Xtratime Community banner

Out of mercy, should we lock this thread?

• Total voters
3041 - 3060 of 3093 Posts

·
Registered
58,504 Posts

I love Skriniar now. :heart:

·
Registered
58,504 Posts
Lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
58,504 Posts
If true (unphotoshopped), Ribery is a legend :D

Attachments

·
Registered
58,504 Posts

·
Registered
58,504 Posts
Brandts' accusation: "Bettega tried to bribe me on the pitch"

Goal Italia editorial staff
Last update a day ago
21:07 9/5/2020

The former Dutch international, now NAC technician, in his autobiography: "He asked me to score the 2-2 at the World Cup '78, shooting dizzying figures".

1978 World Cup, second group stage. On June 21 the decisive challenge between Italy and the Netherlands takes place in Buenos Aires , the last for both. Final result 2-1 for the Tulips. A race in which, according to Ernie Brandts , Roberto Bettega attempted to bribe him during the second part of the race.

The Dutch newspaper Algemeen Dagblad, in fact, reports an extract of the biography of Brandts just released, which describes the last quarter of an hour of competition, at the end of which the Netherlands passed in the final thanks to the 5 points scored, while the Italy finished second with three points and went on to play third place against Brazil .

Holland also needed a draw to go to the final, and according to Brandts, Bettega himself reminded him during that challenge:
" Bettega came up to me and said: Brandts! Brandts! Let me mark. He shot numbers in lire, in dollars. It was an attempt at corruption. Next to me was Ruud Krol, who heard everything and told me to say nothing, not to answer. So I did. But Bettega, an internationally renowned striker, did not give up: Brandts, he said, let me do the 2-2. With the 2-2 you go to the final anyway. He announced dizzying figures, but I kept pretending nothing. "
Brandts, a former defender who tied his career above all to PSV, coming second in that World Cup (defeated by Argentina as the hostess) was the absolute protagonist of that challenge against Italy, which three days later was beaten in the final .

It was Brandts who gave Italy the lead after twenty minutes, before equalizing the game in the 49th minute: the match for Holland was then decided by Arie Haan, as the companion who scored two goals in that 1978 World Cup. scored by Bettega, the great accused of the autobiography of the current NAC coach Breda.

Not a shocker, part of the triad..

·
Registered
44,712 Posts

·
Registered
58,504 Posts
Heh yeah that could be placed here, I posted it in the ex Inter players thread instead though as Balo is also involved.

·
Registered
58,504 Posts
Materazzi celebrating Calori day

:D

Attachments

·
Registered
58,504 Posts
25 May 1983

Grazie Magath.

·
Registered
58,504 Posts
I've been watching a lot of highlights from the 2001-2002 season in this past period and I have some things to post that might be of interest...

I will start from the end of that season. Obviously Inter lost the title after losing to Lazio but what about the team that won the title? juve still had to beat Udinese to snatch the Scudetto.

juve went to Udine to play against an Udinese team that survived relegation in the week prior after an away win at Lecce. How did Udinese win at Lecce is the intriguing part: The penalty which kept Udinese up was nothing short of scandalous. It's in the below video at 2:06 and the Lecce defender won the ball clearly.

So juve ended up facing a relaxed Udinese with no relegation fear in the last match of the season.

The result: 2 easy, unopposed goals scored in the opening 11 minutes, with next to no marking on Trezeguet and Del Piero.

Ridiculous amount of space given by Udinese.

Mind you in that season Udinese held both Inter and Roma at Friuli..

Taking into consideration what happened afterwards in calciopoli and Moggi dangling into the affairs of other clubs, it wouldn't be a surprise that he arranged for Udinese to stay up, and in return gift juve a comfortable win at Friuli.

...that wasn't the only fishy moment of that season, though.

A Zalayeta dive in Milan-juve gifted juve a point from a losing position (Milan were leading 1-0 with Sheva's famous goal from a crazy angle shot)

In Verona v juve, a legitimate Adrian Mutu goal was disallowed for a nonexistent offside AND Mutu was denied a penalty (on Tudor) as well! 2 huge refereeing mistakes that would have allowed Verona to score 3-4 goals, instead the game ended in a draw

Not only that. Everyone knows about the Ronaldo-Iuliano episode of 97-98, but a less famous challenge also involved Iuliano: against the Uruguayan Magallanes in Venezia v juve. A game juve won 1-2 away, and the unawarded penalty would probably have meant dropping 2 points.

Penalty incident at 3:11.

when juve played Chievo away they were gifted a penalty... by Di Santis of all referees!

Check 2:57, Lupatelli clearly wins the ball but a shameful penalty is awarded to juve.

Chievo 1-3 Juventus - Campionato 2001/02

Laughable double standards by the same referee in 2 different matches at the same ground considering the same referee managed to ignore this in Chievo 2-2 Inter :

In that season Inter lost 2-1 at Bologna. But we were denied a penalty for Conceicao when the score was still 0-0

@ 1:18

In juve 0-0 Inter, Tacchinardi should have been sent off in the second minute of the second half for hitting Cristiano Zanetti

Who knows, perhaps with 11 players against 10 for a whole half we could have won in Turin. Those 2 points could have been huge.

Moving on to Piacenza 0-1 juve

Clear pen not awarded to Piacenza after foul of Ferrara on Hubner

Check 1:29

Vieri was denied a penalty after a clear shirt tug in a game we lost to Atalanta

Now, in that season we did have calls go our way to be fair, mainly in the 2 Brescia games

and the Perugia game when Kallon used his hand initially before heading the ball (we did win 4-1 though..)

Overall we had calls both for and against us which is normal. They went both ways, for Inter and against Inter. What is odd is the number of calls in 1 way, juve's, and the possibility of match fixing concerning Lecce-Udinese and the effect it had on Udinese-juve, which was pretty suspect..

·
Registered
58,504 Posts

·
Registered
44,712 Posts
I think these are fair comments overall. Ultimately, I think we should have done a bit more to win the title. I'm not simply saying it was in our hands on the last day but that we ended up disappointing with too many draws in some of the bigger games: Parma, Udinese, Juventus (2 draws), Roma, Lazio (draw + loss), Torino, Chievo (draw + loss). While it was close here, we still did better than this in our Scudetto-winning seasons.

·
Registered
58,504 Posts
I think these are fair comments overall. Ultimately, I think we should have done a bit more to win the title. I'm not simply saying it was in our hands on the last day but that we ended up disappointing with too many draws in some of the bigger games: Parma, Udinese, Juventus (2 draws), Roma, Lazio (draw + loss), Torino, Chievo (draw + loss). While it was close here, we still did better than this in our Scudetto-winning seasons.
I think a draw with Roma away, and 2 draws with juve are all acceptable results if you ask me.

Lazio were our bogey team anyhow, aside from the UEFA cup final we failed to beat them in Serie A for a whole decade home and away! 96-2006.

The home losses to Chievo and Atalanta killed us in 01-02. juve got 12/12 from those games with Atalanta and Chievo that season.

Watching highlights of pretty much all our games that season I was disappointed a bit with Cordoba, a defender I love.

Go and watch the goal Corradi scored against us in Milano for Chievo, or the goal of Trezeguet, or the goal of Sala (Atalanta), Cordoba was well beaten in the air. Also in the Udinese draw he gave away a penalty on Sosa.

A disappointing result was obviously the 4-2 derby especially as we led 1-0 at ht... and I believe Cordoba was beaten in the air by Pippo.

A lot of the goals we conceded were in the air which is strange as Materazzi and Cordoba are normally good there. Even on 5th of May we conceded 2 headers (Simeone and Simone Inzaghi)

Couldn't help but notice that Sorondo was a disaster, particularly in games at Piacenza and Brescia.

·
Registered
44,712 Posts
I'm talking about the totality, m8. Our Scudetto-winning seasons have us doing better overall against the top clubs. 2001/02 wasn't bad, and tbh, it was incredible at the time because of our previous season. But I think we ought to have got more points from those fixtures...and it turns out that another win would have been enough to make the final day irrelevant.

The loss to Atalanta and draw against Chievo in the last stretch annoyed me but I remember the successive draws against Venezia and Torino really pissing me off, lol.

·
Registered
58,504 Posts
Maniero admitted to diving in that Venezia-Inter match btw. There was a slight touch from Gresko..

·
Registered
58,504 Posts
lol, do I really need to comment Moggi's Juventus once more?
Post Moggi..

I don't fully agree that everything in that video was a robbery, but the robberies at the expenses of Bologna, Atalanta, Genoa, Samp and Sassuolo were clear.

3041 - 3060 of 3093 Posts