Xtratime Community banner

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
Realistically if no good and perspective coach is willing to accept the job (I doubt it, we are the second most successful club worldwide and we pay in millions E not in potatoes) WE should look at caretaker candidate until the end of the season or until a good manager is available.

Maybe old Wenger can try his luck, and he likes young players so why not :)

·
Super Moderator
13,618 Posts
Unbelievable

·
Super Moderator
13,618 Posts
I wonder who'd be the next in line if Pioli fails.

Surely time for another ex-Milan player? Got to try that. Then another midtable Serie A manager. And then another one! Then why not try an ex-Milan player? If that doesn't work, we should probably give a midtable Serie A manager a chance. Maybe two if it doesn't work the first one.

·
Registered
57,627 Posts
With Pioli you will get some good moments and some bad ones. Problem with him is that when things go bad, he doesn't know what to do. At least this is based on his time at Inter.

Your season really looks like Inter of 2016-2017. Fire a coach quickly (De Boer in our case, Giampaolo yours), then bring in Pioli. The guy really gets himself into situations which aren't ideal after failed coaches, but he can now say he coached both Milan clubs, not bad..

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I'm not happy, but when I think that Jean Paul is gone, I can't help but smile. I'm not expecting anything with Pioli, but his average win % is much higher than Giampaolo. He has always done good in his first season with any club. And since we would not have gotten Champions League, **** everything else. Just play simple football so Piatek starts scoring again.

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
What worries me is the likes of Romagnoli and Donna decide they have enough of this circus. It’s a pity if these really happen. But I won’t hold my breath on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
What worries me is the likes of Romagnoli and Donna decide they have enough of this circus. It’s a pity if these really happen. But I won’t hold my breath on this.
It's bound to happen and let's hope they take Suso and Hakan with them. Hopefully their replacements are decent otherwise welcome to the misery where Milan never left.

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
It's bound to happen and let's hope they take Suso and Hakan with them. Hopefully their replacements are decent otherwise welcome to the misery where Milan never left.

I hope Suso and Hakan are part of Giampaolo technical team who’s shown the door instead!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,497 Posts
Man U closing in on Allegri...money talks!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Man U closing in on Allegri...money talks!
Allegri also wants a foreign experience after watching many of his countrymen managing outside. But it's true that money talks. He'll double his wages from Juve. And will most likely get 6 times what Giampaolo got.

·
Super Moderator
13,618 Posts
It should be fun to watch Allegri and see how he does in Manchester. He is a very capable, no nonsense guy... And while I think the weakness of that United Squad has been vastly exaggerated (though they should have kept Lukaku or signed another striker this year), it's an incredibly challenging job.

It's interesting to compare their list of managers in these bad years with ours. Obviously they have infinitely more resources to both hire managers and to get them players, but they clearly got it wrong with Moyes and Solksjaer was a caretaker who did too well for their own good in that amazing run (in some ways typical for a caretaker manager), and they were too quick to renew him. But they also hired Van Gaal and Mourinho, and while both didn't quite make it either, the team was so much more competitive under them. Surely their next manager will be another ambitious hire, regardless of whether they are Portuguese, Scottish, Dutch or Italian, experienced in the league and whatever. They'll get the best manager they can. And this is a management who allegedly don't understand football at all.

By contrast, Milan have had four consecutive managements -- one of the most successful in history in Galliani and co., the "experts" Mirabelli and Fassone, the widely respected Leonardo, and now the Gazidis-Maldini-Boban trio. Together these Milan managements have spent close to half a billion Euro in player fees over less than a decade, but not a single one of them have been willing to prioritize an even remotely proven manager as the key building stone to create a competitive team.

I'll never understand it.

·
Registered
17,497 Posts
We cant afford a decent manger now as he will expect $$$$ in transfer kitty.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
It should be fun to watch Allegri and see how he does in Manchester. He is a very capable, no nonsense guy... And while I think the weakness of that United Squad has been vastly exaggerated (though they should have kept Lukaku or signed another striker this year), it's an incredibly challenging job.

It's interesting to compare their list of managers in these bad years with ours. Obviously they have infinitely more resources to both hire managers and to get them players, but they clearly got it wrong with Moyes and Solksjaer was a caretaker who did too well for their own good in that amazing run (in some ways typical for a caretaker manager), and they were too quick to renew him. But they also hired Van Gaal and Mourinho, and while both didn't quite make it either, the team was so much more competitive under them. Surely their next manager will be another ambitious hire, regardless of whether they are Portuguese, Scottish, Dutch or Italian, experienced in the league and whatever. They'll get the best manager they can. And this is a management who allegedly don't understand football at all.

By contrast, Milan have had four consecutive managements -- one of the most successful in history in Galliani and co., the "experts" Mirabelli and Fassone, the widely respected Leonardo, and now the Gazidis-Maldini-Boban trio. Together these Milan managements have spent close to half a billion Euro in player fees over less than a decade, but not a single one of them have been willing to prioritize an even remotely proven manager as the key building stone to create a competitive team.

I'll never understand it.
But United have hired "high profile, experienced managers", no? Where has that led them? Moyes (well experienced and who at that time was the most sought after coach in the PL after Wenger), Van Gaal, Mourinho. They all failed. Even with the resources and hundreds of millions spent on players. Goes to show it's not as clear cut or black and white as we think it is. A lot of things need to fall into place for things to work out in the long run. So it's not only about a big name coach or rooky coach or a coach with or without impressive CV.

·
Super Moderator
13,618 Posts
Manchester finished second in the EPL under Mourinho and won Europa League. Van Gaal finished higher than the unproven and midtable ones (Solksjaer and Moyes).

But what’s your point? Of course there are no guarantees. Even a manager with a mediocre record like Giampaolo could have won the Champions League or something with a mediocre squad. And the best managers have failed, even with great squads. Surely you’re not obtuse enough to call people “ignorant” for making clear that is very unlikely. Giampaolo’s results with Milan were about the same he’s had everywhere he’s coached. Think about that.

It It has been a huge risk to get managers without a proven record, especially when the squad is not great and needs guidance.

Ultimately, you have seen me criticize Giampaolo’s appointment since day one because it follows a pattern of getting mediocre or “promising” managers when we needed proven ones or at least ones with real achievements — and for the umpteenth time, it’s not always the case, but in the current crisis, with the quality of the squads we have, we absolutely do to improve our chances.Then Giampaolo fails miserably and gets sacked in seven games. You can agree or not, but do you really think you can convince he was a good appointment and is a “great” manager after that? Because other people talk nicely about him to the press? I have even said it’s likely he does very well elsewhere. He was just a very poor hire.

Given the results are just not there, maybe you’ve been impressed by his tactics and personality... I have not. And I fail to see what has been impressive. At any rate, I am pretty sure that it’s up to you to prove why a manager who never finished above 9th is great or was a good hire. Just quoting other people saying so makes little sense.

On the other hand, if your argument is that managers generally need more time just say so. Even those who have have never proven anything and require exactly the players they want. I can agree with the principle and not the specifics.

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
But United have hired "high profile, experienced managers", no? Where has that led them? Moyes (well experienced and who at that time was the most sought after coach in the PL after Wenger), Van Gaal, Mourinho. They all failed. Even with the resources and hundreds of millions spent on players. Goes to show it's not as clear cut or black and white as we think it is. A lot of things need to fall into place for things to work out in the long run. So it's not only about a big name coach or rooky coach or a coach with or without impressive CV.
Yes, because it's the EPL. If they were in Serie A would have been champions most of the time.

61 - 80 of 86 Posts