Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after a pretty successful 2007/08 we move into yet another summer sure to be full of transfer tittle tattle, near-misses and the keys C,R,O,U & H crumbling due to overuse at the local rag headquarters. :rollani:

Rumours thus far include:

Danny Haynes (who played in Kanu's charity match this year a la Sulley last season)
Sidney Govou
Edu (the old Arsenal one)
Harry Kewell
Zoltan Gera
Mauro Zarate (denied by Storrie)
Jimmy Bullard
Younes Kaboul (swap deal involving Muntari)

and of course the modern days Basinases

Peter Crouch
John Mensah
Jonas Gutierrez

In terms of those heading out, FA Cup hero Kanu is out of contract, with Pedro Mendes and Sean Davis also supposedly looking for first team football, although that seems unlikely with the clubs they're being linked with (Villa and Everton respectively).

Niko has been linked with both Arsenal and Liverpool in the past couple of months, with Sulley and Jamo touted as Spurs' targets. ]

In terms of done deals we've already signed two more youngsters to add to last season's successful academy squad, PSG kid Gaël N'Lundulu and WBA defender James Hurst.

Regarding current loanees, I certainly can't see us taking up the £5m permanent option in Baros' loan deal although an unsuccessful summer may see us signing him on August 31st at a knockdown price.

Aubey has impressed in the sporadic appearances he's made this season and would be a worthy permanent addition to the squad, can't see relegated Lens wanting too much for him either.

·
A true hero
31,423 Posts
Marcelo Mattos seems to be the hot ticket at the moment. Really good DM, but I dunno if you really need him, unless Diarra is going.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Wonderful signing and I'm surprised Liverpool are letting him go. Huge physical presence who is one of the best English players technically, works hard, creates goals and scores plenty of goals. My pick for signing of the season so far.

Only weakness Crouch has is he is slow but what do you expect from a guy who runs on stilits for legs

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Summer Signing #1: Glen Little

LITTLE JOINS BLUES

Glen Little has become Pompey’s first summer signing, joining the Blues on a one-year deal.

The 32-year-old winger arrives at Fratton Park from Reading, who were relegated at the end of the 2007/8 campaign.

Little spent four seasons at the Madejski Stadium, joining in 2004 on a free transfer from Burnley.

He had previously spent time on loan with the Berkshire side in 2003, and then had a spell on loan at Bolton.

Little played a crucial role in the Royals’ promotion push during the 2005/6 season, scoring five goals from 35 league appearances.

He continued to impress during Reading’s first year in the Premier League, winning praise for his trickery down the right flank and crossing ability.

However, an Achilles injury curtailed his campaign and surgery kept him sidelined for much of last season, resulting in just two substitute appearances, the latest against Wigan in April.

Little began his career at Crystal Palace but did not make an appearance before moving to Irish outfit Glentoran in 1995.

He spent a year in Ireland before coming back to England to link up with Burnley, where his career took off.

Little became a fans’ favourite at Turf Moor, scoring 36 goals in 285 games and helping Burnley to promotion to the Championship in 2000.

At 6ft 3in Little is not an orthodox size for a winger, but it arguably makes him an even more impressive sight as he ghosts past defenders with his clever feet.
Not the most exciting signing but I remember wanting us to sign him when he was at Burnley, would've made our promotion side even better although Steve Stone did a pretty good job :proud:.

Not a bad addition to a squad which needs fleshing out with 7 subs and a European campaign on their way

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Summer Signing #2: Ben Sahar

SAHAR JOINS POMPEY

Chelsea starlet Ben Sahar has agreed a six-month loan deal with Portsmouth.

The striker, who joined the London side two years ago from Hapoel Tel Aviv, is regarded as one of Israel’s hottest prospects.

Since moving to the UK, he has had two loan spells with Championship sides, first with Queens Park Rangers and then Sheffield Wednesday.

It was during his time at Hillsborough where - along with Pompey's Franck Songo’o - Sahar helped the Owls to narrowly avoid relegation, scoring a crucial goal in the last match of the 2007/8 campaign against Norwich.

And now the 18-year-old has his sights on the Premier League.

He said: “I’ve always wanted to be part of a Premier League team and I’m happy to be at Portsmouth.

“I’ve heard a lot of good things about Harry Redknapp, the club and the staff and they obviously had a very good season, so I’m happy to be here.

“I know that I’m young and I still need to develop, to get experience and to learn from big players, like there are here.

“I’m ready for the challenge of being part of such a big club like Portsmouth.

"I want to be part of it and to show that I deserve to be here.”

Portsmouth fought off competition from other teams to land Sahar, and the opportunity to join the FA Cup winners for their first foray into European football was among the reasons for his decision to come to Fratton Park.

“It was a factor. We have seen Portsmouth are a great team who can win trophies,” he said.

“They are now in Europe and that will be a big challenge as well.

“But I came here to be part of a team and to play, so hopefully I can do well. I’m just waiting for the new season to start."

Naturally, he is also looking forward to the opportunity to impress the legendary Fratton faithful.

“I’ve heard a lot of good things about the fans,” said Ben.

“I’ve been here twice with Chelsea and the fans were incredible. It’s difficult to play against Portsmouth because they are singing all the time.

“My goal is to play and I’m striker, so of course I want to score a few goals for Portsmouth - that’s why I’m here.

“It’s a new beginning and I’m ready for it.”
........or in other words "Goodbye Nugent"

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oops, another long spell of no posting from me, just felt I couldnt commit to XT whilst my old faithful laptop was in its final throes (eg making all manner of noises, giving me constant headaches from the smell of its melting innards and running at the speed of Lee Mills in his prime).

After putting out of its misery, very much like Dot did to dear old Ethel I now sit here with a lovely new model.

Anyways back to matters PFC, we've made two OK additions to the squad in the past month with Crouch's return almost done as well. £8m plus £3m in add ons does seem a bit steep for someone with a year left on their contract, although he could strike up a mouthwatering partnership with Defoe. 500k of the fee will also go to the registered charity down to road to help them stave off administration for a couple more days at least :D

From the names mooted above we can rule out Kewell, Gera and Zarate who have signed for Galatasaray, Fulham and Lazio respectively. Jonas Guiterrez also seems set to join Newcastle after buying out the last two years of his contract (Mallorca must be sick after rejecting our £8m offer in Jan)

In our attempt to become England B, we're also still very interested in signing SWP especially after his dad advised him to quit Chelsea and join a middling club like us in his crappy Sun (?) column a few days ago.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Little is a good player. The old style get to the byline and wip it in defender. Nice attacking player although very lazy.

Sahar may be an interesting signing. Would only be backup as from what i've seen he at the moment is very raw but provides a lot of pure pace and workrate.

Phillips would be a good signing. Lightning fast and a player who can beat players all day. A bit overrated a player as he is very lightweight and doesn't score or create an awful lot but still causes problems and drags players.

·
Registered
9,105 Posts
is the crouch deal official? it would be an excellent addition if its true..

·
Premium Member
40,302 Posts
SWP was one of the best EPL players when he was at Man city, but his level dropped gradually since his arrive to chelsea. he hasn`t played so many games or regularly. these factors should affect any player badly. but despite of that he would be very good sign for PFC if the team want to invest him very well.

Crouch is able to creat an awesome partnership with Defoe. also, he`s hungry to play every single game.

good luck.

·
A true hero
31,423 Posts
Crouch and Defoe playing together on a weekly basis can only be good for England, too.

Very good signing, is Crouch.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You've given Babayaro a trial :googly:
yep, for crimes against defending. We really need a decent left back, although HH shocked everyone last season its still a position where we have a dearth of incredibly average players, Babayaro would just add to that.

Crouch agreed terms yesterday and should be unveiled as a super blue once again at a press conference at 1pm tomorrow. :thumbsup:

In less interesting news, our only two 'homegrown' players with a chance of making the first-team squad, Asmir Begovic and Marc Wilson have both signed new 3-year deals. We've also established a link with 2006 Belgian Cup winners, SV Zulte Waregem to send them a couple of our kids.

·
Premium Member
40,302 Posts
Crouch and Defoe playing together on a weekly basis can only be good for England, too.

Very good signing, is Crouch.
exactly,
there is no doubt they`ll be the main strikers for portsmouth in coming season and why not for the english national team if they prove their deserving for that for this duty.

·
Registered
9,105 Posts
exactly,
there is no doubt they`ll be the main strikers for portsmouth in coming season and why not for the english national team if they prove their deserving for that for this duty.
no because no matter if they are both in great form wayne rooney is a much better player then both..

·
A true hero
31,423 Posts
Well yeah, but if there's injuries or suspensions it's good to have players who know each other to call on. Similar reason I'm happy Woodgate and King play together now.

·
Premium Member
40,302 Posts
spidey said:
no because no matter if they are both in great form wayne rooney is a much better player then both..
i know, i haven`t forget both owen and rooney. but, you don`t know what will happen in near future. also, i think the fans of three lions were pissed off the latest results of their team and if their stars owen and rooney or whoever in any position don`t prove himself, they will be kicked out from the main XI . the english national qualifying campaign to the WC 2010 will be so strong and which need a big squad.

Rob said:
Well yeah, but if there's injuries or suspensions it's good to have players who know each other to call on. Similar reason I'm happy Woodgate and King play together now.
:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 103 Posts