Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which was the worst sale in the history of football? Who completely missed the boat by offloading some ineffective journeyman that came back to score a hat-trick against them, win world player of the year, redefine defending as an art form or have a city named after him? We're looking here for the football equivalent of Decca records snubbing hte Beatles.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
i think Pirlo
his 2 freekicks killed inter
and atm he's most important player for bbilan imo

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
Eric Cantona from Leeds to Man Utd was a pretty bad one. Letting their hated rivals have a player that ended up leading to Manure domination for the next decade.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
He wasn't sold but i'd have to mention Kenny Dalgleish - one of the best Scottish players ever and a boyhood Rangers fan who grew up in the shadow of ibrox but our scouts missed him for some reason and he went to Celtic instead :(

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Harry Redknapp had Shevchenko offered to him for £1m when he was a young 'un but Harry didn't fancy the lad.

·
63,337 Posts
Teddy Bear said:
Is there not a similiar story with Maradona...not sure what club was involved was though
i dunno, iread that Harry also had D'Alessandro on trial but didn't offer him a deal because he already had Joe Cole.

·
63,337 Posts
Terry Neil was offerd Ruud Gulit for a tiny sum when he was at that small team in Holland, Neil refused the offer, a few years later he became quite well known.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
How about Bobby Robson turning down Gullit, Gascoigne and another star (cannot remember who) for Ipswich?

One of the worst sales was Michael Thomas by Liverpool to Arsenal.

·
63,337 Posts
The Green One said:
How about Bobby Robson turning down Gullit, Gascoigne and another star (cannot remember who) for Ipswich?

One of the worst sales was Michael Thomas by Liverpool to Arsenal.

Michael Thomas went from Arsenal to Liverpool, still a bad sale but not as tragic as it would have been your way around. :D

·
Premium Member
12,798 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
Michael Thomas went from Arsenal to Liverpool, still a bad sale but not as tragic as it would have been your way around. :D
:D

His goal won Pool an FA Cup in 1992, though I don't think those Scousers ever forgave him for he did in 1989 :shades:

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
Dinamo Zagreb decided that Robert Prosinecki was no good and let him sign a contract with heated Serbian rivals Red Star Belgrade. Prosinecki went on to win the Champions Cup with Red Star and to become one of the best players from Croatia ever.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
Barcelona signing Zidane from Bordueux along with two other high profile players. Cryuff had a disagreement with Nunez and out of spite cancelled all 3 transfers.

Man U and Ronaldinho could be classed aswell.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts