Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first phase will begin at the 2007 Pacific Games in Samoa with the football tournament doubling as an OFC preliminary World Cup qualifying competition. The gold, silver and bronze medallists will advance to the second phase.

The three medallists will join New Zealand in a home and away round-robin tournament on FIFA match dates in 2007 and 2008.

The winner of this final group will be crowned OFC Nations Cup champions, and will also be included in the final round of Asian World Cup qualification.

The 2007 Pacific Games are to be hosted in Apia, Samoa. They will be the 13th to have been held since 1963 and will be held 25 August - 8 September, 2007.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
It is hard to tell how far Oceanian football has progressed in recent times but a couple of years ago the likes of Solomon Islands were beating New Zealand. It is a realistic possibility we could see one of the minnow island nations jumping into the Asian qualification but time will tell.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Adriano said:
a couple of years ago the likes of Solomon Islands were beating New Zealand
What? I don't know that the Solomons have ever beaten New Zealand.
I remember them losing 3 - 0 against NZ not so long ago and before that a couple of games where NZ shot 5 or 6 past them.
They only finished second in the '06 WC qualifier group thanks to that fluke NZ 2-4 loss to Vanuatu

·
Registered
59,048 Posts
how do you guys rate Steven Old? :D

I actually played with him here in Holland (were in the same cricket XI - nice guy ) when he was in his early teens when his dad was overhere coaching the Dutch rugby side.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I think he could become an important player for the All Whites. I remember seeing him play for the first time in the Under-17's or the Under-20's a couple years back and being impressed. It'll be interesting to see how he does for Wellington in the A-league.

They play Rugby in Holland? :googly:

·
Registered
59,048 Posts
hey it's a world game :pp

they played against England once in a world cup qualifier a few years back and lost by 100 points up in Huddersfield :D

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Wally said:
hey it's a world game :pp
:D Many people in New Zealand actually believe that. The fact that South Africa and Argentina play the game adds credibility to the idea untill you notice no one else in Africa or South America gives a **** about the game

Wally said:
they played against England once in a world cup qualifier a few years back and lost by 100 points up in Huddersfield :D
Ouch. I start to feel sorry for any team when things get up around the 80-90 points mark

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Current standings:

Code:
Team           P  W  D  L  GF  GA  GD  Pts

New Zealand    3  3  0  0  8   2   +6  9
New Caledonia  2  1  1  0  7   3   +4  4
Fiji           3  0  1  2  3   9   -6  1
Vanuatu        2  0  0  2  2   6   -4  0

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Adriano said:
New Zealand scraped through a couple of their games didn't they?
No, I wouldn't really say that - certainly not for the 4-1 win over Vanuatu, in which Vanuatu only scored because NZ switched off after finishing the first half 3-0 up. The 0-2 away win over Fiji was a bit deceptive as the standard of refereeing was very low and NZ could have easily won by a higher score if some of the calls had gone in the team's favour. There were some clear goal scoring chances that were ruined by incorrect offside calls, including one that ended in the back of the net.
The only match where NZ could be described as having "scraped through" was the away win against Vanuatu, and as the return fixture against them indicated, there were some extenuating circumstances. I mean credit to Vanuatu for making NZ work for it, and credit to their fans who, like Fiji's, got right behind their team, but the officiating was quite poor.
The heat and humidity played a big part in both the away matches, and so did the standard of the pitches, which had very uneven surfaces (plus the pitch in Fiji was supposedly on a slight slope :googly: ).

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Jesus, now that was a quick reply :googly: :D at least as far as the usual pace of this forum is concerned ;)

I'm not sure what you mean though. After the group phase is complete the only playoff will be between the group winner, which looks pretty much certain to be New Zealand, and the fifth placed country from Asia.

Fiji seem to have already given up by the way. In their last match they played what was basically their U-23 side in an effort to get them ready for qualifying for the Olympics. I think it's now all down to New Caledonia to try to make the group interesting.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
I just got the info from Wikipedia. Maybe the OFC website will say the real thing.

Wikipedia says "The top two teams of the second round will play in the third and final round, a home-and-away knock-out playoff. The winner of this final will be crowned OFC Nations Cup champion."

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
From what I understand the top team of Oceania... new Zealand... will have a play-off match with an Asian team for the WC.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Adriano said:
I just got the info from Wikipedia. Maybe the OFC website will say the real thing.

Wikipedia says "The top two teams of the second round will play in the third and final round, a home-and-away knock-out playoff. The winner of this final will be crowned OFC Nations Cup champion."
Oh, sorry, I thought you were talking about some other island nation not from the group, which of course isn't possible as this is the only group. I don't know if there will be a playoff between first and second in the end. I haven't actually seen it acknowledged by the OFC anywhere, and it seems pretty redundant, as though it was left over from the days of two Oceania groups. But, it wouldn't surprise me if they finish with the present group stage and then announce: "OK, so we said the group winner would play against the fifth placed Asian team, but get this, you know the team we just played home and away a couple of months ago? Well guess what? We're playing them again!!" ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts