Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone asked me if there was a link btw West Brom and Erreala shirt, I have never heard that , is there any link?

Also they wanted to Know the history of the world's greatest shirt , Athletic's.

I don't knoiw for sure. Any links or can someone explain so I can tell them.

Eskerrik Asko

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Couldn't tell you man, but what's up with avatar eh? ;) :flirt:

:pp

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
What I´ve always heard is that Athletic´s kit comes from Southampton´s. (or could it be Sunderland?, nah I think the first) As you know Athletic was formed by english and during that time there were a lot of comerce between england and the industrially growing Bilbao, a lot of technicias came to Bilbao and a lot of students left to England. Thing is, when they decided to "import" an uniform for Athletic they brang Blackburn Rovers´ (which was our first kit for some years and it´s our second now) but one year there weren´t Blackburn´s kits left so they had to bring Southampton´s....until today.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I don´t think there is any link. Actually Erreala´s colours are blue&white and, if I´m not wrong, West Brom´s are black&white. According to the Oficial History, football arrived to Donostia in 1902 by youngsters who had been studying or working in England, Donostia´s first club was San Sebastian Recreation Club and its colours were green&yellow. It´s in 1908 that the club changes to blue&white, Donostia´s colours.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
bilbao2brooklyn said:
Just a photo of my grandmother when she was younger. Why do you like her?
;)
She's alright ;)

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Man, we've needed an (almost) naked girl to see Prince again in this forum.:howler:

bilbao2brooklyn said:
Just a photo of my grandmother when she was younger. Why do you like her?
;)
I understand, I noticed she was basque since the first moment.;)

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Txupa said:
Man, we've needed an (almost) naked girl to see Prince again in this forum.:howler:
Man, I got some sixth sense or something. Some force pulled me in the direction of the Basque forum to find the picture of an undressed woman. :excited:

:howler:

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
iparralde said:
I don´t think there is any link. Actually Erreala´s colours are blue&white and, if I´m not wrong, West Brom´s are black&white.
West Brom wear blue and white stripes, and I'm positive Athletic's colours come from Sunderland.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
There's a school of thought that it actually came from Southampton. According to morbo the book on spanish football, Athletic's first strip was blue/white (as per pic above) and they got the red & white stripes from Atletico madrid who as we all know were an offshoot of Athletic. They went for the red/white stripes due to the fact they were bed linen (hence the nickname clochoneros) and for some reason Athletic took it from there. Hope that makes sense. :nervous:

·
Registered
542 Posts
Evil 37 said:
There's a school of thought that it actually came from Southampton. According to morbo the book on spanish football, Athletic's first strip was blue/white (as per pic above) and they got the red & white stripes from Atletico madrid who as we all know were an offshoot of Athletic. They went for the red/white stripes due to the fact they were bed linen (hence the nickname clochoneros) and for some reason Athletic took it from there. Hope that makes sense. :nervous:
I thought it was the opposite. That Atlético de Madrid wear the red and white stripes because some students from Bilbao founded what was first Atlético de Aviación, then Atlético de Madrid...

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
inigo said:
I thought it was the opposite. That Atlético de Madrid wear the red and white stripes because some students from Bilbao founded what was first Atlético de Aviación, then Atlético de Madrid...

Any other ideas?

Well that's what I've been told anyway.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Iñigo is partially right. The current Club Atlético de Madrid was founded in 1903 under the name of Athletic de Madrid (not Atlético Aviacion, that came after the Civil War, when Atlético was near the bankrupcy and the solution to save the club was to merge it with a team of the army, the Aviación, until then they were called Athletic de Madrid, but Franco "spanishlized" the names of the clubs and Barça and Athletic know about it).

As iñigo said, Atlético was founded by Basques and Madrileños that lived in Madrid, who admired the initial success of Athletic in Copa del Rey. Actually, the first Atl. Madrid shirt was white & blue, as the Athletic one at that time.

At that time, Atlético depended on Athletic and it was this way until 1907, although they kept the good relationship. It was in 1911 when Atlético began to wear the red & white shirt and blue shorts. The red and white shirts came from Bilbao.

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Koeman4 said:
Maria San Gil? :eek: :D
Do you find morbo in evil?:eek:

I've looked it up in my "Athletic Golden Book" ( :cool: ) and it doesn't say the reason but at least it says that Athletic's first game with the red&white shirt was on January 9, 1910 against Sporting de Irún. Athletic Club de Madrid changed it's kit also because they were some kind of Athletic's B team.

Although what has captured my attention while searching it is that Athletic and San Sebastián were close to merge in 1907!!:eek::dazed::scared::wth:

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Good topic, learned a lot again!

Atlético Athletic's B team... good old times :D!

And our kit is taken over from the Blackburn and Soton/Sunderland one? Never known that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts