their official name.

Anyway, he punked out by putting in subtitles! He said he wasn't going to since the story wwas so powerful and well known. But no film without subtitles and in two languages only a few people know (Latin scholars? Aramaic scholars? Copts?) isn't going to get a wide release, Jesus or no Jesus. Thus, subtitles.

A funny thing was that on Saturday, I saw a snippet of a NASCAR race and they have a car that is advertising the film. Apparently, this guy who's a conservative Catholic is targeting the sweet-tea direct revelation hard shell born again crowd (not just through the NASCAR, but through many other channels as well). Talk about your mammon-based eccumenacalism! ;) According to one side the other is going to the firery pit no matter what. :D

RIO

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
I'm usually not into religious movies, but I find this one very interesting. The epic qualities, the whole movie being in Latin and Aramaic, and so forth.

Gibson is not a member of Opus Dei. He is a Traditionalist Catholic who follows the earliest form of Catholocism, and he therefore rejects Vatican II, only attends Latin mass, has fish every Friday, and so forth.

As for the NASCAR thing, it is Bobby Labonte whose car will be sponsored by the film.

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
Latin masses, I was unaware that this was still being preformed but for only special occasions.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You beat me to it bob, I was just about to bump this thread. :)

It has not been released yet, opens here tomorrow, I'm going to see it tomorrow night.

Saw the trailer... looks good so far. :)

1 - 20 of 73 Posts