Xtratime Community banner

17281 - 17286 of 17286 Posts

·
Registered
15,596 Posts
Mertens has agreed a contract renewal with Napoli according to Fabrizio Romano in the Guardian... Pity if true, although his age is a major concern, especially on that salary....

The club will have to find another solution given that Sanchez will leave. Maybe Conte should seriously consider having Eriksen as support behind Lukaku in a midfield 4

I still love the idea of Barella-Brozo-Sensi-Eriksen. What a midfield that would be.

Calciomercato say Werner is open to an Inter transfer. Doubt there's much truth to it, but who knows.... Selling Lautaro and getting Vidal+Semedo+enough cash for Werner would be amazing.

·
Greta joke sharer
23,226 Posts
Mertens has agreed a contract renewal with Napoli according to Fabrizio Romano in the Guardian... Pity if true, although his age is a major concern, especially on that salary....

The club will have to find another solution given that Sanchez will leave. Maybe Conte should seriously consider having Eriksen as support behind Lukaku in a midfield 4

I still love the idea of Barella-Brozo-Sensi-Eriksen. What a midfield that would be.

Calciomercato say Werner is open to an Inter transfer. Doubt there's much truth to it, but who knows.... Selling Lautaro and getting Vidal+Semedo+enough cash for Werner would be amazing.
That would require Conte to ditch the three man defense though. I can't visualize there being enough movement with just Lukaku supported by Eriksen and a couple of shoddy wingbacks.

Maybe if we dusted off the good old 4-3-1-2 from the Mancio/Mourinho era.

·
Registered
15,596 Posts
That would require Conte to ditch the three man defense though. I can't visualize there being enough movement with just Lukaku supported by Eriksen and a couple of shoddy wingbacks.

Maybe if we dusted off the good old 4-3-1-2 from the Mancio/Mourinho era.
If there's one thing he loves, it's a 3-man defense. He won't change that.

I was thinking of the 3-4-1-1, even if I seriously doubt Conte will ever use it.

He did use it in the 2nd half against Milan (after the De Vrij goal) and it was pretty effective at keeping Milan under lock and key. Eriksen hit the bar (OK, it was a free kick so basically independent of any tactical stuff that was going on) and Barella missed a 1-1 with Donarouma. I'm not saying it was a vintage performance and obviously Milan were going to leave gaps at the back and be exposed, but I wouldn't personally discount the 3-4-1-1 completely. Between those 4 midfielders there is a lot of trickery and ingenuity.

That said, I will fall off my chair if the club doesn't try and sign Abaumeyang or Werner as a direct replacement for Lautaro, along with another striker to replace Sanchez.

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
You mean 3-5-1-1, dude

Yeah it could give us more midfield control and would give the wbs more freedom especially when Eriksen drops back but surely a possible new Cf like Werner/Auba won't accept being a Lukaku backup.

Shame about Mertens, he knows the league and knows Lukaku..

I wonder if the Hakimi links are true, he can play both flanks and we tend to do well with ex Real players.. Real have Carvajal on the right and Marcelo & Mendy on the left so they may consider selling Hakimi.

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Inter step up Cavani talks
Football Italia

Inter are in intensive negotiations with Paris Saint-Germain striker Edinson Cavani, claims Sky Sport Italia transfer expert Gianluca Di Marzio.

The rumours of interest in Cavani, who will be a free agent at the end of this season, had already been circulating for some time.
With Dries Mertens seemingly deciding to sign a new contract with Napoli, Cavani becomes the next prime target to bring experience to Antonio Conte’s side for no transfer fee.

Atletico Madrid had been very eager to secure Uruguay international Cavani, who turned 33 in February, while Manchester United and Newcastle United were Premier League options.

He has plenty of Serie A experience, playing for Palermo and then Napoli until his €64m switch to PSG in 2013.

The Matador scored seven goals with three assists in 22 competitive games for PSG this season, but was pushed aside by Mauro Icardi, who funnily enough arrived on loan from Inter

---

Would be rather similar to us signing Batistuta and Forlan in their 30s and neither did much at Inter. Who knows though we may get a good season from him..

·
Registered
15,596 Posts
3-5-1-1 yeah :cautious:

I'm in 2 minds about Cavani. He is still good but clearly has injury problems and his salary and signing on fee would be enormous. And I doubt he'd be happy about the bench, assuming that the club will try and sign Werner or Aubaumeyang.

For what it's worth Ahmed, Mertens and Cavani are the same age (Cavani just a couple of months older). Out of the two of them I would have preferred Mertens (less ego, no injuries, probably lower salary) but what can you do...

17281 - 17286 of 17286 Posts