Xtratime Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Preview: Man Utd v Everton

Sir Alex Ferguson has already assured Rio Ferdinand of his place in the starting line-up against Everton.

However, Roy Keane will miss out as he is suffering from a tight hamstring and Ferguson believes two games in three days would be too much for him.

Cristiano Ronaldo is in contention to replace Darren Fletcher.

Everton are set to restore Tony Hibbert to their team after an injury to Alessandro Pistone.

The Italian is sidelined for several weeks with a shoulder injury he suffered in Saturday's win over Leicester, while Joseph Yobo (neck) and David Weir (knee) are unavailable.

Manager David Moyes must decide whether to play Wayne Rooney from the start after two goalscoring appearances as a substitute, or stick with the Kevin Campbell-Tomasz Radzinski partnership.

Last season: Everton 1 Man Utd 2; Man Utd 3 Everton 0

Last five league matches: Man Utd W L W W W; Everton W L D W W

Top scorers: Ruud van Nistelrooy (Man Utd) 17; Tomasz Radzinski, Steve Watson (Everton) 5

Match odds: H 1-5 A 10-1 D 4-1

Referee: M Dean (Wirral)

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
i have a bad feeling about this one..im also going for 1-1

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I actually have a great feeling about this one: 3-0! [Ruud x3]

------------Timmy-------------
Gazza-Rio-Mickey-Johnny
Ronnie-Klebberz-Keano-Giggsy
-----------------Scholesy------
-------------Ruud--------------

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
reports are saying keano wont play......
butt should get a chance,....fergie has totally frozen him out

we should play the usual defence and keeper

with

ronaldo kleberson butt giggs
--------------scholes
---------------rvn

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
I'm a little unsure on predicting this game, last season Everton were fantastic, this season they haven't started as well.

Apparently Keano will not be playing, this is a blow but but i still expect us to seal all 3 points.Hopefully Butt will come out of the freezer and get his chance to play.

ronaldo kleberson butt giggs
--------------scholes
---------------rvn

This midfield/attack sounds very good to me but our right side is still very weak, Fletcher is better defensively than Ronaldo but he looks lost at times. Ronaldo is so frustrating when he loses the ball when trying to dribble it round players. We need to bring in someone with some experience and gradually introduce Ronaldo&Fletcher and not just throw them on for 90 minutes.

Even thought this is probably our strongest line up i highly doubt Fergie will go with it, it looks certain he will put in Neville again and maybe even push Giggs up next to Ruud.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
AN injury blow to Roy Keane has sparked a Boxing Day scrap for his Manchester United place.

The Reds captain has been ruled out of the Old Trafford encounter with Everton because of a hamstring problem.

And Sir Alex Ferguson's medical staff are now battling to get the influential Irishman ready for United's tough trip to Middlesbrough on Sunday.

"Roy felt his hamstring tighten at Spurs on Sunday and he's out for the Everton match," Fergie told M.E.N. Sport.

"It's not a pull, and the fact that he came off as soon as it started to tighten gives us hope for the Middlesbrough match at the Riverside on Sunday."

Keane's absence could provide a window of opportunity for a frustrated Nicky Butt.

He has been kept on the sidelines by Phil Neville's impressive form as United's new anchor-man, and been forced to deny rumours of a fall-out with his boss.

Competition

But the England player, who has started just eight games for United this term, will face competition from Kleberson for the Keane vacancy against the Merseysiders.

The Brazilian has appeared in six of United's last eight matches, and an upturn in his form - after dislocating his shoulder two games into his Old Trafford career - has added to the competition in the Reds' engine-room.

United went to the top of the league after the Tottenham victory at White Hart Lane and Fergie said: "We played well at Spurs but once again we went to sleep after getting into a commanding position.

"But we are up where we want to be at this stage of the season. It is not going to be an easy league to win and we have to keep the pressure on."

The Reds will find solace in their impressive recent record against Everton .

Since their 1995 FA Cup Final reverse against the Toffeemen, Sir Alex Ferguson side have won 14 of their 16 Premier League meetings, drawing the other two.

Ferguson has already assured Rio Ferdinand of his place in the starting line-up, while Cristiano Ronaldo is in contention to replace Darren Fletcher.

Provisional squad: Howard, Carroll, G Neville, Ferdinand, Silvestre, O'Shea, Fortune, Forlan, Fletcher, P Neville, Butt, Kleberson, Ronaldo, Giggs, Van Nistelrooy, Bellion, Djemba-Djemba.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Keane is out injured, so i think Butt will come in...........but faces competition from Kleberson. Ronaldo is supposedly going to be rested over the Xmas period, so fletcher sould start on the right, although i wouldn't mind seeing kleberson having a pop there.......i dont think its gonna happen, here's my team.

