Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought the most iconic of all Anatolian clubs (and my personal favourites in Türkiye) deserve a topic of their own :proud:

Vanspor was playing in the Süperlig only a 10 seasons ago, and made their last appearance in the highest level in the early seasons of the new millennium. Since then the club slipped to the lower levels and could not avoid bankruptcy.

With a new name and a new structure, Vanspor is back on its way up :thumbsup: Last season the pride of East Turkey finally assured promotion from Lig3 to Lig2, which means the club only needs 2 more promotions to be back in the Süperlig :thumbsup: This season the club faces an interesting division with a few regional derbies against the likes of Batman, Hatay and teams from the Diyarbakir area.

Although my Turkish is limited and www.bvanspor.com is the only decent source on the team, I will try to keep all you guys updated on the team's performances and try to convert you into Vanspor fans.

Becoming a Vanspor fan is easy and takes only a few minutes:
- first you burn your fan merchandise from your previous club as a sign of leaving the cult of your old club
- next you say these words out loud: "there is no club but Vanspor and we shall obey the club in all times"
- then you buy a scarf, a jersey and all merchandise available
- a pilgrimige to the city of Van to attend at least a few games per season is obligatory

You are then officially welcomed as a Vanspor fan :thumbsup: No more gloryhunting, time to support a real people's club! :proud:

PS: this thread (apart from the last paragraph) is intended seriously and I will try to now and then post results and newbies from the club. Now that the club finally has an official site with images, it is easier for me to follow them (while during the last seasons I relied on results only on the TFF website)

En büyük Belediye Vanspor :thumbsup::heart:

·
Registered
14,061 Posts
Your a Belediye Vanspor fan then, huh? :D

They're up against Mardin in the first round of the Fortis Türkiye Kupası. Good luck.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Oh my God, I haven't heard about this team since I was little kid.

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
I prefer Batman myself :lala:

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Batman will get eaten by Van in the derby :thumbsup:

My favourite Turkish team is Belediye Vanspor yes. I have had a soft spot for them since they were still named Vanspor and playing in the Süperlig. I kept following the team even when they had to start from scratch in the lower leagues. The team promoted from 3.Lig to 2.Lig last season so this means only 2 promotions away from a return to the Süperlig (but if that is done within the 4 seasons it'd be great achievement, let's first see if the team adapts to the higher league this season)

Indeed, Mardin is the opponent in the Turkish Cup. I will try to keep the results posted in this topic. En büyük Vanspor! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The start of the season was definitely fulfilling: 4 out of 9 points in the league is not bad for a newly promoted team + Vanspor progressed in the cup!

Results so far in the 2.Lig (3rd division):

Elazigspor - Vanspor 2-1
Vanspor - Urfa Belediye 0-0
Diyarbakir B.Belediyespor - Vanspor 0-1 :party:

And in the Turkish Cup:

Mardinspor - Vanspor 1-2 :thumbsup:

I would say, given the fact that the team is newly promoted from 3.Lig, that these results are hopegiving. Surviving in 2.Lig should be the target, and then next season looking up to promote again. Slowly and step by step back to the Superlig :thumbsup: Meanwhile a Cup success would be nice, for example if one of the big Istanbul teams would travel to Van, this would show people all over Turkey that Vanspor is alive and kicking again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts