Xtratime Community banner

Out of mercy, should we lock this thread?

• Total voters
3041 - 3052 of 3052 Posts

·
Registered
58,019 Posts

I love Skriniar now. :heart:

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
If true (unphotoshopped), Ribery is a legend :D

Attachments

·
Registered
58,019 Posts

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Brandts' accusation: "Bettega tried to bribe me on the pitch"

Goal Italia editorial staff
Last update a day ago
21:07 9/5/2020

The former Dutch international, now NAC technician, in his autobiography: "He asked me to score the 2-2 at the World Cup '78, shooting dizzying figures".

1978 World Cup, second group stage. On June 21 the decisive challenge between Italy and the Netherlands takes place in Buenos Aires , the last for both. Final result 2-1 for the Tulips. A race in which, according to Ernie Brandts , Roberto Bettega attempted to bribe him during the second part of the race.

The Dutch newspaper Algemeen Dagblad, in fact, reports an extract of the biography of Brandts just released, which describes the last quarter of an hour of competition, at the end of which the Netherlands passed in the final thanks to the 5 points scored, while the Italy finished second with three points and went on to play third place against Brazil .

Holland also needed a draw to go to the final, and according to Brandts, Bettega himself reminded him during that challenge:
" Bettega came up to me and said: Brandts! Brandts! Let me mark. He shot numbers in lire, in dollars. It was an attempt at corruption. Next to me was Ruud Krol, who heard everything and told me to say nothing, not to answer. So I did. But Bettega, an internationally renowned striker, did not give up: Brandts, he said, let me do the 2-2. With the 2-2 you go to the final anyway. He announced dizzying figures, but I kept pretending nothing. "
Brandts, a former defender who tied his career above all to PSV, coming second in that World Cup (defeated by Argentina as the hostess) was the absolute protagonist of that challenge against Italy, which three days later was beaten in the final .

It was Brandts who gave Italy the lead after twenty minutes, before equalizing the game in the 49th minute: the match for Holland was then decided by Arie Haan, as the companion who scored two goals in that 1978 World Cup. scored by Bettega, the great accused of the autobiography of the current NAC coach Breda.

Not a shocker, part of the triad..

·
Registered
44,294 Posts

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Heh yeah that could be placed here, I posted it in the ex Inter players thread instead though as Balo is also involved.

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Materazzi celebrating Calori day

:D

Attachments

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
25 May 1983

Grazie Magath.

3041 - 3052 of 3052 Posts