----------------Howard--------------------

---Gazza---Rio---Silvestre---O'Shea---

---------------Butt---Phizza---------------

-------Fletcher---Scholes---Giggs-------

---------------Van Nistelrooy--------------

I think it should be quite an easy game.......I'm going for 3-1......Ruudx2 and Schloes

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
Yes, it seems like Keane is out for this game. I think Butt should and will be given a chance in this game. I think this is how our starting line-up will look like:

---------------------------Timmy
---G. Nev------Rio------Micky-----O'Shea
---Ronaldo----Butt------Kleberson---Giggs
--------------------Scholes
---------------------RVN

I dont think it will be a tough game for us (atleast I hope it wont). I predict a 2-0 win for us.

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
Fergie has fielded an under strength team:( and the last time we did this we lost against fulham.

I know there is a lot of games in the next few weeks, but fergie has changed the whole midfield and attack from our last game. Keano is injured, fair enough, but why did he have to take off ruud, giggsy and scholesy at the same time:mad:
HE could have rested one of them, and give bellion a place, rather then changing all 3 of them.
We better win this game and take advantage at the top, as chelsea just got hammered by charlton.

team selection for this match

-----------howard

neville rio silvestre oshea

ronaldo kleberson butt fortune

-------bellion forlan

we need ronaldo and kleberson to play at the top of their game, as they are the only 2 players that could create something. Its good that bellion is getting a start, because he has potential and if he fullfills it, he will become superb and forlan hopefully has a good match and not 1 like the chelsea game:depress:

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
It was a reasonably comfortable win except for the last 3/4 mins. We fielded an understrength team and I was a bit nervous about it. It was good to see Butt back in the starting line-up.

Butt had started off playing quite well, but unfortunately faded out as the game progressed. Kleberson and Fortune, played well in patches. Forlan looked quite lively in the first half, but was unimpressive in the second.

Ronaldo was the opposite of Forlan; he made about 4 or 5 horrible crosses in the first half and was getting on my nerves with his ineffective tricks.

In the second half though, his tricks were working out quite well and that frustrated a lot of Everton players including Wayne Rooney. I personally feel that for Ronaldo to be among the best in the future, he will have to improve on his crosses immensely. Scholes played decently well after he came on as a sub.

The worrying thing for me was the fact that both O'Shea and Sylvestre walked off the park injured!! With Ferdinand's ban about to start, we cant afford to have any of the above mentioned players out for a long time. Sylvetre's injury looked quite serious to me. I hope he recovers from it soon.

I am just glad that we hung on at the end and came out with a win. Chelsea got a drubbing from Charlton....its a two horse-race alright, but I guess the reporter was wrong in picking the horses ;).

·
Registered
57,649 Posts
Ronaldo played a great match IMO. I Dunno how come Rooney wasn't sent-off for this ugly challenge on Ronaldo ??

Everton were CRAP. Howard's first save came after 74 minutes !! From McFadden's left footed effort.

Easy win.

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
I too think that Ronaldo had a great match. He might have made some bad crosses and had some bad freekicks, but he was very lively and his vision was great today. He put a great through ball for kleberson just before butt scored, and then he made 2 wonderful crosses for bellion, who missed a very easy chance with a header, but scored later on from another ronaldo cross. The good thing about him is that, as the games are passing, he is now looking for the easier options rather than just trying to dribble past a defender. Bellion also is impressing when he is getting a chance and if he and ronaldo develop to their full potential they will be awesome in the future.
About rooneys tackle there is not much to say apart from:yuck:

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
Now we need to beat Middlesborough who beat us last season. Fergie said that O'shea is definitely out, who will be replaced by fortune at left back, while an even worse news is that Silvestre could be out too, who has been our best defender this season. Brown could replace Silvestre (if he doesnt make it) if he is match fit, or Keano coculd partner Rio, with Butt and Kleberson taking the centre midfield positions

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good game, especally since fergie changed his whole midfield and attack.No Gigggs, Van Nistelrooy, Scholes or Keane in the starting line, David Moye thought we was gonna have the best Christmas ever..........unfortunately it wasn't gonn happen.

Ronaldo had a cracker of a game.At last we see some of the talent we were promised.......and he quite deservedly won man of the match..............he was a thorn in everton's side, especially in the second half.

Nice to seee butt again, and his confidence must have been helped with a goal. I thing he might be called up for the boro game, but u never know with fergie, do u?

Bellion got his goal, although he should have scored that header from point blank range........Kleberson was on fire, there's nothing that man can do wrong...........and i hope to see a lot more of him in the future..............definitely one of the better buys this summer.

the only low point was that 2 of our defenders limped off and are doubtful for the Boro game. Brown is fit, but i doubt he's match fit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts