Xtratime Community banner

17241 - 17248 of 17248 Posts

·
Registered
57,648 Posts
Inter eye Belgian duo

By Football Italia staff

Inter are eyeing up Belgian duo Dries Mertens and Jan Vertonghen on free transfers this summer, according to reports in Italy.

The Nerazzurri have been linked with a move for Mertens for several months.
The Napoli striker’s contract expires at the end of the season, and talks have been on-going with the Partenopei over a renewal.

Calciomercato.com states that contacts have been initiated between Inter and Mertens’ entourage over a deal, with the club willing to pay the 32-year-old the wages he’s seeking from Napoli.

Il Corriere dello Sport meanwhile suggests that Inter are also interested in Mertens’ teammate with the Belgium national side, Jan Vertonghen.

Like Mertens, the Spurs defender’s contract also expires at the end of the season, and it is believed that the club would like to bring Vertonghen in should Diego Godin leave the Nerazzurri at the end of the season.
Godin only joined Inter last summer from Atletico Madrid, but is rumoured to be not completely settled in Italy, despite getting plenty of game time under boss Antonio Conte.

---

Mertens and Vertonghen on bosmans, hard to say no to that.. I imagine Lukaku would be delighted too.

Vertonghen can play as a left sided CB or LWB so he would fit nicely. Always thought highly of him tbh.

would still keep Godin for another season though.

·
Registered
43,525 Posts
Vertonghen def seems unsettled. He'd be good for us, imo. I suppose Mertens is supposed to be a replacement for Lautaro...who may leave this summer with the biggest clubs after his signature.

I think there may well be something to the reports regarding Godin. He hasn't been terrible but he hasn't been having a great time. It looks like he's lost a bit of sharpness which becomes noticeable when the pressure is high. It's led to a number of turnovers which he clearly isn't happy with.

The obvious answer would be to put him in the centre where he has more time on the ball and won't be "disrespected" so much and where he has at least double the passing outlets. But he doesn't have the gas to play most minutes in every game. De Vrij, a mainstay, can't be expected to switch so much and he's already proven in the centre, both under pressure and while bringing the ball forward especially in games where Brozovic is receiving lots of attention. Skriniar is versatile and can play anywhere so he switches from the right to the left when Bastoni is on the pitch. So it makes sense that Godin is where he is.

·
Registered
43,525 Posts
Following on from the above, I hope the Kumbulla rumours are true. The rumours are that we don't want to lose out on the guy and the club will make sure we get him. He looks like he could be a real force. Excellent anticipation and one of those players who begins reacting when most others would still be ball-watching.

He'd be a timely replacement for Godin so it's a move for the present and future. A back-3 of Kumbulla, de Vrij and Skriniar sounds very good to me.

·
Registered
57,648 Posts
Skriniar is versatile and can play anywhere so he switches from the right to the left when Bastoni is on the pitch.
You mean the other way round, Skriniar switches from left to right when Bastoni plays.

·
Registered
43,525 Posts
Yes, wrote the opposite of what I meant. Bastoni's always on the left.

Kumbulla looks like he'd be fine playing either side but looks like he's probably more comfortable on the right, which suits us very well.

·
Registered
15,441 Posts
Kumbulla is coming as Godin's replacement so Vertonghen is not needed. And there's still Bastoni and D'Ambro.

Vertonghen is not the player he used to be and honestly has Vidic/Godin written all over him.

Mertens I would take though, but only for depth. If Lautaro leaves, the club needs to sign a proper replacement, even though there is nothing out there on the market (hence Real and Barca are desperate for Lautaro).

·
Registered
57,648 Posts
Has Godin been as bad as Vidic? I don't think so. He's been ok. The games he directly cost us goals were against Barca, that aside I don't remember many faults and I would like him to stay another season. This should be the final season of Asamoah though if we are talking old players departing.

The good thing about Vertonghen is that he is used to 3 man defence and can play outwide as a left wingback as well. On a bosman it's a no brainer imo.

We don't know yet what the club will do with Alexis, and how much Man U will ask... so we might get Mertens and a new CF while Lautaro and Alexis go. Interesting summer ahead.

·
Registered
15,441 Posts
Solskjaer has already said Alexis is going back to Man U. And then there is the pure insanity of his wages.

There is surely a 0% chance of him staying. His agent is not going to let him take a 60% pay cut to play for Inter.

Mertens for me would be a great signing. High wages but thoroughly proven in Italy. He has dropped off a little in the last year but still a very dangerous forward.

Godin has not been bad but still somewhat disappointing. Although I get that he is being played out of position after playing CB his whole career. If he wants to stay, fine, but there are sounds out of the club that he's not settled. May just be rumours, but who know....

Selling him and signing Kumbulla makes sense IMO.

Vertonghen - I have no problem with signing him as long as the wages aren't too mad. Wages affect our FFP status in a big way

17241 - 17248 of 17248 Posts