Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we now can puit this shamble of a WC behind us

let us speak of it no more

who is opur next caoch and more importantly what will our squad be for the E04.

I admire rapiac and bokis and all the older boys but really i think we need to sacrficie them for the younger lads.

or else they will pull a suker prosinecki type deal

OUT
boka (retire)
rapaic (will not be the same in 04)
prosi
suker
soldo
jarni

we need young blood, our defence should be better with tudor back.

i hope our group is tough as then we will play agaisnt the better teams and it will help us in the long run.

Lav

·
©
7,230 Posts
We still need Rapaic. He gave everything during the World Cup and before we can think about how old everybody will be in 04 we have to get there first. He was probably the best player and at the moment we need him.

BTW...is it just my computer or is this site really slow.

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well i agree but i think in 04 he will be a prosi/ suker deal

Lav

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Tomislav Maric should be the first player to get the call up. jebemti pas Jozic for not calling him. I'm sure he would still be running right now. Croatia scored 2 goals in 4 minutes. That was it in 3 matches. If maric's form is good at the beginning of the season, he should be in the team.

Ivan Leko should be given his opportunity. We need more ball players in our midfield. That's the main reason why we failed at the WC. no ball players, no creativity, no shooting from distance.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
OUT with the following players...

Jarni (thankyou, especially for the Germany goal and cross for Olic)

Prosinecki (wasnt meant to be, but still one of the greatest ball players to have graced a soccer field)

Suker (will always be remembered. Golden Boot winner)

Soldo (the rock in our mid. underated but always did us proud)

Stanic (thanx for 98)

Tomas (bjezi od NT. No place in the croatian midfield)

Saric (how did you even make the sqaud?)

these players should be kept but left on the bench.
Rapaic (still cant cross the ball. thanx for the Italy goal, maybe a spot on the bench)

N. Kovac (nothing special about him, doesnt offer anything in attack)

My team would look something like this for upcoming qualifiers....

_________________PLETIKOSA__________________

__________KOVAC____TUDOR___SIMIC___________

____ZIVKOVIC___LEKO___S.MARIC____SERIC_______

__________________VUGRINEC__________________

_____________BOKSIC______T.MARIC_____________

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
for the qualifiers, we need to give more chance to the youngsters in the first team:
Seric, Vranjes, Olic, Leko... maybe few other players will make name for themselves in coming months as well, like carevic, andric, sablic, and look at others like T. Maric, S. Maric, Balaban, Biscan, depending on their current form

at least... and start building new team around them... team that will play together at least 20 games, and get to know each other, like WC '98 team did...

...Tomas is still young, definetly a keeper... Suker, Prosinecki, Boksic, Soldo should be retired... Jarni & Stanic should depend on current performances (Stanic is only 30)

·
Registered
Hrvatska, Hajduk
3,666 Posts
The player that aggravated me more than anyone else in this WC was Stanic.

I think he should be dropped from the squad for the qualifiers. He has no passion or desire left. OUT!!!!!

Tomas can stay as a defensive sub but he does NOT belong anywhere near the midfield.

I still say HOW the HELL does Saric make a WC squad? Zivkovic would have been so much better down the wing today.

Boka, Suker and Proki announced that they are retiring. Jarni and Soldo should do the same.

Vugrinec should have started instead of Olic - he showed his lack of experience.
Vranjes should have been instead of Tomas - Tomas' pass to Vugi that went out of bounds was painful to watch.

I think we NEED to find a place for Leko in our squad until Carevic, Kranjcar, Srna, or someone else can fill that midfield general role. S. MAric cannot play that position but if he shows some of that early potential he should definitely be given a shot in our midfield.

Our strength is obviously our defence

Tudor
R Kovac
Simic
Simunic
Zivkovic
Seric
Sablic

these guys will ensure a strong back line for years to come

As for Forwards

Vugrinec
Olic
Balaban

are definitely in there

T Maric
Petric
Deranja
M Bilic

should fight it out for a spot.

Midfield is our big problem

Rapaic is important and N Kovac is useful. Vranjes should be filling Soldo's spot.

Hopefully the guys I mentioned above are given a chance and restore some PRIDE and PASSION into our National team.

ALSO we need a leader. We didn't have one this WC.

Igor Tudor should be our new captain. I've never seen him slag off playing for our NT and he looks like a guy who would slap aroung guys who did.

well, that's my take on things.

I'm so depressed....
:depress:

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
baraba said:
Tomas can stay as a defensive sub but he does NOT belong anywhere near the midfield.

I still say HOW the HELL does Saric make a WC squad?

i know i've been harsh on Tomas, he did a great job in defense against Italy. But why did Jozic put him in CM i dont know. For some reason there's something about him that i like, but its got nothing to do with the way he plays. He just seems like a nice guy.

And what you said about Saric. spot on.

·
Banned
692 Posts
Tudor

I'd play my a$$ off if I was a player and Tudor was my captain. I wouldn't want to get slapped by him :D

PS...Rapaic is only 29, why write him off?

PPS...not that I like him, but did everyone forget Sokota :(

·
Registered
235 Posts
Re: Tudor

PPS...not that I like him, but did everyone forget Sokota :( [/B]

Ohh please, the last thing the NT needs is a wanna be prima donna like this a$$hole.

Other wise, talent aside, the next NT should be filled with guys with heart, passion and willingness to fight for every ball.

·
Registered
10,611 Posts
we lost cuz Petar Krpan wasnt on this team;) actually come to think of it we had a bunch of guys that were exactly like him playing for our n/t this time around:(

its ok guys we will be back for euro 2004 we have to we have a great young defence and all we have to do now is reorganize the attack and mid like someone said lets use the next 10-20 games to see who fits in that midfield leader/creator role. We also have a stable enough keeper in Pletikosa who did his job this world cup allowing only 2 goals the other was a penalty so i dont count that.

as for my line-up i cant predict that because who knows what the future holds all i am sure of is the next wave of Croatian players will do us proud like this one already did!

thank Vatreni for at least beating Italy:) and showing that we can still beat anybody on any given day BUT also lose to anyone as well ah thats life 2 world cups in 2 attempts to qualify what more can we ask the old guys gave it thier all in 98 and this time they at least got us back to the big show unlike some other huge teams like Holland and Czech Rep.

so once again this world cup wasnt as magical as 98 but still some postives came of it!

HRVATSKA HRVATSKA

·
International
8,545 Posts
Well Rapaic isn't old and any talk of him not being on the team or even on the bench is unwarranted and it just won't and shouldn't happen. You don't go from being the team's most important offensive player to being dropped in the blink of an eye. He might be older than Vugrinec but he's a better player and if they're competing for the same spot, Rapa should get and will get it.

Prosinecki already said he's retiring from international football after the WC. Suker...who know's, probably thinks he should start EURO2004. Boka will probably retire as well, he had so many injuries and he's probably had enough. I thought Jarni had an okay WC but we have Seric for that role now so it's really no benefit to us to have Jarni there anymore. Soldo did well but he's old and will most likely retire.

We need to find somebody for right midfield, Stanic is just past it, Saric had a good WC I thought, but not a very good player and although some rate Zivkovic, I wouldn't even have him on the bench.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
All of you guys are selecting Pletikosa on the team but I think that he's not that great of a goalkeeper at all!
I think that this kid Vedran Runje of Olimpique Marseille is much better and I did saw him number of times on Fox Sports World.
Vedran Runje reminds me of mexican goalkeeper,he is everywhere in the box(unlike Stipe Pletikosa)and kid's got some guts!
He is flying into the crosses (like Sepp Maier)and he's got all the qualities of the world class goalkeeper!
Maybe he's next for our NT!

SPwolf,voli te majstor iako smo ispusili od Ekvadora...

·
©
7,230 Posts
Deranja???
M. Bilic???

Deranja can't even score for Hajduk and is not even first choice striker and M. Bilic has barely done anything in Spain.

We have forwards. Hopefully Balaban get's in form again, Olic should learn from this, Bjelanovic is just as good as both of them and hopefully he does well in Italy. Not to mention others like Petric, Sokota (maybe) and current players like Vugrinec and even Vlaovic who suprisingly didn't even get a run at the WC.

Midfield is still the problem. I agree there needs to be new blood in there and I even like the idea of playing Tudor in there because of our strong defence. Seric should play aswell.

There are also some quality players in the HNL that can easily contribute something.

·
Registered
212 Posts
First things first appoint a coach for next 4 years and set out a plan.Plan should consist of 2 stages:
- 1) Euro 2004 and 2) WC2006
with a realistic view that wc06 is priority and will most likely take this amount of time to rebuild and form a quality squad.Identify strengths and weaknesses etc.

A need to blue print a style,formation that is both updated and supports the CRO style of play needs to be formulated from which a squad of players can be earmarked with a backbone structured.eg:longterm Pletikosa,Tudor,R.Kovac,Vranjes are potentailly world class players with the likes of Simic,Simunic,Zivkovic,Vugrinec,Rapaic,Seric,Tomas,Olic,Balaban,Biscan viewed as players who will be around to support at least Euro campaign and possibly beyond.Guys like Stanic and N.Kovac will most likely be required during Euro 04 campaign given their experience.
Also definately a need to foster potential stars on the horizon with the likes of Babic,Kranjcar,Carevic,Sablic etc.We cant afford to throw them all at the deep end at once but we need to start soon .

Thank you for the memories Suker,Boksic,Vlaovic,Jarni,Soldo,Prosinecki etc.These legends will live on and achievements from France 98 will live forever...

Lets be patient......success is not created overnight!

·
Keyboard Hero
8,368 Posts
There's no way to predict how any of these players' forms will be in four or even two years. Who knows? Maybe S. Maric will become what he was supposed to be, there's no way to tell.

But for me the key ingredient is a good coach and this...

Other wise, talent aside, the next NT should be filled with guys with heart, passion and willingness to fight for every ball.
.....a key statement. Look at the Irish. Not much technical greatness but they play like warriors and fight! Ditto to the Germans, they play as a team and hard.

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
I see room for these players, if they raise their form or keep it.

S. Maric- better technically than Vugi or Rapaja and can adapt to play deeper in midfield, he's got plenty of experience, he is only 26 or 27?

Babic, T. Maric (our most successfull striker of the season), Leko(midfielder, pretty good, ned I say more?), Biscan (who better to replace Soldo? Vranjes is also good, Biscan is better)

Rapaja should stay, Balaban might hit form, Seric will play, defense will be unchanged and maybe Rukavina can earn a spot on the right(he is better than Saric or the new look Stanic, Rukavina is cassy, pacey and technically superb)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts