1 - 20 of 255 Posts

·
Zeko lopove...
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Mare,

You asked for it, you got it buddy!

:musik:

Mare doing his best Miha impersonation with Voj Vojo.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
This thread should've been made ages ago!

His goal against Iran in France '98 was the first international goal I ever witnessed.

·
Registered
13,414 Posts
8YwiIsss-jA

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
There are lots of its and maybes about that game in 1998.

If Santrac had set the team up to actually play football, if Mijatovic had let Miha take the penalty, if Bergkamp had been sent off...

·
Registered
40,649 Posts
i remember when bergkamp stomped on him should ve been a red card . instead we lose miha due to injury. that affected the outcome of that game in my opinion
Naturally. As Vojo would say - with our best players playing (aka Mihajlovic) we would have won. :)
lol, I remember being in the stands for the Slovenia Euro2000 game. Seeing Miha give away goals for free and if that wasn't enough he even decided to push around players and got himself sent off.

After that the most miraculous thing happened. We went from 0-3 down to 3-3 in a matter of 7 minutes! :eekani:

As Vojo would say though - that's only natural when the cancer was cut out of our NT. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
As player Mihajlovic was my favorite, not only for his skills but also for his personality.

But what he did to our NT as coach is nothing but criminal.

·
Registered
13,414 Posts
Mihajlovic as a player had a thunderous left foot and is the best ever free kick taker i have seen... but he was not exactly the most skillful player IMO

and seemed to be become more and more erratic as his career went on... a red card waiting to happen

·
Registered
34 Posts
All things Miha

Miha sucks and cost us qualification at the last world cup. Now please respond MARE and let us know how Mijailovic over Matic wasn't dumb, how Stevanovic over Tadic was the right move, how Radovanovic was a good choice and Scepokadabra. We have never heard your reasonings and would appreciate a rant from you in a thread that the rest of us will never visit.

·
Registered
44,357 Posts
Moved your post here, S009.

·
Registered
23,488 Posts
As player Mihajlovic was my favorite, not only for his skills but also for his personality.

But what he did to our NT as coach is nothing but criminal.
Yeah, because we've never qualified for a tournament before and finishing behind Belgium and Croatia is much worse than finishing behind the likes of Estonia and Wales. :howler:

·
Registered
23,488 Posts
Moved your post here, S009.
:howler::thmbup:
Miha sucks and cost us qualification at the last world cup. Now please respond MARE and let us know how Mijailovic over Matic wasn't dumb, how Stevanovic over Tadic was the right move, how Radovanovic was a good choice and Scepokadabra. We have never heard your reasonings and would appreciate a rant from you in a thread that the rest of us will never visit.
Well apparently you're wrong as there are already 291 views, although when you read this it'll probably be a bit higher. :proud:

Anyways, I've responded to these things many a times, but it's fitting in this thread, and hopefully the likes of RSF won't cry and complain when I write this, only for him to later tap-out much like you'll probably do too.

1) Miha isn't soley responsible for us not qualifying. All the players who played share responsibility for not getting the job done. Tadic, Tosic, Markovic, Mitrovic, Djuricic, Djordjevic, Bisevac, Ivanovic, Kolarov, etc all had their fair share of chances throughout the campaign for which they ultimately didn't finish. Along side that, we also had Ivanovic, Kolarov, Bisevac, Subotic, Tomovic, Brkic, Stojkovic, Fejsa, Mijailovic, Matic, Ninkovic, Ignjovski, etc who made mistakes, several of which cost us.

Also, the likes of Ljajic and to a greater extent Matic cost us in A) not following the rules, and B) quitting on the team when we needed him the most. Ever hear that one before? Oh yeah, that's what many on here accused Vidic of doing when he retired AFTER the Euro qualifications, unlike Matic who decided to take a break DURING the WC qualifications. But no, don't fault him - fault Miha, blame him for everything, he's the modern Vuk Brankovic after all.

2) Mijailovic over Matic - I'm assuming you are talking about the Belgium game? Maybe Scotland too? Let's start with that one first (for sake of chronology). Against Scotland we got a draw and Mijailovic played the 1st 45mins. In the 2nd half, while he was not playing, Tadic had a 1-on-1 with the keeper which he missed. I'm guessing he would have made that had Matic been on the field, right? Against Belgium we could have just as easily won the game 3-0 as we did lose it 0-3. Mijailovic isn't to blame for Tadic, Tosic, Ivanovic, and Bisevac's misses. Or is he? Why did we concede so much? Because of Mijailovic and only him? No, I even highlighted the game when I showed video footage of Ivanovic and how he was responsible for many of Belgiums chances and at least 2 of their goals. My whole point about Matic was that leading up to the qualifiers Matic didn't show any more than a player like Mijailovic in the friendlies, if even that much. People on here commented on his disappointing appearances and if you look at it, he played against France, Spain, and Sweden, yet we weren't successful, were we? Now, none of us saw the trainings, so, how can we comment on Matic's performances there? I'm not saying he was terrible, but who is to say he was great? What was clear back then was that he wasn't willing to fight for a spot on the team and instead quit - that should say something about his character, at least at the time. What's quite obvious to me (and yet surprisingly not obvious to some others on here) is that Matic improved a great deal after Javi Garcia left Benfica leading to Matic eventually taking his spot in the starting-11. But I'm quite sure he became a regular after the opening qualifiers. Now, if you remember, Mijailovic got a chance against Scotland and didn't play too well, he was later replaced by Fejsa at HT. In the 2nd game Fejsa and Ignjovski played and we won 6-1 while Mijailovic came on at the end of the game meaning that Miha saw something in him/had faith in him. The next game Fejsa was injured and we played Belgium with Ignjovski and Mijailovic. Mijailovic actually played a good game, but he's another easy target.

What I'm trying to say (and have been trying to say the whole time) is that there are so many different factors that one needs to consider. Never mind how a player performs for their club, but what about training? What about man-management, and giving players more chances to develop and improve? What about trying to instill confidence in a player? These are all factors - I'm not saying these were all the case if any, as we don't know - nor am I saying it's right, but one should at least consider it. Meanwhile, what did Matic prove at that time? Remember, this was before he was a regular for Benfica and thus before he broke out. Before then he was on the bench at Benfica and before that he didn't do much at Vitesse while on loan from Chelsea. It's so easy to now say Matic was the obvious choice, yet many on here didn't feel that way at the time either. Since then Matic has proven that he's a class player, and I won't deny that. I'm happy that Serbia has a player of his caliber but to pretend that he was the same back at the end of 2012 in the qualifiers isn't accurate - he was a different player. Call it confidence, match-rhythm, or perhaps a new outlook on things (perhaps he was more concerned about breaking out for his club then he was for the NT - didn't he state that he wanted to spend more time concentrating at his club when he quit?) but whatever it was, Matic clearly did something different, or perhaps things just fell in place for him. Unfortunately, many of you on here just look at things black+white due to your emotional attachment anything and everything related to the NT. Ever take the time to wonder why Curcic didn't even call him up for the friendlies before Miha? Other 'new' players like Tadic were called up...

3) Stevanovic over Tadic - Never said this was the right move. I didn't agree with this one myself, much like there are other things that I didn't agree with under Miha, but by simply saying that others should be held responsible I get labelled a 'Miha-supporter' from some simpletons on this forum.

4) Radovanovic a good choice - Again, never said this. I take it this relates to the game in Croatia? You quickly forget that we were without many options considering how Matic quit, while Fejsa and Kuzmanovic were injured. I believe at the time our other option was Petrovic but Miha opted for Radovanovic. I thought Radovanovic was poor (much like Stevanovic) but don't forget he played fairly well in some of the other friendlies before that game as well as some of the qualifiers after that game, for which even Matic himself praised.

5) Choice of Scepovic - Again, the Croatia game, right? He played 8mins, how you or anyone else can blame him for the loss is mind-boggling. Djordjevic came on for the remaining 82mins and what did he do? Miss a few chances? Yeah, pretty much. Guess what happened when Mitrovic started against Croatia in Belgrade - he missed chances too. Wasn't the first time and won't be the last.

If you want some more, feel free.

·
Registered
23,488 Posts
Mihajlovic as a player had a thunderous left foot and is the best ever free kick taker i have seen... but he was not exactly the most skillful player IMO
Even better than Roberto Carlos?
and seemed to be become more and more erratic as his career went on... a red card waiting to happen
Interestingly enough I don't think he was ever sent off more than twice in a season while in Italy while apparently he was never sent off in his final two season for Inter. Not sure if that's all true though, got those statistics from here which seem to suggest that there could be some data missing:

http://www.footballdatabase.eu/football.joueurs.sinisa.mihajlovic.1425.en.html

·
Ne oprastam
12,643 Posts
Miha's decisions against Croatia in Zagreb were some of the worst in our history, the only thing that comes close is Bata Djora's legendary lineup against Russia in 2001. There was no excuse for it and he should have been fired when the final whistle sounded. Total incompetence.

1 - 20 of 255 Posts