Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The team going out to face Scotland is almost new. Now I know Nesta, Zambrotta, Vieri and Montella ae all out injured and will be beck, but its fascinating to see how much Lippi has changed the team and the formation.

Buffon - Experienced goalie of Juve and Italy. 55 caps, he has been in our squad since 97 so he is not new indeed.

Bonera - The 'talent' of Parma, but has remained this way for 4 years. Still only gained something like 6 caps, but now finally seems to be a fixture in the Italian line-up. Will move to a bigger club soon and we will see where he goes from there.

Cannavaro - Once more, nothing new, been in the Italy squad since 95/96 I think. Fourth in the all time appearances list so adds needed experience.

Materazzi - Been in the squad since 2001, so again nothing new, undeserved 19 apperances some will say, but then we havent had much choice.

Chiellini - Another of the new generation. 2 caps so far and a great season for Fiorentina, despite 1 or 2 bad months. He's apart of the 'new' Italy.

Gattuso - 33 appearances for Italy since 2000. Could have had more if Trap liked him a bit more. Not a new player, but under Lippi is finally getting his consistent chance.

Pirlo - Its unbelievable that our best talent in the late 90's has managed to gain only ten appearances or so. Same as Gattuso really, under Lippi he will finally get his chance.

Camoranesi - Started for Italy in 2003 and since has gained somewhere near fifteen apps. Quality player and at the age of 28/29 may be producing his most consistent season.

Totti - For Francesco he has played 45 games for Italy in 7 years. Not many at all and most of this is because of the player himself. Maybe hasnt showed the heart for Italy like he does for Roma, but under Lippi he could be changing (actually bothering to get fit to play Scotland)

Cassano - The third member of the starting team which is the new Italy. 6 apps, 3 goals. Not a bad record so far and even though he was apart of Euro 2004, i count him as the next generation.

Gilardino - Deserved to be at 04' but was left out. Now he has played 4 games with 2 goals scored. Another player for the new Azzuri and Lippi seems to be pinning his hopes onhim for the future.

Now the starting team has changed only slightly but the bench has changed massively.

De Sanctis - Yet to play for Italy, but Lippi has finally convoked a goalie who deserved one two years ago.

Zaccardo - Another of the next generation. Been solid for Palermo this year, but still many have doubts on him. Played 2 games for Italy so far.

Barzagli - Like Zaccardo... played a couple of games for the Italy but many still have doubters over whether he is the next best thing. 2 and a half years ago he was a star of Serie C1, so he has at least moved forward quickly and still has more time to develop.

De Rossi - Played four games under Lippi already who feels the Roman youngster is apart of the next best Italian team. Still just 22, and has proven already he can score goals from the midfield (2 for Italy plus about 6 for U21).

Barone - Not really young, but has obviously finally been given a go in the Italy midfield. Consistent at club level, and already scored at National level v Russia. Maybe not a new generation player but definitely apart of this team.

Blasi - 'New' Generation Azzuri, as long as he stays at Juve anyway. Played a few games for Italy, nothing special, but same was said about Gattuso, could easily end up the same way with his heart and drive. It was only 3 years ago Gattuso knew only how to go backwards and not forwards :D

Esposito - Only 25 so could be a future player for the Azzuri, if he stays as fast and exciting for a few more years it will be a great benefit for Italy. Was great v Russia, but also played a couple of other matches for Italy.

Toni - A bit like Barone, maybe too old to call a new generation player, but Lippi has at least allowed the tall forward to play some games and impress. Scored 1 goal against Norway but has also been effective when entered.

To add to this my opinion is that Aquilani and Bovo will at least impress much more next season and be added from the U21 squad in a few fixtures (but wont make the WC squad).

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
good thread :thmbup:
I guess Pirlo never really deserved a call up until he joined Milan and started to do well consistently for them in his new position. until then they were never going to call him, like i hope they don't call Aquilani until he's ready.

i think it's a good policy to give young players a go when they earn it (for example, like when Trapattoni should have taken Gila to Portugal), but we shouldn't go down the same road as Eriksson's England and call younger players just for the sake of it. :rollani: :eekani:

anyway it's a good side even without Miccoli (Lippi doesn't seem to rate him), and Nesta and Zambrotta out. it's encouraging for the future to see some of the quality we have :) . hopefully Lippi doesn't go and try to re-introduce Del Piero, Inzaghi etc and destroy this freshness we seem to have now.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Vagabondo said:
good thread :thmbup:
I guess Pirlo never really deserved a call up until he joined Milan and started to do well consistently for them in his new position. until then they were never going to call him, like i hope they don't call Aquilani until he's ready.

i think it's a good policy to give young players a go when they earn it (for example, like when Trapattoni should have taken Gila to Portugal), but we shouldn't go down the same road as Eriksson's England and call younger players just for the sake of it. :rollani: :eekani:

anyway it's a good side even without Miccoli (Lippi doesn't seem to rate him), and Nesta and Zambrotta out. it's encouraging for the future to see some of the quality we have :) . hopefully Lippi doesn't go and try to re-introduce Del Piero, Inzaghi etc and destroy this freshness we seem to have now.
Inzaghi and DP would destroy it but Totti wouldn't? If anyone is more likely to destroy a team's chemistry or harmony it would be Totti given he's a headcase who's agenda is to only further his reputation rather than the collective good of the team.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
CinqueDiMaggio said:
Inzaghi and DP would destroy it but Totti wouldn't? If anyone is more likely to destroy a team's chemistry or harmony it would be Totti given he's a headcase who's agenda is to only further his reputation rather than the collective good of the team.
In the national team Totti just needs to be treated like everyone else and be left to do his own thing. Trapattoni should never have built him up like he did, but that's in the past now. Totti is one of our better players and we still need him.

he's 2 years younger than Del Piero and hasn't let us down at half as many tournaments as DP has so far, and yes i do agree that Totti hasn't done much for Italy so far, that's partly why i say he shouldn't be given special treatment.

Del Piero seems like a nice man and everything, don't get me wrong, but he has conclusively proven that when it comes to the big matches for Italy he cannot get the job done. Inzaghi is completely finished. These players are not part of the new direction we should be taking.

I'd still give Totti another chance in Germany (if we make it) and then see what happens after that.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Vagabondo said:
In the national team Totti just needs to be treated like everyone else and be left to do his own thing. Trapattoni should never have built him up like he did, but that's in the past now. Totti is one of our better players and we still need him.

he's 2 years younger than Del Piero and hasn't let us down at half as many tournaments as DP has so far, and yes i do agree that Totti hasn't done much for Italy so far, that's partly why i say he shouldn't be given special treatment.

Del Piero seems like a nice man and everything, don't get me wrong, but he has conclusively proven that when it comes to the big matches for Italy he cannot get the job done. Inzaghi is completely finished. These players are not part of the new direction we should be taking.

I'd still give Totti another chance in Germany (if we make it) and then see what happens after that.
At half as many tournaments?? That's a bit of a stretch no. Totti was hugely disappointing in Asia and more notably in Portugal so that's 2 by my reckoning. Alex was a bust in 3 though he didn't go around spitting in people's faces and blaming his socks and shoes either. I think his demeanour earned him the other shot.

As for Del Piero not getting it done in big matches, the same can be said for Totti. Only thing is not only is it solely with the Nazionale it's filtered down to Roma as well now. Basically, if it's a big-gamer you're looking for Totti is definitely not the answer as is clearly seen by his numbers or shall I say, lack there of.

As for Inzaghi though. If he can find his form for Germany he'd definitely be worthwhile to bring IMO. Talk about a big gamer, Inzaghi has scored more huge goals in a season than Totti will in 10 lifetimes.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Deano I always admire ur threads ;)

I like the way lippi is gradually improving his mentality

THe starting lineup seems good for me, we all wished Nesta would feature, but he was unfortunate.. I would have chosen Barzagli to start instead though.. I don't like Materazzi!!
The mid-field seems nice!! De rossi did extremely well next to Gattuso in the last 2 games, but definitly Pirlo should be the starter!! I would like to see esposito playing this match also! Maybe he will replace Camo at some time in the game..

The front line is PERFECT..I LOVE IT;)

one question : could we recall Nesta for wednesday match if he's fit, or its fixed like this? Same for montella?

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thinK Nesta and Montella will be out of both matches. I would like to see Falcone and Di Michele added for the Iceland friendly but I doubt this will happen!

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
HB21 said:
one question : could we recall Nesta for wednesday match if he's fit, or its fixed like this? Same for montella?
I think the call-ups can be different. Didn't I hear that the squad for the friendly would only be known on March 28?

Anyhow, I wouldn't call Nesta back for a friendly. I'd use the opportunity instead to try out some alternative to Materazzi. Any alternative to Materazzi... He plays with heart, he'll do his best, but he's just not good enough.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Don't know how else to say this but Del Piero has had his chance, both as a starter and substitute at our last 5/6 major tournaments. he has conclusively demonstrated that he can't stand and deliver when we need him. and a few penalties scored in qualifiers obviously don't count in this argument.

Now, I couldn't agree more that Totti has been a major disappointment, but it's like you said he's only been a failure at 2 out of 3 major competitions. Because he is one of our better players though and still only 28 (and we're not exactly Brazil when it comes to having world class reserves) , i'd still give him a last chance in Germany. if he fails again then cut him loose that's fair enough, but even so, he still wouldn't have failed anywhere near as many times as Del Piero :yuck:

As for Inzaghi, no way. Paolo Rossi was obviously a big game striker too, but he's well past it now. so is SuperPippa. it sounds like you're living in the past a bit CinqueDiMaggio (2002?) ;)

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
The day that Materazzi wore the band for Italia was the Greatest Italia NT Day of My Life.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Vagabondo said:
Don't know how else to say this but Del Piero has had his chance, both as a starter and substitute at our last 5/6 major tournaments
I'm not going to go through the same argument here. This has been discussed on the Juve forum. But I can't leave it unanswered,so I'll reiterate. Del Piero's only chance as a true starter was in Euro 2004, and he was one of Italy's most dangerous players. The freak incident that ended up in Italy being knocked out with 5 points and no defeat (more than champions Greece) is, if anything, a testament of his bad luck. Who knows what would have happened if Italy had gone through :confused:

ToniSamp said:
The sooner Del Piero retires from the NT the better will be for Italy and the Italians...
stfu. May God bless us with your cyber muteness.

·
Registered
46,402 Posts
kthx said:
May God bless us with your cyber muteness.
Shut up, kthx. You can have a word as a Juventus bandwagoner, but no way as a supporter of Italy.
The last thing Italy need is a Del Piero arse-licker...

Think to your Lebanon...

·
Registered
46,402 Posts
BTW no one has a chance as a starter in Italy, never... in Italy there are many good players and if you are not good enough another player overcomes you. That has always happened, it happened to Vialli, to Baggio, to Mancini, to Signori.... just to mention the very last. And since Del Piero is not special, that happened also to Del Piero, so when Del Piero did not start it was not a conspiracy to "Your Royal Highness". In 2004 he had more space also thanks to Totti's suicide but what was the result? Did his contribute help?

·
Registered
522 Posts
ToniSamp said:
Shut up, kthx.
again stfu yourself.

ToniSamp said:
Think to your Lebanon...
I've been supporting Italy since 1990. I don't claim it's my country, but still I support the NT whether you f*cking like it or not.

ToniSamp said:
so when Del Piero did not start it was not a conspiracy to "Your Royal Highness"
I didn't say it was a conspiracy, retard. I said he wasn't given his chance to the fullest. The player that has led Juve to the domination of Italian football over the last decade, to 4 CL finals, and to numerous other trophies is given a chance when he starts not when he comes off the bench. I'm not saying he should be a starter now, but that his true chance was never given to him....until 2004 that is and again freak incident/Italy/knocked out...

ToniSamp said:
In 2004 he had more space also thanks to Totti's suicide but what was the result? Did his contribute help?
It was Trappatoni's negative tactics that cost Italy the 3 points against Sweden and consequently the qualification. Yes he did contribute 'help'.

·
Registered
46,402 Posts
I've been supporting Italy since 1990. I don't claim it's my country, but still I support the NT whether you f*cking like it or not.
Italy since 1990 and Juventus since 1992... odd... but I don't care. Indeed I'm not intersted in which bandwagon you entered before.

Anyway, I also say again: the last thing Italy need is a Del Piero arse licker...

It was Trappatoni's negative tactics that cost Italy the 3 points against Sweden and consequently the qualification. Yes he did contribute 'help'.
Yes, he did contribute, with all the other players, to go out of the competition. Good job, Pinturicchio. :skull:

About Trap's tactics you can find my essay in the other thread

May God create a decent Lebanese NT so we get rid of these bandwagoners.

·
Registered
46,402 Posts
kthx said:
The player that has led Juve to the domination of Italian football over the last decade, to 4 CL finals, and to numerous other trophies is given a chance when he starts not when he comes off the bench. I'm not saying he should be a starter now, but that his true chance was never given to him....until 2004 that is and again freak incident/Italy/knocked out...
And I told you that many other players had the same destiny (Baggio, Rivera, talking about Ballons d'Or) but it seems that when talking about DelPiero the true retard is you.

·
Registered
522 Posts
ToniSamp said:
Italy since 1990 and Juventus since 1992... odd... but I don't care. Indeed I'm not intersted in which bandwagon you entered before.
How is it odd? I watched Italia '90 and supported Italy then started following Juve and Serie A in 1992. The truly odd thing is how you, with so little grey matter in your melon, can put 1 and 1 together to find the timeline of my football preferences odd.

ToniSamp said:
May God create a decent Lebanese NT so we get rid of these bandwagoners.
Bandwagoners? All the Azzurri has brought me since 1990 is heartache and a deep sense of amazement at their underachievement. How am I a bandwagoner when I support a NT that has won nothing since before I was born?

ToniSamp said:
And I told you that many other players had the same destiny (Baggio, Rivera, talking about Ballons d'Or) but it seems that when talking about DelPiero the true retard is you.
And yet players like Francesco Totti get chances and chances and chances....

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Im happy when I see these DP fans, They show objective I am being when I speak about Recoba. Atleast if one of my favourite players is finished from the top I will say it until proven otherwise.

Del Piero has been gone a long long time ago, He is Del Piero by name but he isn't a top player anymore. Just gets the attention of a top player and I understand Juve is a big football machine in Lebonon and all around the world so he will be idolized by many fans.

Its for the best, Belive me you should stop fooling yourself a bit of talent here and there doesn't mean he is still top class. I don't know how you haven't admitted it after so long. Though when I say Recoba is finished I mean he is past his prime but Del Piero is waaaay past his prime, ITS 2005 PEOPLE!!!

1 - 20 of 78 Posts