Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Banned
10,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a newly released game? think it's crap? poor graphics? or do you think it's excellent and the best of it's serie's?

Well post here..:)

Game Name -
Rating (out of 10) -
Positive's -
Negative's -

Should help people decide which new game's to buy, including me :thumbsup:

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
The AOE3 demo looked brilliant. The full game that comes out next month will show more, but even just after the demo, I can see myself getting hooked up on multiplayer, like I do with AOE2:Q

·
Proud Juventino.
20,505 Posts
PES 5 / WE 9

8.5/10

Pros: great graphics, new style of gameplay, new transfers and freekicks + lobs are improved hence better + ability to play in Snow is available :)

Cons: The dribbling part isnt pretty much good, needs time to get along with.

·
Rated [D] for Danger
5,472 Posts
Genji: Dawn of the Samurai
PS2
7.5/10
Positives: the counter system and option to choose between two characters that play very differently.
Negatives: very short and doesn’t offer anything that wasn’t tried before (and done better).

Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks
PS2
8.5/10 (can’t believe that I actually liked something with MK in its title)
Positives: finally a new gen beat ‘em up game that actually has a fully working non-online co-op story mode that is extremely fun to play. comes with a perfect arcade port of MKII. offers two unlockable additional characters with their own set of moves and fatalities for replay value and many more characters to unlock for the versus mode which, albeit not that deep, isn’t half bad.
Negatives: boring story/voice acting/music.

Burnout Revenge
PS2
9/10
Positives: more of the old intense arcade racing and improved on with short cuts and big air jumps. insane crash mode.
Negatives: an extreme need of more variety as I only have 2 more levels to clear and I still race in the same 4 venues. maybe not acquiring real car licenses for the game was a good move as it preserves the arcade feel but they could’ve still let us customize the cars.

Urban Reign
PS2
9/10
Positives: this is the game that DefJam: Fight for NY should’ve been, exciting and fun multi-player fighting, extremely tight controls, very interesting characters and move-sets.
Negatives: this game is an acquired taste kinda game and unless you have 3 other friends who like the game and are willing to play with you then you’re in trouble, the single player mode is very generic and gets old fast (I only went through it to unlock stuff).

I’m only typing my expressions of the follwing two games as I didn’t spend enough time on them to fully review them, and I don’t intend to.

Xmen Legends: Rise of Apocalypse
PS2
--/10
I wanted to give this a try since its prequel did quite good (best selling X-men game if I’m not mistaking) and since I’m a fan of Marvel comics, but since there’s no way in hell I’d play an RPG (yeah, yeah, it’s not a pure RPG, I know) I nagged my brother into trying it. I won’t type what I think of the game from a comics fan point of view since that wouldn’t interest a lot of people but in general what I got to see was so boring I can’t see anyone wasting time with, then again taste is a subjective thing.

Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects
PS2
--/10
I really expected more from EA when they acquired the Marvel license but as soon as I saw the roster and actually got to play the game I knew they were trying to cash in the easiest way they can.

I’m also playing WE9 but there’s no need for me to review it since somebody else did and there’s a whole thread dedicated to it, however I disagree with Il_Capitano10 on the negative as I don’t find dribbling ineffective or hard to understand and pull off (it’s of course harder to dribble with players who have a low dribbling skill level) and the only negative I can find in the game is how buggy it is to defend (more often than not you’d walk right between a player and the ball and not get it and when you do it just bounces of the player you took it from in the direction of his movement creating a disadvantage as your player needs to turn, you’d slide tackle and in the time it takes your player to get up the same player you were supposed to take the ball from gets to get the ball and advance again ...etc.).

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
How many games did you buy??Can I borrow some of your money?:D

·
Rated [D] for Danger
5,472 Posts
X player said:
How many games did you buy??
enough to entertain me and my short attention span.
X player said:
Can I borrow some of your money?:D
no :D

what follows is my brother’s thoughts since everyone who’s been here long enough knows how biased I am when it comes to RPGs :D

please keep in mind that I haven’t finished these games yet and I’m giving my impression of what I’ve experienced so far.

Kingdom Under Fire: Heroes
Xbox
9/10
Positives: a very enjoyable mixture of real time strategy and hack and slash action. big replay value because of the multiple characters and their stories (not to mention styles of play).
Negatives: no tutorial as the producers seems to have assumed that everyone who’ll play the game has played its prequel, the soundtrack fits but is still average and so is the character design.

·
Proud Juventino.
20,505 Posts
GTA San Andreas

9.5/10

Pros: Many new areas, weapons, gangs, cars and anything u can ride (yes, even a jet or a bicycle!), great game in many stuff.

Cons: Police level is hard, when they reach 4 stars they really fcuk you up!!

and just wait to see the army :tongue:

Excellent and Brilliant game :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
So Il_Capitano10 and KyleLeonard are the new FM here since the banning of the Jedi, excuse me I'm behind ;). Good luck guys in the future and great thread KL.

New Xmen game sounds good.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Il_Capitano10 said:
GTA San Andreas

9.5/10

Pros: Many new areas, weapons, gangs, cars and anything u can ride (yes, even a jet or a bicycle!), great game in many stuff.

Cons: Police level is hard, when they reach 4 stars they really fcuk you up!!

and just wait to see the army :tongue:

Excellent and Brilliant game :thumbsup:
Very true about the police level, have you noticed. 4 star will try to flatten your tyre while 5 star or higher will try to blow up every vehicle you get in. Great fun.

·
Rated [D] for Danger
5,472 Posts
Soul Calibur III
PS2
9.5/10
Positives: the most complete and beautiful fighting game on the consol so far, I can’t believe how smooth this thing plays (60fps) considering the graphics. the system is still unbeaten when it comes to depth by any other 3D fighter except maybe for the Virtua Fighter series but SC is more fun to play IMO. a huge cast of characters and a create your own character feature ensures replay value. tournament/league versus mode.
Negatives: it’s small things but they’re small things that should’ve been a given and that’s why I can’t give the game a perfect score. first things first, I don’t give a crap if the game has online play or not, I’m not gonna judge the game for what it doesn’t have and considering the lag of PS2 online gaming and how much precise reflexes this game need (you can’t use the same strategy/combo like you would in Tekken for example over and over or you’ll be owned, you have to keep anticipating and strategizing all match long) it would’ve sucked big time. the real negatives are, not being able to set handicap and other options to the tournament/league mode. no team versus mode despite it being used in the Chronicles of the Sword mode. Chronicles of the Sword mode is not a proper RPG or strategy game but a point, click and fight sorta game and so all that empty fort attacking gets tedious fast. despite being able to view moves of original characters in practice mode you can’t with bonus and created characters (which is extremely odd). some of the classes for created characters are a complete joke (staff users), very ugly and over powered (lance users) or very incomplete (dagger users who have side throws that look exactly the same as their front throws). and finally, why the hell is Hwang a bonus character and not a main character, like Rock and Lizardman for example?

·
Registered
23,852 Posts
The PC man is here and have even played some games after not having done that for more than two months.

Call of Duty. 8/10

Polished game with a interesting capaign. The campaign do on the other hand suffer from eternal spawning enemies and being very linear. The fighting is intense and would feel realistic if not for the new damage system where you recover from damage. On the regular difficult seeting I played I could take machin gun fire time and again and only need 2 seconds rest between them... It flows better, but loses out on realism feeling. The missions are varied and the graphics are good. Nzai are evil again ;)

Civilization 4. 8/10

Like the other game I mentioned. fun and polished game. But in some ways lacking depth. The addition of civics and religion is nice, but don't have any depth to them and religion feel dumbed down totally as there is no difference between the religions. The combat compared to the ealier feels much better and the AI is clearly improved with less cheating than before. Graphics are not impressive but I don't need better, animations also lag on the large maps. Talking about maps there is less customisation, sad enough.

·
Registered
27,119 Posts
Purger said:
What do you guys think about NHL 2006?
Like i said before i hate it i wish EA would go back to the good old days and stop making this crappy arcade style game. NHL 2K is way better again this year!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Just got WRC Rally Evolved.
8/10
nice graphics, all the teams and real drivers. Most realistic rally game so far id say. Great watching the replays after you just complete a stage, very realistic.
Also if a person has crashed on the stage while you are driving on it, you will see the driver and co-driver warning you to slow down before you reach their car which might be blocking part of the road.

·
Proud Juventino.
20,505 Posts
Driv3er (3)

6/10, just tries to imitate GTA, good graphics, but dull because UR ACTULLY THE COP and try to chase the bad, so no fun here amigos.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts