Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I heard many rumours about signing new strikers or midfielders next January, Gilardino and Solari are named to be the ones who could join us next spring.

However, IMO when Pippo and JDT are back, then we are settled in the striker department, one more big name striker next January would only upset our changing room later on:thmbdown: {though i won't reject the idea of calling back Pozzi/Kutusov to fill in the 4th spot IF Pippo's recovery is still uncertain :sob: }, while with the emergence of Dhorasso, we need no reinforcement in midfield too.

In contrast, my main concern is actually one of our best performer this season, the right wing back Cafu. :eek:

He played brilliantly this year and almost featured in all of our matches. Also he's still a regular in the Brazilan NT where he's the captain. At the age of 34, I think this kind of tight schedule and frequent 'cross-alatantic' plane travels could only result in a dip in form in the latter part of the season due to fatigue. :rollani:

I still remember last season, when Simic out injured, Cafu singlehandely carried the RB position throughout the year, and finally fell miserably at the hands of Luque at Riazor. :wallbang:

i always think that if someone was able to share some of his matches burden, he could stay sharp ahead of that important encounter at Riazor.

So, do we need to import a right back in january market to allow some rest to our wonderful brazilian winger, who is arguably the 'engine' of our attack? IMO the answer is already within our team, he's the young Argentinian COLOCCINI. :stuckup:He's a CB, but actually played as a RB in argentina's 3 men defence. Unlike Laursen, he's comfortable with the ball and has arguably better attacking flair than Dario Simic. IMO, in order to prevent the worn down of Cafu, we NEED to field in Coloccini in right back position more frequently so as to adapt him to our team. He proved in la liga, coppa america and olympics that he's a very reliable defender. What he lacks is the confidence of Carlo and the starting chances, just like a certain French called Dhorasso ONE month ago. ;) One month ago Dhorasso was just like Coloccini, both of them were regarded as nothing more than bench warmer :groan: , but now the French has proved himself useful to the team, :star: why not handing out some chances to the promising defender too? IMO he could be even better than the impact made by Dhorasso :lick: He's only 23 and has tremendous talents shown in his games. :smileani:

I hope Wednesday's match against Celtic could well be Coloccini's chance to play so as to rest Cafu. Actually, now we have two good players to rotate in almost every position except our right back spot.

LB: kaladze and Pancaro, 2 for 1.
CB: Maldini, Nesta, Stam and Billy, now stam is injured, so it's 3 for 2 spots.

midfield: kaka, rui, seedorf, serginho, gattuso, brocchi, pirlo, dhorasso and ambro altogehter 9 players rotate for 4 spots, though pirlo actually lack a similar cover... :wallbang:

strikers: we have 4 for 2 spots.

RB: cafu ONLY. Simic and Stam injured, Stam not really suited as RB in our system, we should not waste him in the flanks. While Coloccini hasnt been given chance to play, so basically there is NO valid option besides Cafu, that's why we could see the 38 yrs old Billy filling this spot when the Brazilian captain is out. :rollani:

So, clearly the candidate to solve this porblem is already here. Coloccini is young, proven in big stages, and arguably more solid at defending when compared with Cafu. ;) It's high time we gave chance to 'build up' a reserve right back to back up Cafu, or else riazor fiasco could haunt us again. touchwood.

FORZA :star: MILAN :star:
FORZA COLOCCINI

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
We're pretty covered in RB. If Cafu is out, we'll lose wide alternatives to the right but we'll make it since our players prefer to play it down the centre even if we have wide alternatives.
Let's see in a few weeks if our striker problem really is resolved.

Anyways, I don't think we'll get another player in January. We usually don't do the winter market thingy.

·
Premium Member
12,798 Posts
I'm not too worried, Pancaro can double-up as a right-back. :stuckup:

On paper, we're pretty much covered on the flanks this season.

LB: Kaladze, Pancaro, Costacurta, Maldini, Serginho (Defensively he sux, but he can be used at LB when the need arises, like suspensions or *GOD FORBID* injuries)

RB: Cafu, Pancaro, Costacurta, Coloccini, Simic (when back from injury)

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
ilgenio said:
I'm not too worried, Pancaro can double-up as a right-back. :stuckup:

On paper, we're pretty much covered on the flanks this season.

LB: Kaladze, Pancaro, Costacurta, Maldini, Serginho (Defensively he sux, but he can be used at LB when the need arises, like suspensions or *GOD FORBID* injuries)

RB: Cafu, Pancaro, Costacurta, Coloccini, Simic (when back from injury)

Are you sure we are safe to field Simic/Billy/an untried Coloccini against the likes of Reyes/Robben/Vicente/Giggs in the champion league? :wth:

Pancaro now is a shadow of last season's Pancaro...sad but true. :depress: His performances this season were shaky. During last weeked's match, Gila's goal was part of his fault.

Cafu is the only reliable choice at RB right now.

So, it's high time we gave more first team chances to colccini. The first step SHOULD be the Celtic match, there's no reason for Carlo to field in Cafu for this kind of match again, which he used to do so... :wth:

·
Premium Member
12,798 Posts
Elephant King said:
Are you sure we are safe to field Simic/Billy/an untried Coloccini against the likes of Reyes/Robben/Vicente/Giggs in the champion league? :wth:
You worry too much, I have faith in Gattuso + whoever RB on the pitch against the likes you've mentioned above. :stuckup:

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
Quivering said:
We're pretty covered in RB. If Cafu is out, we'll lose wide alternatives to the right but we'll make it since our players prefer to play it down the centre even if we have wide alternatives.
Then we can use Serginho on the left.

Elephant King said:
Untried? he already played against both Reyes and Vicente.

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Elephant King said:
I heard many rumours about signing new strikers or midfielders next January, Gilardino and Solari are named to be the ones who could join us next spring.
Gila and Solari should they ever join us will certainly not be next Jan.

Coloccini indeed looks very promising :star:

P.S. Never underestimate a legend like Billy ;)

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Diavolo said:
P.S. Never underestimate a legend like Billy ;)

yes, billy is a true legend. :thmbup: but at the age of 38, it's a bit harsh to expect him to handle wingers like reyes or robben. we need to give coloccini more chances to prepare him well. :thmbup:

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Billy can handle those strikers and if he has to he will commit a professional foul he'll do it also he will be helped out by Nesta. I don't say that the right back is an urgent need for you right now but very soon you're going to need new defenders. All of your defence is getting older and there should be a better option than Billy for right back. Maldini is retiring this year isn't he? And if he is then perhaps Billy will too, though Billy might stay on for another year if called upon. I heard you have a couple of good defenders in your system who might be able to fill these gaps though most likely you will buy someone experienced. All in all you might make some smart investments in youth but no one who will come and play for the first team.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Elephant King said:
yes, billy is a true legend. :thmbup: but at the age of 38, it's a bit harsh to expect him to handle wingers like reyes or robben. we need to give coloccini more chances to prepare him well. :thmbup:
coloccini on the right flank is even slower than billy ..sad but true

coloccini is a central defender, not a right back IMO

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
indeed coloccini played as right back in Argentina NT, though it must be mentioned that in their 343 system, Javier Zanetti is the right wing back alongside Coloccini.

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Laudrup said:
Billy is the man for the future ;)
This year as a player, next year possibly within the Board :stuckup:

·
Registered
10,174 Posts
Diavolo said:
This year as a player, next year possibly within the Board :stuckup:
Well, actually I was thinking more in the line of long-term replacement for Maldini when the Captain decides to call it a day :embarass:

;):cool:

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Laudrup said:
Well, actually I was thinking more in the line of long-term replacement for Maldini when the Captain decides to call it a day :embarass:

;):cool:
Their will eventually be a player that will play in his position. We will be lucky if he will be half as good as him :stuckup:

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Diavolo said:
Their will eventually be a player that will play in his position. We will be lucky if he will be half as good as him :stuckup:
Any possibility that this reinforcement in defence can come courtesy of :jester: HIM :jester: in a future swap?:hopefull:

Cheers.;)

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
San Siro said:
Any possibility that this reinforcement in defence can come courtesy of :jester: HIM :jester: in a future swap?:hopefull:

Cheers.;)
Pick one: Coco, Pasquale, Favalli :jester:

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Diavolo said:
Pick one: Coco, Pasquale, Favalli :jester:
How about none of the above?:stress: I was thinking of someone else...;)

Cheers.;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts