Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rather than going over things won back in the mists of time

I was just wondering how much of your clubs success' you remember happening and have or feel a personal connection with?

For me its basically anything that happened from around about 1986 onwards - although i had been to a few games before then, played football etc my first main memories of football begin around the time of Mexico 86. So while i was born for the scottish cup in 1981 and the league cup wins of 1981, 1983 and 1984 I was too young to remember them happening.

So since then it's been:

7 Scottish Cups, 11 League Cups and 13 League titles :star:

Not a bad return :thumbsup:

I also remember Dundee Uniteds great run in the UEFA Cup (about 1987?) especially their games against Barcelona. And St Mirren winning the Scottish Cup in 1987 with Ian Fergusons goal. I think that was my first cup final at Hampden.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Great idea for a thread! :thmbup: It's one of those ones that I'll probably remember more from other people's posts than my own.

I can't think of a definitive year from when I remember football but Spain '82 is the earliest World Cup finals I remember- although not that clearly. I remember the game against Wales in which Jock Stein died and we qualified for Mexico '86 with Alex Ferguson taking over for that competition.

My Rangers memories are not so vivid. When I was younger I was taken to all the games and must have visited nearly every ground in Scotland but can't remember any of that. Really it was the Souness years onward that are the clearest but I do remember occassional games or goals from way before that. Like McLeish's goal for Aberdeen against Rangers when they beat us 4-1 in a cup final.

I remember the two Dundee United vs Barcelona games too. They were real cracking games.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
My first Rangers game was around March 1991, but I didn't really have a sense of us winning important matches until the game against Aberdeen on the final day of the season. Hateley's header is still one of my favourite goals to watch.

My memory of our results is pretty good from there on in. I was pretty much a fanatic going into the 4 in a row season when we signed Andy Goram, Staurt McCall, David Roberston...etc. That season I went to the only match where I actually stood up. It was the Skol Cup semi-final against Hibs at Hampden. We lost 1-0, and I remember Goram getting a bit of stick roundabout that time.

Probably the first match I have a vague recollection of is the 1990 world cup final.

·
Registered
461 Posts
My first recollecion is the SKOL cup final in 1989, where Aberdeen beat us 2-1. Walter scored a penalty that day after Super Ally 'fell over' in the box.

Ever since I've fallen in love with the club.

Can't even start to think about how many trophies we have won since then, but its something I am proud of as a fan as I have been there and seen it. I can never understand why so many Celtic fans harp on about what a team they never knew or saw live did nearly 40 years ago and try and rub it in our faces. Seems to me that there is just as much embarrassment in not doing it since if they have such great European credentials.

My best memories as a Rangers fan would be 9 in a row obviously, the day we signed Gazza and the run we had in the CL where we were so unlucky not to qualify (the one with Bayern, Valencia and Sturm Graz).

I had a season ticket for 3 years, but when I moved out of home 4 years back it became something not feasibly possible. Being a student, I have to work Saturdays. I can't wait until I graduate and I can get another.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Laddie said:
and the run we had in the CL where we were so unlucky not to qualify (the one with Bayern, Valencia and Sturm Graz).
You're getting two seasons mixed up.

We played Bayern, Valencia, and PSV in 1999/00.

Sturm Graz, Monaco, and Galatasaray were played the following season.

I can remember things from the age of two but my football memories are very late. The earliest specific Rangers goal I can remember watching was McCoist's overhead kick in the 1993 League Cup final. I was certainly supporting Rangers before that but I can't remember anything specific, mainly because I watched the Rangers videos all the time which have mucked about with my memory.

Wow, possibly my longest ever post. Celebration time.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Those two Champions League seasons were great under Advocaat. We were unlucky in the first season and that freekick, as TB mentioned before, late on by Bayern at Ibrox to scrape a draw was a real heartbreaker.

The following season We started fantastically and then got hammered with injuries. To think we hammered Sturm Graz 5-0 in the first game and they ended up progressing. That was followed by a great victory in Monaco with a great Gio strike- I remember Tugay was outstanding that day playing the anchorman. The injury to Klos especially though done us and the replacement Christiansen was pants.

To jog your memory on those European Champions League campaigns have a look on this thread. Good bit of nostalgia in there, and some bad nostalgia too of coarse.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Oops, thanks for reminding me Marco. I remember the PSV games now, we beat them 4-1 and 1-0. The 4-1 game was one of our best European performances I have ever seen.

Those two years, I am sure we had one of the top 10 teams in Europe without a doubt. Albertz, Gio, Ferguson, Reyna, Kanchelskis (when he was good), Mols (before he got injured), even people likle Wallace, Amo and Porrini never let us down then either. Remember that Valencia and Bayern met in the final that year too. ;)

Those were the days eh? Lets hope they wont be too far away again.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Marco Negri said:
Sturm Graz were a bloody weird team. Didn't they lose every away game but win all the home games? Can't believe we lost to them after humping them at Ibrox.
Very strange. They definitely didn't travel but had a fantastic home record. Rangers and Monaco hammered them 5-0 but somehow they managed to get a 2-2 draw in Instanbul on matchday 6. Their home results were in complete contrast a 3-0 win over Galatasaray, 2-0 win over Monaco and a 2-0 win over Rangers.

They had already qualified before the last match in Turkey though and actually done us a favour but we could only draw 2-2 at home to Monaco. We finished on the same points as Galatasaray and with a much better goal difference but since they had beaten us 3-2 and we'd only drawn 2-2 with them we went out.

Laddie said:
Oops, thanks for reminding me Marco. I remember the PSV games now, we beat them 4-1 and 1-0. The 4-1 game was one of our best European performances I have ever seen.

Those two years, I am sure we had one of the top 10 teams in Europe without a doubt. Albertz, Gio, Ferguson, Reyna, Kanchelskis (when he was good), Mols (before he got injured), even people likle Wallace, Amo and Porrini never let us down then either. Remember that Valencia and Bayern met in the final that year too. ;)

Those were the days eh? Lets hope they wont be too far away again.
That was a great team we had at that time and we were in a real tough group then. We also put Parma out in the qualifying stages to get there and they were no mugs at that time. The Valencia games were disappointing because they wiped the floor with us, certainly in the opening game, but we didn't know how good they really were at that point. We competed well with Bayern and were unlucky not to take more points off them. We excelled in the PSV games, I remember big Ruud never got a sniff in either leg.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Aye, Valencia were supposedly the Aberdeen of Europe back then :dielaugh:. We must have been the Berwick Rangers if that was the case. The game in Munich versus Bayern in Munchen in Germany was the real sickener, probably the worst i've ever felt after a match. We should have been 3-0 up in the first half with wee Mikey on fire, until the big girl with the blond hair basically ended his career. If I remember rightly we only needed a draw, and Bayern won 1-0 with a penalty.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Yes, a draw would have taken us through in that game. Before the game started they had 6 points and we had 7 points. Strunz scored the penalty in the first half. Bugger!

Bayern went on to get knocked out in the semi final by eventual winners Real Madrid. It was a bit of a shock because in the second group phase they topped the group with Real Madrid finishing second. They actually beat Real Madrid 4-2 away and then 4-1 at home. They knocked out Porto in the quarter final before losing to ReaL Madrid in the semi 3-2 on aggregate.

Valencia finished second in their table in the second group stage behind Manchester United. They beat Lazio in the quarter finals and then Barcelona in the Semi final. They lost the final to Real Madrid by a 3-0 scoreline.

Both sides were obviously among the best in Europe that season and we competed very well against them.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Seeing as our esteemed Celtic Forum moderator, or is that dictator?, removed my images from the forum and set about making a new rule that know Rangers images are allowed in the Celtic forum I thought I'd post them here. For the record there were 3 images that related to my post and the subject matter "Favourite match during MON's Reign?". Not to worry, each to their own. My favourite match was Rangers 5-1 mauling of Celtic and I've reposted the 3 images below plus additional ones. This game and other moments were nostalgic moments I hold fondly.

With Celtic fans still shouting about their 6-2 in the opening game of the season the next fixture at Ibrox was a must win game for Rangers. Not only a must-win but the fans wanted it done in style. That was a big ask. How do you go about hammering a side who have already beat you by 4 goals in the last match? Just beat them by 4 goals in the next match. ;) Martin O'Neill brought his side to Ibrox in November 2000.

Rangers 5-1 Celtic

Bazza got the scoring underway to give Rangers the lead. Rangers 1-0 Celtic

Larsson pulled one back for Celtic in the second half but much maligned Tore Andre Flo put Ranges ahead again with a goal on his debut. Rangers 2-1 Celtic

There was no stopping the Gers as Ronald de Boer, Lorenzo Amoruso and Michael Mols all netted. A great game to remember Rangers 5-1 Celtic :thumbsup:

The Rangers players were ecstatic as O'Neill suffered his biggest defeat to date as Celtic manager.

Other nostalgia

The Rangers huddle. Apartently not allowed :nono:

The magnificent Celtic support in impecable form. Rangers win the league, they spit the dummy and the referee is down and wounded by a coin.

Celtic spit the dummy again after Rangers beat them on their own doorstep. The referee is wiser this time and stays in the centre circle out of firing range. Ricksen though is the victim this time of a thrown lighter. It's prompted claims that if Celtic sell their stadium name to fund the Bellamy transfer they may rename it the "THE STADIUM OF LIGHTers"

Rangers record their first victory at Celtic Park since Martin O'Neill took charge. Hitman Novo puts the game beyond doubt and celebrates in front of the Rangers fans.

More to follow soon... :thmbup:

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Lol, wonder if there is a davidrsc site too. :D

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A thread on FF has reminded me of this one:

Rangers 2 - 0 Parma (August 1999)

Parma knocked us out the UEFA Cup the previous year and then went on to win it so it was going to be really tough to beat them in the champions league qualification game. Probably the hardest draw we could have got that year because that Parma team was really strong with the likes of Buffon, Cannavaro, Veron, Crespo, Thuram, Ortega....and Vanoli :D (Chiesa was suspended or injured so missed out and he spent quite a while outside the main entrance signing autographs for Gers fans before the game..that's one of my favourite programmes i've got over the years :) )

But forget all them everything was ok, because we had Tony Vidmar :D

I've said it before in another thread but that year we played the best football i've ever seen us play- not just competing well in Europe but doing it in a skillfull manner (unlike for example the run in 1992-93 where the fighting spirit and a more traditional "Scottish" approach was our strengths). The atmosphere was great to start with but because we kicked off the game at a really high tempo and the crowd responded to this by getting behind the team even more...and the team responded to that again....it was like a frenzy. Brilliant!

"I'll never forget that game against Rangers and the atmosphere in their stadium in Glasgow, it was incredible, absolutely unbelievable." - Cannavaro

"Every time i go back to Argentina I always talk about Ibrox to my friends. It's an incredible experience and I have great respect for the supporters - they are strong and supportive but their enthusiasm never spills into violence. Unique" - Crespo

"I remember two great games against the Glasgow clubs. Rangers and Celtic were both very strong opponents in Europe. I have nothing but good memories of the occasions. I remember the spectacular entrance at Ibrox and the crowd singing Simply The Best." - Buffon

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
I'm surprised Cannavaro speaks so highly of it since he got sent off early on (at least I think it was him). It should really have been more than 2-0 that night, which meant the return in Parma was very nervy. Even the Italians were saying after that match they'd never seen such a good defensive performance. Big Colin Hendry was magnificent I seem to remember (Amo wasn't too bad either). Just as we were beginning to think we had done enough, that horse-wannabe Charbonnier throws one into the net. Think there was still about 15 minutes to go as well. Rarely been as nervous as that during a game. If they'd got another one, there would only have been one winner (as we found out later in the season when Dortmund overturned a 2-0 deficit from Ibrox to win on penalties).

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
The Buffon quote is on the Rangers Official Site today. Seems he was taken away by the Ibrox experience. That's the first I've seen of the other quotes though- very impressive.

I've never seen that game. I was on holiday when it was played and no where was showing it. I had to phone home that night for the result. I couldn't believe we had beeaten them- they were a good side.

The Dortmund game I remember well- what a nightmare that turned into. The previous game where we lost 3-1 to Parma was one I'd rather forget too. That day it was the two Italians in our own team that undone us with Porrini getting a red card and Amorouso giving away a needless penalty.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts