Xtratime Community banner

2361 - 2380 of 2387 Posts

·
Registered
42,474 Posts
I agree we're not as good as we used to be. Our tennis players aren't as good as they used to be [with Philippoussis, Rafter, Cash, etc] but there's some promising guys coming through, notably Kyrgios, and Kokkinakis is promising too. The swimmers aren't as good either when Ian Thorpe was going around. Or the cricket team when we had one of the strongest teams ever with Warne, McGrath, Ponting, Hayden, Langer, etc. etc.

What about Russian sport, by the way? I read a thread on this tennis forum I go to called "the death of Russian tennis" and the thread author was obviously concerned about the future of tennis in Russia -

Looks at the rankings and players' ages
4 Maria Sharapova 27y
15 Ekaterina Makarova 26y
23 Svetlana Kuznetsova 29y
26 Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova 23y
52 Elena Vesnina 28y
103 Alla Kudryavtseva 26y
107 Alisa Kleybanova 25y
133 Alexandra Panova 25y
136 Ksenia Pervak 23y
154 Marta Sirotkina 23y
156 Maria Kirilenko 27y
162 Ekaterina Bychkova 29y
171Vitalia Diatchenko 24y

The lack of young players is apparent. Another problem is many Russians playing for another country. This trend may continue in the future unless Russian Tennis Federation does something about it. Moreover, some of the youngers prospects like Khromacheva and Kan have disappointed so far.

And on the men's side, highest ranked Youzhny is 32, Tursunov is 31, Davydenko is ranked 120...

·
Registered
42,474 Posts
Sorry to change the subject, but do you like any of the books written by the great Russian writers like Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, Bulgakov, and Solzhenitsyn?

I'm kind of interested in checking out some contemporary Russian literature as it seems whenever people bring up Russian writers, they only talk about these guys.

·
Registered
63,952 Posts
I've only read Crime and Punishment, it's considered a bit of an easier read than other classical Russian works. I think you'd like Dostoevsky's work the most out of those four since you're a bit of a lose cannon.

·
Registered
42,474 Posts
Yeah, I read his book "The Idiot" because the main character Myshkin has epilepsy like myself. And indeed the Myshkin character is based upon Dostoevsky himself. I quite liked that book.

Did you read it in Russian or translation? I know you were born in Russia but IIRC you left at quite an early age.

·
Registered
44,603 Posts
I agree we're not as good as we used to be. Our tennis players aren't as good as they used to be [with Philippoussis, Rafter, Cash, etc] but there's some promising guys coming through, notably Kyrgios, and Kokkinakis is promising too. The swimmers aren't as good either when Ian Thorpe was going around. Or the cricket team when we had one of the strongest teams ever with Warne, McGrath, Ponting, Hayden, Langer, etc. etc.

What about Russian sport, by the way? I read a thread on this tennis forum I go to called "the death of Russian tennis" and the thread author was obviously concerned about the future of tennis in Russia -

Looks at the rankings and players' ages
4 Maria Sharapova 27y
15 Ekaterina Makarova 26y
23 Svetlana Kuznetsova 29y
26 Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova 23y
52 Elena Vesnina 28y
103 Alla Kudryavtseva 26y
107 Alisa Kleybanova 25y
133 Alexandra Panova 25y
136 Ksenia Pervak 23y
154 Marta Sirotkina 23y
156 Maria Kirilenko 27y
162 Ekaterina Bychkova 29y
171Vitalia Diatchenko 24y

The lack of young players is apparent. Another problem is many Russians playing for another country. This trend may continue in the future unless Russian Tennis Federation does something about it. Moreover, some of the youngers prospects like Khromacheva and Kan have disappointed so far.

And on the men's side, highest ranked Youzhny is 32, Tursunov is 31, Davydenko is ranked 120...

?so you talk about tennis....and the rest?

russia top the medal table in sochi and was fourth in london.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Yeah, Russian sport is still doing well based on the 2012 and 2014 Olympics. Tennis has dropped off especially mens (No Safin, Kafelnikov, Davydenko). Youzhny has had a good career though.

Although at the French Open Juniors the Boys and Girls winners were both Russians. I also think Karen Khachankov who is 18 will be a superstar tennis player when he matures/ages some more. He has a lot of hype amongst tennis fans. I saw him beat Tipsarevic in straight sets in Moscow last year when he was 17. Andrey Kuznetsov (former Junior Wimbledon champion, beat Tomic in the SF actually) is a massive disappointment with his injuries. Although this year he seems to be finally climbing the rankings and beat Ferrer at Wimbledon.

2361 - 2380 of 2387 Posts