Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 10(?) years ago Ivory Coast did quite well in the Africa Cup reaching the final. Eversince we didn't really here much about this African football power except maybe the fact that the dictatorial regime put away the NT in a punishement camp after another lost game or failed tournament.

Still all logioc now says that this has to be one maybe the comming nation in Africa. They have a young generation comming that has everything you need in modern football: strenght, speed, dazzling technique and experience at the highest level. A couple of their players are:

Kolo Touré (Arsenal)
Yaya Touré (Shaktar Donesk)
Aruna Dindane (RSC Anderlecht)
Didier Drogba (Marseille)

Along with some less famous youngsters (e.g. at Beveren) this team is bound to have some succes. In this topic just post everything related to Ivory Coast football :)

·
Registered
59,077 Posts
and also the more experienced Bonaventura Kalou and Ibrahim Bakayoko! :cool:

I'm really surprised that they didn't manage to qualify for the cup of nations later this month. I guess their best players didn't play :eek:

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I forot about Kalou (Auxerre) who also is a brilliant player. I don't know if bakayoko still plays though. With Aruna they certainly have a younger and better player for upfront.

·
Registered
59,077 Posts
Yeah, Bakayoko is still around. At Osasuna, but I'm not sure if he plays often for them. Aruna certainly has a lot more talent than Bakayoko who I remember from his days at Everton :eek: he has a great goal celebration tho :cool:

·
Registered
548 Posts
Re: The Ivory Coast thread

gOD said:
About 10(?) years ago Ivory Coast did quite well in the Africa Cup reaching the final.
Actually, the Ivorian "Elephants" won the African Nations cup trophy for the first time (and only time thus far) in a dramatic 11-10 penalty shoot-out victory over Ghana's Black Stars in Dakar back in 1992.

I couldn't agree any more you all you fellas on the kind of talent the Ivorians possess nowadays. In fact, I think they've got arguably the most enterprising and talented crop of attacking players on the continent as we type. Other players like Kandia Traore, the Keita brothers, Antonin Kantouan and Zezinato have proven (at least) on the african continent that they're explosive and capable strikers.

Honestly it shouldn't be surprising seeing the kinds of attacking players the Ivorians are producing today. The Ivory Coast has always produced prolific strikers ever since the days of the great Laurent Pokou (africa's answer to Europe's Gerd Muller) in the late 60's and 70's. More recently, players like Youssef Fofona(formerly of Monaco), Joel Tiehi, Michael Bassole, Kassy Kwadjo, Serge Alain Magui, Sekou Bamba and my personal favorite Abdoulaye Traore (aka Ben Badi) have been household names on the African football circuit.

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Re: The Ivory Coast thread

Valdano said:
Actually, the Ivorian "Elephants" won the African Nations cup trophy for the first time (and only time thus far) in a dramatic 11-10 penalty shoot-out victory over Ghana's Black Stars in Dakar back in 1992.
Yep that was the final I was aiming at. I just couldn't remember when it was and if Ivory Coast won or lost.7

Anyway do you think this explosion of talent has anything to do with the academies that are set up there? For example those of ASEC Abidjan where the players are trained withthe aim of playing in Europe once.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Re: Re: Re: The Ivory Coast thread

gOD said:
Anyway do you think this explosion of talent has anything to do with the academies that are set up there? For example those of ASEC Abidjan where the players are trained withthe aim of playing in Europe once.
Definitely gOD! La Cote "d" Ivoire, like many other African countries, is a gold mine for football talent. It's all about creating ways to harness and tap this talent on the continent, and football academies do just about that for the major part. Football academies surely have their benefits.

I don't think they're the only reason for the "explosion" of talented football players for the Ivory Coast, however it has surely contributed immensely to it.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Ivorian players... also Lassissi (that right-back from Roma) and Olivier Tebily (ex-celtic, I believe he's now playing for Birmingham) come to mine. :)
Also Arouna Koné (Roda JC) can turn into a great player.

·
Registered
142 Posts

[snip]

Honestly it shouldn't be surprising seeing the kinds of attacking players the Ivorians are producing today. The Ivory Coast has always produced prolific strikers ever since the days of the great Laurent Pokou (africa's answer to Europe's Gerd Muller) in the late 60's and 70's. More recently, players like Youssef Fofona(formerly of Monaco), Joel Tiehi, Michael Bassole, Kassy Kwadjo, Serge Alain Magui, Sekou Bamba and my personal favorite Abdoulaye Traore (aka Ben Badi) have been household names on the African football circuit. [/B][/QUOTE]

surely, you cannot forget Basile Boli another great Ivorian striker; after all, he combined with our Abedi to bring Marseille to Champions League glory ;)

kwame

·
Registered
548 Posts

Kwame_Toronto said:
surely, you cannot forget Basile Boli another great Ivorian striker; after all, he combined with our Abedi to bring Marseille to Champions League glory ;)

kwame
Not exactly my namesake Ghanaian brother. You might be confusing Basile with his brother Roger, who was a pretty good striker in the French Championant in the late 80's and early 90's. Remember, Basile Boli was the robust defender who still managed to score crucial goals for OM and Les bleus.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
yeah there is some great Ivory players around for sure..
but the one that I think stinks is Abdoulaye Meïté at L ´OM :yuck:
he is so clumsy and slow and ugly its makes me sick seeing him:nasty:

other civ players:

Didier Drogba - L´OM:star: (very good)
Ibrahima Bakayoko - Osasuna (sux)
Cyril Domoraud - Espanyol ( OK player)
Bonaventure Kalou - Auxerre (Fantastic player really:star: )
Gérard Gnanhouan - Sochaux (The Ivory Coast NT keeper)

some players...

·
Registered
303 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
If la "Cote d'Ivoire" manage to get to the world cup, they'll be brilliant.

But in Africa ,they'll never do something. Since they won the CAN they were a disaster.
At the last CAN they were crap,the only good player was Kader Keita (Qatar).

·
Registered
859 Posts

Valdano said:
What a game that was,
I miss those Africa cup of nations from the 90s, that's when i was home and everybody was busy following up man, it was just great, here in the US no one gives a crap except when i was in school with a bunch of my continent-mates.

Ivory Coast played brilliant football in 1994 as well but i think they were eliminated at the quarterfinal stage, i don't remember which team they played but that was quite a game, since then they haven't really done anything of note. but i have to agree they have some very talented players... but that's the story of Africa anyway.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Yeah, Those were great africa cups. Tactically probably 10 times worse than african soccer at the moment, but like 10 times more entertaining. :)

I still see a big future for Ivorian soccer.

-A lot of famous french coatches are heading for the Ivory Coast
-They're building some great football-academies over there
-Ivory coast have one of the strongest football league's in Africa
-Ivory coast has a pretty western lifestyle (in comparisasion with some other african countries) which makes it pretty easy for Ivorians to adjust abroad.
-They have loads of good players
-Their good relationship with the french will offer a lot of good players to play in Europe.

Watch my words, if the Ivory coast manages to reach the WC of 2006 they will be one of the suprises. They can be the same revelation Senegal was a few years ago.

BTW: Yesterday Ivorian Aruna Dindane (Anderlecht) was the first African to win the belgian golden boot. (price for best player in the belgian league). :star: :thumbsup:

http://www.xtratime.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=123254

·
Registered
548 Posts

eringi said:
What a game that was,
What a game that ACN 92 final was. I couldn't agree with you any more. 120 minutes of pure action and drama. It surely ranks as the most entertaining 0-0 regulation time draw game I've ever seen. Though I admit I'm biased, Ghana deserved to win that game. We attacked way more than the Ivorians who defended and played on the counter throughout the match. Prince Polley missed a first half sitter for Ghana. Then in the very last minute of extra-time Joel Tiehi miss a chance that looked easier to score than to miss....Wow I remember that so much.....folks back in Ghana miss their heart beats around at that point. Then the marathon penalty shootout! Awesome! The penalty takers showed excellent calmness converting their kicks. Can't believe just two players missed their kicks after 22 kicks i.e. Isaac Asare and Joel Teihi. Then in the second round of penalty kicks, Aka Kouame scored for CIV and Tony Baffoe (Ghana's captain of the day in place of the suspended Maestro Abedi Pele) shot into the arms of Alain Gouamene in goal for CIV. How painful.....but that's life. Lots of Ghanaians still believe that if Abedi Pele had played a different story would have been written in the history books. But the Ivorians played HARD....and we've got to give them credit! They were worthy champions!!

I miss those Africa cup of nations from the 90s, that's when i was home and everybody was busy following up man, it was just great, here in the US no one gives a crap except when i was in school with a bunch of my continent-mates.
It just sad the way football (and I don't mean that Hand "ball-like" game they get so sucked into, I mean the real thing) is unappreciated in this country i.e. The USA.
-
Ivory Coast played brilliant football in 1994 as well but i think they were eliminated at the quarterfinal stage, i don't remember which team they played but that was quite a game, since then they haven't really done anything of note. but i have to agree they have some very talented players... but that's the story of Africa anyway.
CIV were defending champions in 1994 in Tunisia. They played well in that tournament, finishing third in the long run. They lost in the Semi-finals to Nigeria in a penalty shoot-out after an entertaining 2-2 draw. CIV were more attacking in 1994 than they were two year before. I guess you can credit this to their then coach Henri Kazperczak for their their refined attacking approach. But you'll also have to give their local coach Yeo Martial credit for their defensive discipline back in 1992.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Kampfschwein said:
Yeah, Those were great africa cups. Tactically probably 10 times worse than african soccer at the moment, but like 10 times more entertaining. :)
-

Very good observation Kampfschwein. "10 times" on either side of your point is a little on the exaggerating side in my opinion.......;) But I agree with your general observation though!

·
Registered
859 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: The Ivory Coast thread

Valdano said:

CIV were defending champions in 1994 in Tunisia. They played well in that tournament, finishing third in the long run. They lost in the Semi-finals to Nigeria in a penalty shoot-out after an entertaining 2-2 draw. CIV were more attacking in 1994 than they were two year before. I guess you can credit this to their then coach Henri Kazperczak for their their refined attacking approach. But you'll also have to give their local coach Yeo Martial credit for their defensive discipline back in 1992.
Man you remember your history well.. now that game comes to mind pretty well.. it was during the war in Rwanda and i remember really having nothing else to do but to watch those games... i remember that's the year Nigeria just shocked everyone, with Yekini and them... those boys went to the World Cup and they were just so stupid not to eliminate Italy.

I definetely agree about those games being way more entertaining but tactically poor.. but if you remember 92.... people like Abedi Pele were just on another level...

·
Registered
548 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Ivory Coast thread

eringi said:
. i remember that's the year Nigeria just shocked everyone, with Yekini and them... those boys went to the World Cup and they were just so stupid not to eliminate I

but if you remember 92.... people like Abedi Pele were just on another level...
Nigeria messed up big time in USA 94. That game against the "almost always lucky" Italy was their for the taking! :fero: Italy had no business getting to the quarter finals that time around.

Abedi :strong: was simply marvellous in Senegal 92. Whaaaat!! .:fero: In fact, CIV should count themselves very lucky

·
Registered
943 Posts
Kampfschwein said:

I still see a big future for Ivorian soccer.

-A lot of famous french coatches are heading for the Ivory Coast
-They're building some great football-academies over there
-Ivory coast have one of the strongest football league's in Africa
-Ivory coast has a pretty western lifestyle (in comparisasion with some other african countries) which makes it pretty easy for Ivorians to adjust abroad.
-They have loads of good players
-Their good relationship with the french will offer a lot of good players to play in Europe.

Watch my words, if the Ivory coast manages to reach the WC of 2006 they will be one of the suprises. They can be the same revelation Senegal was a few years ago.

BTW: Yesterday Ivorian Aruna Dindane (Anderlecht) was the first African to win the belgian golden boot. (price for best player in the belgian league). :star: :thumbsup:

http://www.xtratime.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=123254
Couldn't agree more.
It will be damn hard for them to reach next WC because they face Egypt and Cameroon in their group and only 1 team can qualify! :star:
They should play with three attackers: Kalou on the right, Drogba in the centre and Aruna on the left. Kolo Touré is a very good player aswell, he deserves to get a place in their first 11, best possible on the right flank. I don't know where Lassisi is playing at the moment, after he left AS Roma I didn't hear a word about him. But he should be ready for the NT.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts