Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
MoMo
Joined
·
6,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's about time we have one here! ;) This topic is for us to talk about stuff other than Valencia, talk about ourselves, our studies/jobs etc.

As a start, I'd like everyone to make a short introduction about himself! I'll get things rolling..

Well, I'm 19 years old, live in Bahrain and I'm doing my bachelors degree in Marketing at the University of Bahrain, still a long way to go though, as I'm in my second year! :stress:

Uhmm what else, oh yeah, I drive a 1999 V6 VW Passat :D... Any questions? :tongue:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,783 Posts
would you welcome me? :)
i'm 18, chinese, to be exactly hongkonger :D in hong kong. this year i will take the public exam deciding if i can study at university. now i'm doing revision on the net. :tongue: :stress: i major in economics and geography. of course i have to study chinese and english. it is totally four subjects. :cool:
i'm one year younger than you. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
326 Posts
Chinese..., 23 male....living in Singapore.

Studying in a local Uni, specialising in biz IT.

Currently broke, single, and rather screwed up at school work.

Is a big fan of Hongkong actors/singers. With Sam Hui n leslie cheung being my favourites.(MP4 rocks too!!)

My dream: to get rich without putting in effort:D

Maybe could share some of our dif cultures among our different countries....I start first....

In singapore, taxes are high, cigarettes, beer , cars n houses are expensive. Most locals live their lives trying to pay off installments. The laws here are strict. Quite a safe country but plenty of restrictions. its a multi racial state , concisting of malays, indians n wif the majority chinese.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
561 Posts
What? No Spaniards? :eek:

I'm living/working in Japan, teaching English. 25 years old, married, from England although with South African blood and upbringing.

I'm not really a Valencia fan, just a follower. Sorry...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,247 Posts
im 24, i live in Buenos Aires, Argentina, and im a lawyer.

i like valencia, even thou its not my favourite team in spain.
Since kempes days, argie players have done a good job in Valencia, thats why i like it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,783 Posts
Vicente said:
Is a big fan of Hongkong actors/singers. With Sam Hui n leslie cheung being my favourites.(MP4 rocks too!!)

My dream: to get rich without putting in effort:D

In singapore, taxes are high, cigarettes, beer , cars n houses are expensive. Most locals live their lives trying to pay off installments. The laws here are strict. Quite a safe country but plenty of restrictions. its a multi racial state , concisting of malays, indians n wif the majority chinese.
i love leslie too. i miss him. :frownani: he left us alone.

my dream too. :D but indeed my dream is just to master english language well. :)

i really can't understand how is singapore. why chinese speak english? :confused: but i would tell you singapore is one of my love countries in asia i would love to live in for their restriction. :D :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
561 Posts
How's the Hong Kong football scene? When I was there I saw loads of replica shirts (real ones and fakes), but I couldn't get to see any games. Who are the best players/teams/coaches?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,783 Posts
Rino said:
How's the Hong Kong football scene? When I was there I saw loads of replica shirts (real ones and fakes), but I couldn't get to see any games. Who are the best players/teams/coaches?
http://www.hkfa.com/article/mainmenu_eng
before your question, i never knew the hk football association have an english web!!! :eek: :dazed: :cool: frankly, i don't know much about our own league. :pp i don't like even hate the atmosphere of it. we could often see young players in it liked to fight each other even because of small tackles. :rolleyes: i'm totally booed by those guys. however, happy valley and south china are two tradionally big teams in hk. hk football is actually going to the end. no future for youngsters, no sponsor and funds for the clubs, no atmosphere among spectatpors. moreover, spectators can't full half of the stadium even in the biggest fight between happy valley and south china. however, you can have a look with little expectation though it would still disappoint you.

no youngsters here even consider those fakes though it is stalls for it. so just forget it. :pp but the shirts' market here is mature enough that many youngsters would like to collect kits. if interested, several shops with credit like 352, sfalo etc. are recommended. by the way, be careful and ask for details before trading!

what about that in japan? i quite admire it. the fans there know how to enjoy and appreciate football!

up to now, i'm still not sure you are englishman or japanese. :D :sleepy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
326 Posts
Ivan Helguera said:
i really can't understand how is singapore. why chinese speak english? :confused: but i would tell you singapore is one of my love countries in asia i would love to live in for their restriction. :D :cool:
Chinese speak English?
You mean Chinese prefering to speak English than Chinese?
Are you refering to teenagers or Adults?

Anyway, I had always admired the unity hongkong citizens had.....its something which we locals here lack....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,783 Posts
Vicente said:
Chinese speak English?
You mean Chinese prefering to speak English than Chinese?
Are you refering to teenagers or Adults?

Anyway, I had always admired the unity hongkong citizens had.....its something which we locals here lack....
yes, prefer english to chinese! is it difference between teenagers and adults?

unity? yes, sometimes when we make strikes against the government. :D one thing we are proud of is the freedom to speak maybe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
326 Posts
Ivan Helguera said:
yes, prefer english to chinese! is it difference between teenagers and adults?

unity? yes, sometimes when we make strikes against the government. :D one thing we are proud of is the freedom to speak maybe.
There is a general misconception among locals that Speaking English makes them look educated n high class.

Generally, if you speak to them in chinese, they should normally reply you back in chinese.
However, there are 2 types of local chinese that strongly prefer to speak english than chinese.
1) Those who want to act high class (ppl with dog eyes)
2) Those who are brought up in a english speaking environment.(mostly youngsters)

If you happen to meet ppl from the 1st catogory, just ask them to eat banana.:D


With regards to freedom of speech,....yes, thats one thing thats SEVEARLY LACKING in here. Must watch your mouth if you really do come here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
561 Posts
Yeah, but how many people in HK can really speak English? Or in other words, something an English speaker could actually understand?

I've been there twice, but found my native English to be quite different to their "English." All part of the fun though, I love HK. :)

Japanese fans really are strange. They are starting to become more vocal, booing their teams and managers after bad performances, but at the same time they rarely (from my experience) leave before full time, they never abuse the ref in the same way as the Europeans do (although they occasionally boo him), and they even cheer for their own players after they make a mistake, in order to give them a boost. As for atmosphere, I've never seen the Reds at home, so I can't comment about that, but most teams struggle to fill the stadia, and there isn't much tension in the air. Watching the national team though, the air is thick with blue fever, it sends a shiver down your spine. I saw Japan v Argentina, and half of the fans around me were wearing Aimar and Saviola shirts under their Japan ones. I would never see that in England. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,783 Posts
Vicente said:
There is a general misconception among locals that Speaking English makes them look educated n high class.

Generally, if you speak to them in chinese, they should normally reply you back in chinese.
However, there are 2 types of local chinese that strongly prefer to speak english than chinese.
1) Those who want to act high class (ppl with dog eyes)
2) Those who are brought up in a english speaking environment.(mostly youngsters)

If you happen to meet ppl from the 1st catogory, just ask them to eat banana.:D


With regards to freedom of speech,....yes, thats one thing thats SEVEARLY LACKING in here. Must watch your mouth if you really do come here.
so what category you are from? :D but i will not waste even one cent to buy banana for them. :pp in the singaporean education system chinese and english are equally important or not? from your saying, it seems that english is becoming more and more important as most of those who master english well are youngsters, right?

frankly, lee kuan yew is the politician i respect most who has very strong charm! his speech and interview are both convincing. so don't be unhappy for the restriction. you know he and his government set up these just to raise singaporeans' competency. if i could choose, i would like him to be our executive than our mr. tung! you are so lucky indeed!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,783 Posts
Rino said:
Yeah, but how many people in HK can really speak English? Or in other words, something an English speaker could actually understand?

I've been there twice, but found my native English to be quite different to their "English." All part of the fun though, I love HK. :)

Japanese fans really are strange. They are starting to become more vocal, booing their teams and managers after bad performances, but at the same time they rarely (from my experience) leave before full time, they never abuse the ref in the same way as the Europeans do (although they occasionally boo him), and they even cheer for their own players after they make a mistake, in order to give them a boost. As for atmosphere, I've never seen the Reds at home, so I can't comment about that, but most teams struggle to fill the stadia, and there isn't much tension in the air. Watching the national team though, the air is thick with blue fever, it sends a shiver down your spine. I saw Japan v Argentina, and half of the fans around me were wearing Aimar and Saviola shirts under their Japan ones. I would never see that in England. ;)
i'm afraid not so many of us can really master well. i think only those who in the universities or above could talk with foreigners fluently. even a few of undergraduate are rather weak at speaking english. of course, written english is always more easier that probably all of undergraduate can do it well. :eek:

really, i never imagine that they sometimes wear other teams' shirts under their japan ones when against foreign national teams. :D their football atmosphere is really good and much better than that in hk. it is sad that we are not like japanese. sometimes when the players on the field make a mistake, we would boo them instead of encouraging them. i should accept that hk football is becoming less and less important.

by the way, do you know which european teams japanese like most?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
326 Posts
Ivan Helguera said:
so what category you are from? :D but i will not waste even one cent to buy banana for them. :pp in the singaporean education system chinese and english are equally important or not? from your saying, it seems that english is becoming more and more important as most of those who master english well are youngsters, right?

frankly, lee kuan yew is the politician i respect most who has very strong charm! his speech and interview are both convincing. so don't be unhappy for the restriction. you know he and his government set up these just to raise singaporeans' competency. if i could choose, i would like him to be our executive than our mr. tung! you are so lucky indeed!
The education system only started paying attention to chinese nowadays after china opens up.

No point saying which country is good or bad.
its always the same outcome, you see I good, I see you good.

What i can say is that things are not always what you see on the surface.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
561 Posts
Ivan Helguera said:
it is sad that we are not like japanese. sometimes when the players on the field make a mistake, we would boo them instead of encouraging them. i should accept that hk football is becoming less and less important.

by the way, do you know which european teams japanese like most?
Sometimes now they boo their own players, but it is still rare.

The Japanese love the same teams as most other people do... Real Madrid, Barca, Juve, Milan, Inter, Bayern, Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal etc. But in addition, I've seen many other fans - West Ham, Spurs, Paris SG, Valencia, Marseilles, Parma, Genoa, Samp, Roma, Lazio, Flamengo, Sao Paulo, Boca, River, Ajax, Feyenoord, PSV, etc etc. There is such a wide range of fans here, they each have different reasons for following different teams, it is quite interesting. One drawback is that many fans are more interested in foreign leagues than the J-League, which means low attendances, and lower revenue for the teams. Most Japanese don't realise that the J-League is actually quite fun, certainly not as bad as they think it is. I prefer it to the Premiership, although I'm in the minority when I say that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,783 Posts
yup, i heard something about the reason they begin learning chinese. you are going to invade our huge market! but all is welcome!

low attendence? :dazed: from what i see on the tv, they seem to full most matches, don't they? i quite admire and be envious of them. they have their own football culture while ours is going to disappear.

let's talk about other matters. what are you doing these days? i'm taking my mock exam and preparing the public for entering the university! very anxious! econ and geo really worry me!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
326 Posts
Ivan Helguera said:
yup, i heard something about the reason they begin learning chinese. you are going to invade our huge market! but all is welcome!
Thats something which I find shameful. Chinese Should learn Chinese for the PURE fact that they are Chinese, and not because of the growing China factor.

And now a packet of cigarettes cost $9.50 Sing dollars.:(
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top