Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Celtic could definitly cope in England after the peformances iam sure that it would be a great move

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
yea definately, a rangers fan was saying to me, that he hopes celtic dont play well against arsenal, as if we hammer them too then they wont want us in their league!!! :):tongue:
i tihnk arsenal game wil lbe a lot harder than leeds, and it all depends on who is playing. larsson and mjallby are rested tomorrow against aberdeen, with world cup in mind, so they may not feature against arsenal either, and they are argubly the two best players, lambert excluded.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
You may also think Arsenal would be mad to play anyone who is due to appear in the world cup. Seaman, Campbell, Lungberg, Henry, Kanu, Wiltord, Vieira....It would be a hard one to swallow missing out on the WC for the sake of a friendly even for Big Tony Adams.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, The Old Firm could cope in the English First Division but in the Premiership, they would struggle to hold down a top 10 place.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Rangers & Celtic would win promotion withing 3 years max.

They would then struggle in the Premiership finishing mid-table BUT within 10 years the trophy currently held by Arsenal will have visited both sides of Glasgow IMO.

Both the OF have a massive fan-base and with them getting more worldwide TV coverage we would recruit more fans from Oz, Asia, South America etc...

Then with much more TV revenue and a massive magnet of Glasgow nightlife & playing in one of the top leagues both sides of the Old Firm will be attracting WORLD CLASS players such as Veron, RVN and Peter Lovenkrands ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't think that the old firm would be any good in the first division in England!
They do not deserve to be in England what gives them the right to jump straight into the first division in England anyway if they started in the conference then maybe.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
yea but blue eye, opinions are like @$$holes, everybodys got one.

if you actually watched any scottish games, you would see that celtic, (and under mcleish rangers will be) would murder al the english teams, all that extra sky money = better players, who would want to go, now that they were in better league, and then we would run the show down there. chelseabear said 10 years, i reckon that could be done quicker.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
........Japs eye....:dielaugh: :dielaugh: :dielaugh: I'm sorry but like a bad comedian I still find that hysterical.

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Rangers & Cletic would both struggle against the top flight teams in the EPL, i'd like to see Rangers & Celtics start in the first Div and make there way up but i couldnt see them really making much of an impression.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think Rangers and Celtic could hold down a place in the top 6 of the premier league. They are good teams and could only improve down their.

Why anyone would want them. God knows????

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Because in amongst all the idiots & bigots you have me & JB ;)

We're not all scum...

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
hehe nice one ChelseaBear.

i tihnk its these english people who arrogantly think they are too good, the same fools who thin england *ARE* going to win the world cup! :howler: :howler: :howler:
cough splutter! ok im choking now!

i tihnk thats the only reasons why we cant support england. gildea nearly lost all repect for me when i told him i was nearly goign to watch engrrrlands games without wanting them to lose, as i like a few of their players, but thatwas a quickly changed thought, commentators, and general englishness or arrogance, same thing, put me right. i jsut hope its germany or italy who put them out!

in fact, i want a germany - italy final, as that way we will be favourites among the commmentators for a change!!!

but back on the topic, english teams are not better than us because their league has a better balance, as i argued with gildea, liverpool only jsut edged celtic out on away goals rule, when we totally dominated the game at anfield, but well, we had no strikers, simon donnelly was playing!
i know the division one is a tricky league, 46 games orsometihng! but after playing a season there, it would get our stamina great for beating all the premiership sides. if you can tell me who can beat us, other than having a bad day against tottenham or sometihng, tell me. Leeds is the only side to win against one of us in the last 10 years or something, definately within last 7 anyway, tehy won 2-1 at paradise.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Although there is definite scope to say that after a period of acclimatisation the old firm could challenge for the EPl title I don't think you can use friendlies as an accurate guage, same goes for cup games. Look at Ayr Utd this season in Scotland or even Cardiff City knocking Leeds out of the F.A cup, few people would accept that the Welsh side would be capable of a top seven finish.

I still think the biggest factor in Division One would be the Anglo - Scot factor. It has been clearly demonstrated on many occassions that derbies don't always run to current form or that on one off occasions (i.e. cup games) small teams can raise their game and get a result against much bigger opponents, I feel that every club in Nationwide Div.1 would view the old firm game as a derby wether they were in second place chasing promotion or in twenty third place trying to stave off relegation. Celtic and Rangers could succeed but it would not be the cakewalk some people think based on the finances and crowds of their rivals.

·
Registered
54 Posts
ChelseaBear said:
Because in amongst all the idiots & bigots you have me & JB ;)

We're not all scum...
I didnt mean that you were all scum. I just meant that some are and that there is generally trouble when you go to play them.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
I know m8, just me being me :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
I'm fed up with all this anti-english sh!t, no one honestly thinks England will win the world cup. I would welcome Rangers&Celtic with open arms, but no way could they match united/arsenal/liverpool/newcastle/leeds in competitive matches yet.

Please could we just stop all this "Arrogant English" rubbish and "i want them to lose every match" its both sad and pathetic, this is the reason i no longer cheer on the scottish team.

anyway i hope to see Rangers&Celtic in Div.1, one day.

·
Registered
740 Posts
"I'm fed up with all this anti-english sh!t, no one honestly thinks England will win the world cup"

I actually heard that the locals are going to rally round the english team and try to cheer them on. They really want england to win.

Its something to do with wanting to keep shop windows intact......

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
nice one gildea. :D

RUSSELL: but no way could they match united/arsenal/liverpool/newcastle/leeds in competitive matches yet.

BULLSH!T!!

ok not the most eliquent reasoning, but its accurate.

giggs' testimonial was very competitive, and certainly no friendly, we humped man u that day, and would gladly do it again.

fair enoguh the leeds game was not very competetive, but they were madeto look very ordinary.

you list 5 teams, so if we finished 6th behind them, doesnt that count as a good team?

maybe in our first premiership season, 6th might be ok, but we would most certainly improve on that.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
http://www.xtratime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76153

go to this thread and see that at first team level, or U21's we still hammer the english teams. the reason you wont give us the chance is cos you are scared of us becoming the new man u, and cominating hte league, and to make it worse, there is two of us.

(nothing to do with the fact that it is a pretty strong league already :angel: )

·
International
9,526 Posts
JuveBhoy said:
hehe nice one ChelseaBear.

i tihnk its these english people who arrogantly think they are too good, the same fools who thin england *ARE* going to win the world cup! :howler: :howler: :howler:
cough splutter! ok im choking now!

but thatwas a quickly changed thought, commentators, and general englishness or arrogance, same thing, put me right. i jsut hope its germany or italy who put them out!

ahhh yes, sour grapes at its best;) As has been repeated time and time again up and down the forum, none of the England fans on here are realistically predicting a world cup final appearence, much less a win. So, regarding arrogance, lets face it, the only arrogance on display here is yours. Scottish teams always raise their performance when they play English teams. Its a fact. Celtic love playing in testimonials against United and Liverpool etc, as it gives them a chance to come down and play a serious game for once. If they win, woop di do. If Rangers and Celtic are so talented and deserving of a place in Britain's top league, why doesn't this talent manifest itself in matches against foreign opposition that aren't classified as friendlies. Why haven't Rangers won a European trophy since the cupwinners cup in the 1970s, despite winning the title 9 times in a row a few seasons back. Why haven't Celtic added to their European cup of 1967, despite almost 30 seasons of uninterupted involvement in European competition. I think that Celtic and Rangers probably could be competitive in the premier league if they joined, but I don't think we need them. I think they should do right by their country, and do more to help the game in their own league, instead of abandoning ship.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts