Xtratime Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of promising young wingers out of England suddenly. How did this happen? Do any of them have the potential to become great? Some will fall through the cracks of course.

Not counting Sterling and other folks already well established:

Jadon Sancho. 19yo, Dortmund - the most hyped of all, seems to have it all, but still has not fully exploded IMO.

Daniel James. 21 yo, Manchester United - looks absolutely fantastic, crazy fast, great control and shoot with both feet

Mason Mount. 20 yo, Chelsea - great off the ball, obvious knack for seeking spaces and finding the goal, seems like a very intelligent player

Callum Hudson-Odoi. 18 yo, Chelsea - also extremely hyped and still very young, seems like an incredible talent, unstoppable when in form

Harvey Barnes. 21 yo, Leicester - less hyped, but looks extremely promising too, really strong and can shoot the ball, just needs to become more consistent

Harry Wilson. 22 yo, Bornemouth on loan from Liverpool - perhaps entering a second tier here and a bit less of a traditional winger, but the little guy has great shot and can score goals

Dwight McNeil. 19 yo, Burnley, another that gets less hype but impressive every time I see him, really direct, creates trouble every time

Jack Grealish. 24 yo, Aston Villa - not so young anymore and arguably not even a winger though he usually plays wide, but great talent and fun to watch, more traditional wide playmaker

Demarai Gray. 23 yo. Leicester - seems to have faded, perhaps won't become all that but still a useful, very direct player

·
Administrator
52,118 Posts
Nice list tho reaching it but with the bottom half maybe.

Most are alright to good mid level options. I rate highly only 2 of them (need to see more of James, seems merely a speed merchant with decent finishing).

Sancho is essentially already a borderline top player, creates easily for others ( top 3 in Europe in assists last season ) and needs to work in his finishing for next level so he can be an all around threat.

And 2nd one is the youngest one of them, and arguably potentially the best. Hudson Udoi. Every single instance I seen him this kid screams a certified future top top player. Everything looks so easy for him, ridiculously skilled. Is still just 18. Few years from now expect him to do what Sterling is doing currently.

·
Super Moderator
13,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Daniel James represents Wales unfortunately.
Not for the Welsh of course. Even more fun.

Nice list tho reaching it but with the bottom half maybe.

Most are alright to good mid level options. I rate highly only 2 of them (need to see more of James, seems merely a speed merchant with decent finishing).

Sancho is essentially already a borderline top player, creates easily for others ( top 3 in Europe in assists last season ) and needs to work in his finishing for next level so he can be an all around threat.

And 2nd one is the youngest one of them, and arguably potentially the best. Hudson Udoi. Every single instance I seen him this kid screams a certified future top top player. Everything looks so easy for him, ridiculously skilled. Is still just 18. Few years from now expect him to do what Sterling is doing currently.
Agree about Hudson Odoi, but I've seen little of him. I was not super impressed by Sterling when he was very young actually, only under Rodgers he started showing really a massive potential, sometimes playing as AMC and being effective. But he has improved so much under Guardiola. He creates an incredible amount of chances -- too bad he misses quite often too, because he could be an absolutely top goalscorer.

IMO James is a top-notch talent. The way he drives the ball at full pace is a pleasure to watch.

I think I may have been unlucky with Sancho, the talents is absolutely obvious but he's never been the best player in the pitch any Dortmund game I've watched.

Mount is also very interesting, maybe not really and out and out winger but he's also very good at helping buld from the back and helps a ton with defending and pressing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts