Xtratime Community banner

18161 - 18180 of 18237 Posts

·
Registered
17,644 Posts

·
Registered
17,644 Posts
On the other hand we did shit... surely we could at least swap Pinamonti for a more experienced striker within the league or loan someone in? No need for multi millions for that...
How long is it open for though? Till Feb 1st?

Only the very weakest teams (Benevento, Crotone etc) seem to value Pinamonti.

I also think letting Eriksen leave without a replacement would be idiotic. There is no guarantee that either Vecino or former footballer Stefano Sensi will be able to play any significant amount of games in the 2nd half of the season.

I still maintain we don't need LWB now anyhow with 5-6 options for that position in the current squad.
Kolarov doesn't count. But yeah, I think we can survive with Young/Darmian and then Perisic against weak defenses.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Pinamonti is unsellable, his salary is 3,3 m gross, which is much much more than any players earn at the smaller serie a sides who would want him.

Its an absurd salary really, for a player like him.

Pinamonti can basically only leave on loan where we pay the majority of his salary and then we hope he impresses enough for a bigger team to gamble on him in a permanent deal.

Buying pinamonti back for quite alot of money and offering him a fairly high salary was really a bonehead move by the management.

Even if eriksen is offloaded, I wouldn't count on anyone else joining. We can't pay player wages currently and we are also behind on our payments for hakimi and probably Lukaku as well. We are in such deep sh*t financially right now.

I guess crashing out of Europe had consequences after all... Who would have thought.

·
Registered
63,230 Posts
Owen and the Inter rumours in 1998: 'I studied Italian'
Football Italia
3 Hours Ago

Former England international Michael Owen has revealed he studied Italian in 1998 to be ready for a possible move to Inter.

The former Liverpool, Real Madrid, Newcastle and Manchester United forward, remembers interest from Massimo Moratti’s Inter in the late 1990’s.

“After the World Cup in 1998, when I was at Liverpool, there was interest from Italian clubs,” Owen told Sky Sport Italia.

“My manager at the time was the same as David Platt’s and he had a good relationship with many Presidents.

“There was certainly contact with [Massimo] Moratti’s Inter, and certainly with a couple of Italian clubs.

“I remember taking Italian lessons in case I had to go abroad. It never happened, but when I was young, Italian football was the best in the world.”

---

Ronaldo-Owen would have been interesting

Probably JZ was the one who recommended Owen after seeing his famous goal in France 98 in person...

·
Registered
63,230 Posts
Pinamonti is unsellable, his salary is 3,3 m gross, which is much much more than any players earn at the smaller serie a sides who would want him.

Its an absurd salary really, for a player like him.

Pinamonti can basically only leave on loan where we pay the majority of his salary and then we hope he impresses enough for a bigger team to gamble on him in a permanent deal.

Buying pinamonti back for quite alot of money and offering him a fairly high salary was really a bonehead move by the management.

Even if eriksen is offloaded, I wouldn't count on anyone else joining. We can't pay player wages currently and we are also behind on our payments for hakimi and probably Lukaku as well. We are in such deep sh*t financially right now.

I guess crashing out of Europe had consequences after all... Who would have thought.
9.5mill is what the club would have earned from UEFA for a last 16 appearance, a decent amount but hardly a huge figure.

·
Registered
254 Posts
We would have earned far more if we had done better. The 9,5m is purely for reaching the last 16, there are other factors.

1. Each win earns you 2,7m compared to 0,9m for a draw. We should have won atleast 2 more groupstage matches and no one knows how the last 16 would have went.

2. We would also have gotten a bigger share of the Italian performance based market pool. By finishing ad the worst Italian team in Europe, with basically every other Italian team progressing we get pretty much nothing.

If we had done the bare minimum of what is acceptable in such a pathetic group, meaning getting minimum 3 wins and progressing. Then it will be closer to 20m with a bigger share of the market pool.

Obviously even more with better groupstage results and possibly a quarter final.

But even the minimum of 20m goes a long way when you are completely broke like we are.

·
Registered
46,300 Posts
Owen and the Inter rumours in 1998: 'I studied Italian'
Football Italia
3 Hours Ago

Former England international Michael Owen has revealed he studied Italian in 1998 to be ready for a possible move to Inter.

The former Liverpool, Real Madrid, Newcastle and Manchester United forward, remembers interest from Massimo Moratti’s Inter in the late 1990’s.

“After the World Cup in 1998, when I was at Liverpool, there was interest from Italian clubs,” Owen told Sky Sport Italia.

“My manager at the time was the same as David Platt’s and he had a good relationship with many Presidents.

“There was certainly contact with [Massimo] Moratti’s Inter, and certainly with a couple of Italian clubs.

“I remember taking Italian lessons in case I had to go abroad. It never happened, but when I was young, Italian football was the best in the world.”

---

Ronaldo-Owen would have been interesting

Probably JZ was the one who recommended Owen after seeing his famous goal in France 98 in person...
Moratti was already a fan of EPL...he loved Ince and made sure he came when Moratti became President. I'm sure he followed the WC closely and was wowed by Owen's goal like most.

As for Owen, I think he'd have found Serie A attractive since it was super strong at the time. Big names in the league like Roberto Baggio, Ronaldo, etc. and you had Juventus in 3 consecutive CL Finals by the time WC 1998 rolled around. Our UEFA Cup win with Ronaldo would definitely have registered with him as well. I'm pretty sure that the quality of Italians who moved to the EPL like Zola, Ravanelli and Vialli (not to mention foreign Serie A stars like Desailly) would have played a role too.

Owen mentions Platt who played for @ToniSamp before his move to Arsenal in `95. Speaking of the Samp connection, how many people remember that Lee Sharpe joined them on loan in 98/99? 😁 Platt was the manager then. I didn't know about the loan until I saw Sharpe getting ready to come on as a sub...and I was like "wtf, is this real? But why?". Commentators were all on about how Sharpe would be Samp's saviour. Btw, Samp got relegated at the end of the season.

·
Registered
46,973 Posts
Replacing Spalletti with Platt was one of the biggest mistakes of the Sampdoria management ever. Platt remained for few games, 6-7-8 if I'm not wrong, but in those games Sampdoria lost an amount of points which in the end were fundamental for relegation. Spalletti did very well when he came back but he could not avoid relegation, also because of the infamous referee of Bologna-Sampdoria.

·
Registered
46,300 Posts
Player-managers were pretty fashionable then, no?

Just in the 90's, Chelsea had Hoddle, Gullit and Vialli all as player-managers. Our beloved Attilio Lombardo was one for Crystal Palace.

Reactions: ToniSamp

·
Registered
63,230 Posts
Azz,

Which CL group was tougher than ours? Atalanta were competing with an Ajax that sold its best players (De Jong, De Ligt, Van de beek, Ziyech..) and a team from Denmark. Lazio had Brugge and Zenit, and Brugge almost kicked them out. juve had 2 Mickey mouse teams that are weaker than any team in our group. Among the Italian clubs we had the toughest draw in the CL this season.

Anyhow Inter were very unfortunate in CL this season. We certainly deserved more points. We dominated both Shakhtar games, but sometimes you play well but don't win.

·
Registered
63,230 Posts
Moratti was already a fan of EPL...he loved Ince and made sure he came when Moratti became President. I'm sure he followed the WC closely and was wowed by Owen's goal like most.

As for Owen, I think he'd have found Serie A attractive since it was super strong at the time. Big names in the league like Roberto Baggio, Ronaldo, etc. and you had Juventus in 3 consecutive CL Finals by the time WC 1998 rolled around. Our UEFA Cup win with Ronaldo would definitely have registered with him as well. I'm pretty sure that the quality of Italians who moved to the EPL like Zola, Ravanelli and Vialli (not to mention foreign Serie A stars like Desailly) would have played a role too.

Owen mentions Platt who played for @ToniSamp before his move to Arsenal in `95. Speaking of the Samp connection, how many people remember that Lee Sharpe joined them on loan in 98/99? 😁 Platt was the manager then. I didn't know about the loan until I saw Sharpe getting ready to come on as a sub...and I was like "wtf, is this real? But why?". Commentators were all on about how Sharpe would be Samp's saviour. Btw, Samp got relegated at the end of the season.
Robbie Keane too.

Moratti also tried to sign Scholes and Giggs apparently. Alex Ferguson too, no?

As for Italians in EPL, I remember being impressed with Paolo Di Canio and Benito Carbone at Sheffield Wednesday. Late 90s early 2000s EPL was cool.

Reactions: ToniSamp

·
Registered
254 Posts
Among the Italian clubs we had the toughest draw in the CL this season.
Who cares? This is not an argument for anything, I don't know why you keep mentioning this. It doesn't matter if the other Italian teams had even crappier groups, how is that relevant to our failure to beat crap teams? It was still a weak group, especially considering we were in pot 3 and got the easiest team from pot 2.

Shaktar and gladbach are clubs with 1/2 - 1/4 of our player value. These are not teams we should be able to crash out to considering the vast difference in player potential. It's a disgrace to finish 4th in such a group, not to mention including one of the worst real Madrid sides in decades.

We were extremely fortunate at getting shaktar, who was by far the worst team in pot 2. Yet we failed miserably.

Is cute that you keep trying to find excuses for your buddie cunte, but seriously just stop already. Fact is that failing to go through this weak group was an astronomical failure and there are fairly big economical consequences because of it.

·
Registered
63,230 Posts
Conte is not my buddy, he is simply the coach of my team. And seeing as he has overall done well since arriving here I support him. I understand you hate him because of Eriksen though so that's up to you. If Conte was benching an Egyptian player at Inter, say Salah, I wouldn't care much as long as the team is scoring goals and winning matches.

Inter got 4/6 from Gladbach. That is more than acceptable. Effectively what knocked us out were the Shakhtar draws. I don't know if you watched those matches but they were dominated by Inter, just the goal was missing. Conte won against the same team 5-0 in EL.

Having Shakhtar as pot 2 was alright, but we ended up getting the best pot 4 team so that made the group tricky.

Ours was the most balanced group, even the tough group of Man U, PSG and Leipzig had 1 clearly inferior team (Basaksehir)

The worst Real in decades won the league a few months ago. Let's not exaggerate. You can say that were better before say in 2017 for instance but worst in decades? Not really.

·
Registered
63,230 Posts
Were you happy with the officiating in our CL matches btw?

·
Registered
254 Posts
It's not about hating cunte or his eriksen treatment, as I've said about 50 times now I expected eriksen-cunte to be a match made in hell which would never work even before he joined.

You can blame refs and bad luck all you want (like always) , but the fact remains that as far as results goes, Cunte has not been worth his absurdly high salary, which is among the highest in Europe.

The CL is too big of a source of income for it to be acceptable for a coach who earns 12m net to do this poorly with the players he has available and the against the opposition he has faced.

·
Registered
63,230 Posts
No one said that it is acceptable to be eliminated from Europe. But if he is doing well domestically then he isn't a total failure like you make it seem he is. CL isn't the only competition we participate in. He also reached EL final last season and lost a close match to the EL kings.

Is Conte to blame for Lautaro missing an open goal away to Shakhtar? That was the difference between 0-0 and 0-1. Or for Lukaku denying Sanchez a goal? That was the difference between 0-0 and 1-0. Details. Please explain how Conte is to blame for top international strikers making such mistakes? Or do you only look at scorelines and that's it?

Don't you think it's weird that officiating was against us in 50% of our CL campaign? If refs screw you over in 3 out of 6 matches it certainly isn't Conte's fault.

Saying that I always blame refs is a lie. Show me where I blamed refs for losing EL final?

Show me examples of me blaming refs for CL elimination last season? Or in 18-19? Or when Frankfurt beat us in EL? Or when we failed in EL groupstage 16-17?

Don't talk nonsense please.

When refs screw us I complain, when they are fair I don't talk about them.

We just deservedly won against our biggest rival and you are calling him 'Cunte', whatever dude.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Bottom line is that when you are being paid over 20m in gross salary, then it's simply not enough to only do good in the domestic league, particularly when there is so much important revenue to be gained in the CL. That makes him a financial liability to the club.

Singling out a few specific incidents or missed chances to somehow exonerate cunte of all blame is laughable. Particularly when we are talking about fairly weak opponents. There will always be missed chances and incidents occasionally, but that hardly means those games shouldn't have been won anyways or that the coach is not to blame.

Failing horribly in Europe is a pattern with cunte anyways, or perhaps he is just always unlucky lol.

·
Registered
17,644 Posts

·
Registered
63,230 Posts
Bottom line is that when you are being paid over 20m in gross salary, then it's simply not enough to only do good in the domestic league, particularly when there is so much important revenue to be gained in the CL. That makes him a financial liability to the club.

Singling out a few specific incidents or missed chances to somehow exonerate cunte of all blame is laughable. Particularly when we are talking about fairly weak opponents. There will always be missed chances and incidents occasionally, but that hardly means those games shouldn't have been won anyways or that the coach is not to blame.

Failing horribly in Europe is a pattern with cunte anyways, or perhaps he is just always unlucky lol.
No, obviously he is not 'just always unlucky in Europe', but this season specifically he was unfortunate. Missed chances aside, with proper and fair use of VAR against Real and Shakhtar (that rhymed lol) he reaches last 16.

You yourself said that luck is needed in CL, especially as it's a short term tournament, so now luck doesn't count?

Man U won 2 CLs due to Bayern hitting 2 goal frames in 99 and Terry slipping in 2008.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Seems leicester are very serious about loaning eriksen until end of season. Though they don't want to pay his entire salary (same as other interested teams), but I think in the end they will do it, we should definitely not agree to pay anything of his salary, that would be pointless.

Leicester would be a great loan for him, for all involved parties tbh. He would be a certain starter there as they lost praet to a long time injury, so they desperately need an AM.

From inters perspective, we would save 7-8m in salary and a good 4 months of playing regularly at leicester + hopefully a good euro in the summer should make his value rise abit and make it much more likely to sell him in the summer.

From the players perspective, he would finally play again and get ready for the euros and although leicester probably isn't his dream move, I doubt he would mind it on loan until the summer and then also team up with kasper Schmeichel there.

Everyone would be happy with that move, hopefully it happens.

18161 - 18180 of 18237 Posts