Xtratime Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ladies and Gentleman,
The greatest celebration on Earth this year is just a few weeks away. This year's Carnaval will start on Febrary 21 go til Feb. 24th, 2004. So people, what are your plans for Carnaval this year? Where are you going? What's the best place to go from a local/Brasilian point of view for the best party/fun (and not from a gringo point of view)? I have read/heard that the real Cariocas go to Salvador for the Carnaval while only the gringos remain in Rio. Is that true? Is it also true that the Carnaval in Rio is only hype and mainly overrated while the real fun is in Salvador? Even Ze claimed that before!:eek::stress: :tongue: So what do the other Brasileiros in here think in that regard? And last but not least, how is your typical Carnaval day in your respective cities in Brasil?

Cheers.:) :jester::cool:

P.S. Maybe the mods can make this thread a sticky for the next 2 months or so...;)

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
I agree, Salvador is nice but Fortaleza is better for sure, mostly women there and very cute also. You´ll probably get laid a lot up there. Plus there are some awesome deserted beaches there.

Anyway I thought the local girls would be fugly there but it was actually a nice surprise, been years since I went there so I´not how things are. I think the quality in women were better at Fortaleza.

Also for vacations I would recommend the south part of our country (not sure about Carnival, people probably go there to get away from it) Florianopolis in the Santa Catarina estate. The women there are simply beautiful. In the season it gets crowded with man from SP though :( I would recomend going there in the end of the summer, the good point there is that they have some nice beaches and is very cheap you can eat down there very well and stay in some nice places for a bargain.

Also nice spots besides Florianopolis are Praia do Rosa and Guarda do Embaú (Santa Catarina)

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input Liternit. I have already heard about Fortalezza being simply brillant and I have seen before some pics of that city and I was simply wowed! If I can find, I'll post a link to some amazing pics of Fortalezza.

Tell me, Liternit, what's the Sampa scene during Carnaval? Is it good or not? What do Paulistas do during Carnaval that other Brasileiros dont? I mean, is there a speciality for Carnaval for each state? Like the Cariocas, the Gauchos, the Mineiros, the Bahanios, the Panarenses, Goianios, Nordestinos and so forth? Or is it all the same all over Brasil?

Cheers.:)

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
San Siro said:
Thanks for the input Liternit. I have already heard about Fortalezza being simply brillant and I have seen before some pics of that city and I was simply wowed! If I can find, I'll post a link to some amazing pics of Fortalezza.

Tell me, Liternit, what's the Sampa scene during Carnaval? Is it good or not? What do Paulistas do during Carnaval that other Brasileiros dont? I mean, is there a speciality for Carnaval for each state? Like the Cariocas, the Gauchos, the Mineiros, the Bahanios, the Panarenses, Goianios, Nordestinos and so forth? Or is it all the same all over Brasil?

Cheers.:)
Yes there is a specialty for each state, but I don´t enjoy the Carnaval of São Paulo there is only something similar of what goes in RIO but not as glamour. If I stay in the state I would probably spend in the beach or at home doing nothing.

You have street carnival in other states such as Minas and in certain small cities of RJ. Which are also nice if you are up to go to WAR!

But I think if you are willing to spend a bit more I would stick to Salvador or Fortaleza. Salvador you have the TRIO ELETRICOS which are sound trucks with bands ontop of it playing (I hate the music) that go around the streets. The good thing is that you have to buy an abada (which is a shirt sort of invitation to get inside the trio, there a bunch of them but the best are probably Chiclete and Asa de Aguia) that kind makes a selection of the people so you´ll probably have more nice looking chicks around you. So basicly the people follow these trucks for hours and everyone is making out with everyone.

I think in Fortaleza you have also the option of Trios but also stree carnival.

So wrap up, if you want to party the Carnival there are probably only 4 states to do it Rio, Bahia(Salvador), Pernambuco (Fortaleza) and Minas. Minas being the most simple street type cheap carnival. So I would stick to Salvador or Bahia, but you have to research a lot and see the best place to stay and not fall for the tourist route.

Besides those states people just travel to enjoy the holiday, in Santa Catarina for example or other places even at another spot in Bahia such as Trancoso which is beautiful and there is not that crazed carnival thing going but I´m sure it will be packed with beautiful Paulistas and Cariocas :)

Anyway aside from Carnival last year I went here http://www.praiadorosa.com.br/ the hotest women were there from all over Brasil, mainly because there are a lot of surfers there and the woman go there because of that.

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow!!!Where is that Praia do Rosa? In which state is that? It looks simply breathe-taking!!!!:eek:

I have seen those trucks with bands on top of them playing and going through crowds. I have downloaded a video of Ase (brillant group by the way!!!:thumbsup::star: same for Chiclete!) and it is really cool to be among that crowd!!:lick::tongue:

Have you attended one of those types of "concerts/street carnaval" before?

Where are you planning to spend Carnaval this year Lit?

Cheers.;)

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
San Siro said:
Wow!!!Where is that Praia do Rosa? In which state is that? It looks simply breathe-taking!!!!:eek:

I have seen those trucks with bands on top of them playing and going through crowds. I have downloaded a video of Ase (brillant group by the way!!!:thumbsup::star: same for Chiclete!) and it is really cool to be among that crowd!!:lick::tongue:

Have you attended one of those types of "concerts/street carnaval" before?

Where are you planning to spend Carnaval this year Lit?

Cheers.;)
Thats Santa Catarina, south of Brasil. Very cheap place to go to and there are a bunch of small "hotels" (Pousadas) to stay, the most expensive being 100U$ a day for a couple. I stayed here http://www.praiadorosa.com.br/Fazenda.htm very simple but nice place near the beach.

I have never been to a trio, but I´m looking foward to go maybe next year. I´m kinda short on cash for this Carnival, If I went to Bahia or Fortaleza it would probably go around U$1000 with air tickets, hotel and food staying at the best places. You would probably spend around U$166 for each ABADA (R$500) there are some packs so that you can go to most of them and pay a bit less, those you have to buy before you get there.

I will probably be spending at some beach, which will probably be packed but will have nothing related to Carnival. Such as Florianopolis (Santa Catarina, but its too damn packed) or I would like to meet some street Carnival either Ouro Preto (Minas) or Parati (RJ)

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The pousada you stayed in, looks quite nice!How much did it cost you? Did you reserve it in advance or can you just show up and get it there? I understand if you just showed up, it would probably cost you more right?

And the other pousadas/suites look very nice as well!!:thumbsup:
Are they all in the same area or far away from each other?

How's the weather in Santa Catarina in May/June?

Cheers.;)

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
San Siro said:
The pousada you stayed in, looks quite nice!How much did it cost you? Did you reserve it in advance or can you just show up and get it there? I understand if you just showed up, it would probably cost you more right?

And the other pousadas/suites look very nice as well!!:thumbsup:
Are they all in the same area or far away from each other?

How's the weather in Santa Catarina in May/June?

Cheers.;)
Yes it was nice, it was around U$50 a day for each, I went with 4 friends so we got 2 rooms. And we did make reservations, simple because that place does not have a lot of places to stay near the beach and that place would be booked without reservations. After january the price keeps dropping and goes up again on Carnival, but its all very cheap specially if you are from Europe, you are 1x3 ratio.

Near, near some steps away :D , the beach there are only 2 pousadas/"hotel" which is the one I showed and another that I don´t remember the name, there are a bunch of places like 500M-1K from the beach that are a bit more calm and could even be nice to go with a girl friend since there is this awesome view at night. Some are up high in small mountains and you can view the beach and the small bay (there is a nice bay like lagoon) also you can go sandboarding and wakeboarding.

A car is a must, there are a lot of beaches near by worth checking out specially if you like to surf.

And couple of hours away is the Capital, Florianopolis which is an island and has loads of beaches and some very nice looking women as well. So you can stay some time at Rosa than go to Floripa for more days, there you can go without reservations and hunt for a place to stay (but its nice to check out a few options before going anywhere)

About May and June, well may would be already a bit risky we are in the autumn close to winter. So you are looking for temos around 10-25 C°, but I´m not really sure some o the locals might know better, our south is the coldest place in Brasil, unlike the north part (ex:Bahia) its actually cold in the winter.

Ps1. Just so you know the people that go there, mostly surfers and people from Curitiba/Rio Grande do Sul and Paulistas/Cariocas. Most of the women are beach girls, those types that have awesome bodies and live for the beach. Sort like the Rio girls. And of course probably 99.9% of the beach enjoys the reef.

Ps2. in Rosa in the end of winter you can spot wales

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Wow made a stupid mistake, Fortaleza is in Ceara. Was too sleepy and said Pernanbuco several times :stress:

Anyway I went there on new years eve and I stayed at Beachpark (its a resort witha waterpark. Like 3 years ago and they had a show with Chiclete and Asa.)

My sister went to Salvador and says she enjoyed more Fortaleza and though the people were nice there.

So If I was to travel so distant such as yourself I would only consider the north, either Salvador (Bahia) or Fortaleza (Ceara) for Carnival

http://www.beachpark.com.br

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
San Siro,

My Carnival will be in Sao SALVADOR going after the new band sensation of the northeast this year... BABADO NOVO;) :star: It's gonna be brill. And I will see if 1 day I wil get master Bell with Chiclete com Banana!!:)

Don't listen to what Liternit is saying.... their is NO CARNIVAL in Fortaleza. You have to go to a city about 100Km away which is called Aracati. That's were the best carnival of Ceara state is.

However, Fortaleza is got one of the best nightlifes of Brazil and has the "best out of season carnival" = "micaretas" which is Fortal (the one i told you about that i went to last year).

In Brazil their are 3 big carnivals, which are: RIO, SALVADOR, OLINDA.

Rio: Go to clubs with a bunch of tranvestis, bitches and high class people in costumes (never been in it, but expect to be utterly boring) And you have the carnival parade, in which you will pay to see people dance in the street. You will only listen to Samba.

Salvador: Mixtures of sounds from Bahia. You have loads of afro blocks and you have the Trio Eletrico with the band on the top of the truck. For you to have fun, you need to pay to go inside a top block and be with beautiful people and not get mugged in the street. With Olinda going down the last couple of years, it is the best carnival of Brazil.

Olinda: When it is good, no one comes close to it. Carnival in the hills of the colonial baroque city. You listen to all kinds of sounds, loads of costumes, sensations etc.... It has been going down because the mayor of the city only wants the carnival to play acustic instruments. No music from Bahia allowed because of the competition. However, this is were Olinda is losing it, cause the scene in Olinda is much better, it is safer, the people are cooler and you got all the magic from Olinda! In 97 I went to Olinda and had the best party of my life (and that is a major statement cause i have been partying heavily in my life for 14 years non stop!!!!). HOwever, last year i went back their and it was not all that. Gonna go to Salvador this year with some friends tohave a blast.... the same that i went to Fortal and Carnatal!!!

;) :cool:

and what people do in Carnival in Sao Paulo is the same as what people do in the weekends in the city= they TRAVEL!

the rest is just the rest.....

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oi galera,

The :star:Carnaval :star: is right here, right now!!:happy::jester:

So which Samba school do you people think will win the Samba context this year? I've taken a look at some of the great pics that OGlobo's site is displaying and all I can say is "DAMN!!!!they look awesome!!!":thumbsup::lick:

:tongue:

Cheers.;)

P.S. Ze, you better not forget to write a full report with pics and all that man when you come back from Salvador!!!:) Lucky bastard!!!!:thumbsup:

:tongue:

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Well... I'm currently trying to control a massive hangover, after having danced all night yesterday. Fun fact: When you go to the carnaval with your girlfriend you dance 30% more, since you don't need to waste energy flirting. :party: So my carnaval is all samba, booze and girlfriend kisses – and I couldn't be happier. :smileani:

Let's open with what I KNOW is on the minds of all you pervs out there...

:D
Then there's the Parade of Samba Schools in Rio, a HUGE show.

The lady below is Fabia Borges, the "Madrinha da Bateria" (a prestigious position that we can translate loosely to "Godmother of Drums") for Unidos da Tijuca, one of Rio's major samba schools.

Below: The blonde lady on the left is Ronaldo's ex-girlfriend Susana Werner, currently married to Flamengo's goalkeeper Julio Cesar.

:dazed:

Below: This is one of Brasil's hottest babes, Juliana Paes, 'Madrinha da Bateria' for Viradouro.

:cool:

Below, the awesome Rachel Blanc, 'Madrinha da Bateria' for Imperio Serrano (one of the most beautiful parades this year, by the way)...

:horny:

Below... to show that it's not just semi-naked babes all around, here's one of the cars from Mocidade, a traditional samba school whose theme was "Traffic Safety":

Below: In this part of Viradouro's parade, a car about Indian culture.

Below: the rain was not enough to stop the party.

Below, a little glimpse at Mocidade's parade.

Below, a stylized ship in Beija-Flor's parade.

And below, the 'Madrinha da Bateria' from Porto da Pedra, playmate Solange Gomes.

·
Registered
19,633 Posts
Absolutely magnificient stuff, Garrincha. :thumbsup: :happy: :jester: :party:

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Amazing stuff G-Man!!!:thumbsup::star:

Here are some more great links for those of us unlucky not to be there and experience first hand the greatest show on earth.

http://carnaval2004.terra.com.br/

Then click on the drop down lists to see pics and or videos some parades and other great stuff!!!!Simply breathe-taking!!!!:star::star:

Cheers.;)

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also G-Man, which Samba school you think would win the Rio parade context? I"ve seen videos of a few of them and so far, all look good. I liked specially the one of Beija-Flor and I also found the idea of having everyone in blue truly original for DNA Azul. :thumbsup:

So which school you people think would/should win the ultimate prize in the Samba contexts?

Cheers.;)

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
...since a couple of years every bigger carnival event over here presents these bombshell ladies in just the tiny costumes doing a little samba show as well. A TV comedy booked them for yesterday's show......but th deal was to not dance Samba, but Waltz and Pogo..... Good fun!

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
San Siro said:
So which school you people think would/should win the ultimate prize in the Samba contexts?
The ones I liked the most were Imperio Serrano and Portela. But the carnaval champion is chosen through some very technical criteria: they're evaluated based on harmony, theme, musicality, costumes... all rated by a jury of professionals from theather, music and samba in general. So my own amateur opinion may be waay off. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts