Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sadly, we probably know the most dominant league in the world today....some people, like me, may say its only the Top 4 teams that are dominant, but what the heck, don't wanna argue about that

But one thing most of us (i think, at least) know is that sooner or later, there will be another dominant league...so what will it be?

will La liga prevail again?
can our beloved Serie A be back to its best?
Or will the Germans take advantage of the marketing and financial potential to be the next powerhouse?
or is it the turn of the Russians?

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
this dominant league malarky is getting really tedious- this is club football, not national football- lets forget about all this arguing between fans of different leagues

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
I agree with you about the top 4 argument Nindra. Aston Villa, the next best side went out to a CSKA side still in pre season. Okay they played their reserves in the second leg but probably would of went out anyway.

CSKA aren't even the best side in Russia and haven't been for at least 2 seasons. So to say that these 4 results are indicative of the overall quality of the league are wrong. Also that said, there was probably a lot less between the English and Italian sides this year than last. Roma went out on penalties whilst Chelsea scraped through and tonight's game between Man Utd and Inter, the difference was in who took their chances.

As for the question of the thread. The German league could but it would have to start showing some intention of signing some big players. Only Toni and Ribery can be considered coups and there are already rumours that he's on his way out. They've got the infrastructure and fan base to be able to but I don't think so.

Russia, they won't attract the biggest names because of the climate. No one wants to go to Russia when its -20 or whatever. They can reach the level of the Bundesliga or Ligue 1 (some argue it already has) but not the top 3 IMO.

I think it will be either the Spanish or Italian league that end up becoming dominant again. Though I'd prefer there was no dominance. If it were up to me, we wouldn't have 3 or 4 sides from one country representing. This expansion has destroyed 2 European Cup competitions, whilst some argue it's actually destroyed 3.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Why is there such a fascination of whose league is the best? If the EPL is the best, or the Bundesliga, or Serie A, or whatever, it's not going to make me not watch La Liga and it's not going to make me not support Barcelona.

Besides all of the top leagues have hardly a local identity anymore. Look at all of the top teams in any of the leagues, all dominated by foreign players. Heck Liverpool had more Spaniards playing in the CL match than Real Madrid did.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts