Xtratime Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
1st Tier Poster
48,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I've been reading some books by Alain Robbe-Grillet and Michel Butor, authors representing Nouveau Roman movement in 1950-60s.Very interesting stuff, the structure and style of these books is very different of anything other I've read before.

Has anyone ever read anything from this genre?

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
It certainly sounds interesting though I've never read a book that pertains to this "style"; even though I've been interested in it. In a sense, the idea that there is no objective truth and that everything comes down to subjective opinions isn't essentially a philosophical concept unique to this whole Nouveau Roman thingo. I think this particular type of existentialism is present in pretty much all of modern literature, perhaps these guys take it a step further though.

·
1st Tier Poster
48,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure if there's any intentional philosphical concept behind this movement.The most distinctive feature of Noveau Roman is contrasting realism in every way.It's the structure of these books what makes this style special.Chaotical and indeterminate, confusing and disconnected, blending of reality and illusion.Unemotional visual descriptions, time out of joints, disintegrating characters...for some reason I find this style very enjoyable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts