Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Erreala is going to present the new stadium tonight in the Kursaal the new Stadium: Guipuzkoarena. There won't be athletics way in this stadium, good news for Erreala fans. I don't know other details yet, but here's pic:

·
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Knoert said:
When does it has to be finished.
I don't know... the Erreala web site doesn't say anything. Perhaps we'll know more about it tonight. Perhaps Txupa knows more.:confused:

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
wow, nice.

the name reminded me my childhood. My dad worked for the customs agancy in Venezuela and the building was called Guipuzkoana

·
Registered
556 Posts
From what I´ve heard and see, it´s just a project. It must be approved by the institutions. The works would start in 2005 summer and it would be expected to ready for 2007. It looks like the architects have made a good work but I´m a bit reticent about this. Anoeta is not owned by Erreala, it´s the council who ownes it. At least it´s supposed that the istitutions won´t have to pay any of the 102 million € of the budget!!!

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Looks nice! Good to hear it doesn't have an Athletics track. :)

·
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
iparralde said:
From what I´ve heard and see, it´s just a project. It must be approved by the institutions. The works would start in 2005 summer and it would be expected to ready for 2007. It looks like the architects have made a good work but I´m a bit reticent about this. Anoeta is not owned by Erreala, it´s the council who ownes it. At least it´s supposed that the istitutions won´t have to pay any of the 102 million € of the budget!!!
So who's gonna pay this? Erreala? The news I've read are a bit confusing, will it be built on the current Anoeta?

The 102 million are a lot of money, but it still would be a property of the city, so it is more an investment than a expense. I don't know. This is an issue of the people of Donosti and Euskadi.

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
The stadium looks nice:) and it will be the bigger basque stadium with 2000 more seats.:groan::D

But I have some doubts about what iparralde comments, Anoeta was done 10 years ago with public money (from all basques), money that was invested appart than to make a stadium for the representative team of Donostia and Gipuzkoa, to have a decent athletics track in Euskadi, so if there´s not athletics track I suppose the institutions that put that money must have something to say about it. Even if Erreala and Donostia´s council make an agreement about this new part, I suppose they also have to buy the 100% of the previous part or pay a compensation or something I don´t know...:confused:

I have no idea, just ask, did the spanish athletics federation put money aswell? I ask this because I saw their president Odriozola really mad yesterday on the news about this...

·
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Txupa said:
The stadium looks nice:) and it will be the bigger basque stadium with 2000 more seats.:groan::D

But I have some doubts about what iparralde comments, Anoeta was done 10 years ago with public money (from all basques), money that was invested appart than to make a stadium for the representative team of Donostia and Gipuzkoa, to have a decent athletics track in Euskadi, so if there´s not athletics track I suppose the institutions that put that money must have something to say about it. Even if Erreala and Donostia´s council make an agreement about this new part, I suppose they also have to buy the 100% of the previous part or pay a compensation or something I don´t know...:confused:

I have no idea, just ask, did the spanish athletics federation put money aswell? I ask this because I saw their president Odriozola really mad yesterday on the news about this...
One thing is for sure. No one should do an athletics running track again. Look Sevilla, they did an amazing stadium, really big, spending a huge amount of money... and now what? The same goes for Madrid and the "Peineta", now they are trying to get the Olympic Games, but who's gonna use this stadium. Espanyol use Montjuic now... but they are going to build another field. At least Montjuic already existed and it's been used regularly by Espanyol and the Barcelona Dragons.

Odriozola can say whatever, no one cares about athletics. You could do a running track without having 40000 seats around it.

About the money, you can blame the Donosti council of lack of prevision, which is a big mistake thinking about millions of euros. But afterwards, the stadium is a property of Euskadi or Donosti, but not Erreala's. Athletic could always sell the stadium in a limit situation. Erreala couldn't do it.

Really nice stadium, 5 stars, perhaps Euskadi could have a final of the UEFA Cup or even a Champions League final (although it seems too small for this possibility).

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
It is going to be nice I think, but I do hope it is not going to be such a typical modern stadium without athmosphere. All across Europe these new stadiums rise, and hey, they are all more or less dead. I can think of: Amsterdam ArenA, Arena AufSchalke, Sporting CP's new stadium. I don't like these new type of Arena's..

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Koeman4 said:
Odriozola can say whatever, no one cares about athletics. You could do a running track without having 40000 seats around it.

About the money, you can blame the Donosti council of lack of prevision, which is a big mistake thinking about millions of euros. But afterwards, the stadium is a property of Euskadi or Donosti, but not Erreala's. Athletic could always sell the stadium in a limit situation. Erreala couldn't do it.

Really nice stadium, 5 stars, perhaps Euskadi could have a final of the UEFA Cup or even a Champions League final (although it seems too small for this possibility).
Well, but you have to understand that the institutions that put money to have a big stadium wit athletics track have something to say now, even if the majority doesn´t like them.

I think there´s a minimum seats for CL but they could try it for UEFA sure, San Mamés tried it in 98 and it´s 40000.

Prince-O said:
It is going to be nice I think, but I do hope it is not going to be such a typical modern stadium without athmosphere. All across Europe these new stadiums rise, and hey, they are all more or less dead. I can think of: Amsterdam ArenA, Arena AufSchalke, Sporting CP's new stadium. I don't like these new type of Arena's..
Well they´ve said the project is based on the Amsterdam Arena...

·
Registered
309 Posts
It's amazing, we r more than 10 years talking about that athletic needs urgently a new stadium and in 5 minutes erreala and their institutions come to an agreement for the gipuzkoarena, amazing.
And, why they have a public financing for those 102 millions, and here we have to pay the 138 millions for the new San Mames?.

Why Elorza gives all the terrain erreala wants and meanwhile our major gives only 42.500 mts instead of the 56.000 that athletic needs?

Why Viscay and Bilbao spend an amazing amount of money to build the subway, the Euskalduna Palace, wich has been awarded as the world best conference palace, why we spend 480 millions to build the new exhibition centre, wich is also said to be the best of the world, why the major is thinking about how to finance the 160 millions for the Abandoibarra Tower, and why he recently said that he had no money to put in our stadium?????, why they invest NOTHING AT ALL in sport????, sport and specially football should be a priority for our politicians.

I could understand it if we were a poor region, but taking into account the incredible amount of things that Bilbao and Viscay are building, (theaters, museums, commercial centres....) i cant understand why there r so many troubles to support athletic's new stadium, it seems that the last thing they will spend money is football when its one of the events that more profits gives to a city or region.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I´d like to answer some questions or correct some things that are not totally as have been exposed here. I also admit that I may not be fully accurate as I´m based on what Erreala and the media have said and we know that they don´t always give all the information as there are many interests.

Erreala is going to present the new stadium tonight in the Kursaal the new Stadium: Guipuzkoarena
IMO it´s a great name. In euskera it means something like " of Gipuzkoa" and makes clear that the club and the Stadium are committed with all the territory (Gipuzkoa) and not only with the city. And internationally it may sound well. Don´t you think? Gipuzkoa Arena

So who's gonna pay this? Erreala? The news I've read are a bit confusing, will it be built on the current Anoeta?
Yes, the current Anoeta would be remodelated so that it would have about 10000 more seats, the athletic tracks would dissappear and the stands would be much closer to the pitch. Besides the Stadium would have 4 towers. Apparently there would be an hotel and some bussiness centres there and that´s the key as the building of the Stadium would be financed partly by them. According to Erreala the Institutions would have to pay nothing ( they´re too optimistic now, we´ll see in the future ). The other main resources for the financing would be the new future season tickets. Erreala have now about 28500 season ticket holders and can´t have more because of limitations. They could easily reach the 35000.

I have some doubts about what iparralde comments, Anoeta was done 10 years ago with public money (from all basques), money that was invested appart than to make a stadium for the representative team of Donostia and Gipuzkoa, to have a decent athletics track in Euskadi, so if there´s not athletics track I suppose the institutions that put that money must have something to say about it. Even if Erreala and Donostia´s council make an agreement about this new part, I suppose they also have to buy the 100% of the previous part or pay a compensation or something I don´t know...
Anoeta was built 10 years ago. The Stadium itself cost 18 mill.€ but all conditioning of all the "Anoeta sport centre" (mini-stadium...) cost about 47 mill. and it was paid by : Donostia Council 17 mill., Basque Government 11.3, Diputación Gipuzkoa 9.5, CSD(Spanish Sport Government) 3.2 and Erreala 3 mill. for 40 years of renting. Erreala pay all the running costs. So when mainly from Bizkaia you say that Anoeta was built with the money of all basques it´s partly true but also a bit demagogic. It´s a very difficult situation. As an Erreala supporter I want a Football Stadium but as a normal citizen I´m a bit wary of giving all these resources to a private firm. On the other hand the bigger is Erreala the better for Donostia and Gipuzkoa (economically too). Uff, very complicated...

It's amazing, we r more than 10 years talking about that athletic needs urgently a new stadium and in 5 minutes erreala and their institutions come to an agreement for the gipuzkoarena, amazing. And, why they have a public financing for those 102 millions, and here we have to pay the 138 millions for the new San Mames?.
Well, there´s not any agreement. The institutions have said that they will stdy the project and help as much as they can but they won´t pay 1 €. ( That´s what they say, we´ll see). There´s not public financing for those 102 millions.

All these new Stadiums have certain restrictions by UEFA to be top-ranked. For example there must be certain distance from the stands to the pitch, access regulations... Don´t expect new Anfield Roads, San Mames... to be built in the future. About these Stadiums being dead, IMO is people who mainly makes atmosphere, although the buildings are important too.

Well, I think this is the longest post I´ve written. Hope I haven´t bored you. Cheers;)

·
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BioJedi said:
don't worry guys, we will do a better stadium in Bilbao after they do it :D
... the question is: do already the Athletic fans agree in doing a new stadium? Several years ago there was a big part of the supporters who were afraid about it.

As an Erreala supporter I want a Football Stadium but as a normal citizen I´m a bit wary of giving all these resources to a private firm. On the other hand the bigger is Erreala the better for Donostia and Gipuzkoa (economically too). Uff, very complicated...
Yes, that's true. It's more or less the problem of TV3 and the money of the Public television for Barcelona and Espanyol. I don't like to see public money in PROFESSIONAL sport. They are now PLC in most of the cases (not Barça or Athletic) and those helps to this teams are a support to the company of Mr. Whoever.

The new stadium could be a good call for European finals and new tourists. Donosti is one of the best cities I've seen in my life. Another "offer" to attract tourism there could be good. Anyway, the stadium is going to be built mainly for Erreala, but the city of Donosti will be the owner, so it's not that bad.

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
iparralde said:
Anoeta was built 10 years ago. The Stadium itself cost 18 mill.€ but all conditioning of all the "Anoeta sport centre" (mini-stadium...) cost about 47 mill. and it was paid by : Donostia Council 17 mill., Basque Government 11.3, Diputación Gipuzkoa 9.5, CSD(Spanish Sport Government) 3.2 and Erreala 3 mill. for 40 years of renting. Erreala pay all the running costs. So when mainly from Bizkaia you say that Anoeta was built with the money of all basques it´s partly true but also a bit demagogic. It´s a very difficult situation. As an Erreala supporter I want a Football Stadium but as a normal citizen I´m a bit wary of giving all these resources to a private firm. On the other hand the bigger is Erreala the better for Donostia and Gipuzkoa (economically too). Uff, very complicated...
Yes, I probably didn´t make myself very clear. What I say is that I understand Donostia´s and Gipuzkoa´s interest in helping Erreala with a new stadium but I suppose the basque government´s help was appart than that, mainly directed to have an "olympic stadium" in Euskadi where basque, spanish or even european or world championships could be celebrated.

I will be happy for Erreala if this is finally done, it will give them points through the season, appart from money.;) But I would be sad for basque athletics and a bit worried about giving all this public money to a private club, as you said.

THOR said:
Why Elorza gives all the terrain erreala wants and meanwhile our major gives only 42.500 mts instead of the 56.000 that athletic needs?
Because Ugartetxe wants to make an Disneyworld in the center of Bilbao. Is Anoeta in the center of Donostia?

Before the elections everyone knew Azkuna has other interests rather than sports, and people keep on voting him so... he already said his purpose is to make a beautiful city and he wont stand a gigantic stadium next to the river in the most beautiful and one of the most expensive parts of Bilbao.

About the new stadium, I´m not sure if I want it. True that it has to be done soon or late (so better soon), true that it will mean more fans (younger) and more money but San Mamés is San Mamés. Appart that for the big thing Ugartetxe wants to make with all those cinemas, supermarkets and "marikonadas" they won´t let them do it where San Mamés is now, so they´ll have to make it in the surroundings. And one of the best things San Mamés has is the place, in the center of Bilbao, with Pozas next to it, where you can go and drink before and after the game with a great atmosphere...compare it with Anoeta for example, you can´t compare the atmosphere outside the stadium.

And then all this new crap stadiums everyone is making as Prince said, very modern, 5 stars and all but without atmosphere, and the project for San Mamés is based on Shalke´s so... I mean, come on! when Urzaiz scores a goal he can just shake a fan´s hand from inside the field, you can´t see that in almost any stadiums. Give me a 0 stars big stadium but with a great atmosphere! I don´t care if we can´t make european finals in it, it will mean a lot of points for Athletic through the season.

Anyway before the New San Mamés, the Bizkaia Arena for Bilbao Basket and the rest of indoor sports is necessary. La Casilla is horrible, so old, so small.... when it rains a lot they have to stop the game...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
309 Posts
I think that a new San Mames is very necessary. That is going to be modern doesn't means that seats will be far from the pitch.

Athletic has around 15.000 people (one its me) waiting to become member, the club needs that money in order to increase its budget, renew without problems and sign players.

If we dont build another stadium well got to make a complete reform of San Mames, its old, without anti-fire system, 40.000 people like tinned sardines, it takes around 15 minutes to leave the stadium....etc.... if one day it happens something serious like a fire or an avalanche of people, we can die all.

That reform will carry a capacity reduction, so if now its small then we shall kick out some members.

Athletic needs urgently a new stadium, with an hotel and shopping centers, also clubs and bars (like a little poza street), v.i.p. boxes....for increasing the profits, the members, the security, the comfort and the proud for having a good stadium.

W

·
0 Posts
Looks nice! But do you really think Erreala are a big enough club in terms of support to fill this Arena? Remember that around 150,000 people live in Donostia!;)

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Wimps said:
Looks nice! But do you really think Erreala are a big enough club in terms of support to fill this Arena? Remember that around 150,000 people live in Donostia!;)
They´re making it bigger so we (Athletic fans) fill it next time San Mamés gets closed for throwing a coin to the referee. Like the first time Anoeta was filled.:angel:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts