Xtratime Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, you knew it was coming eventually... I'll cut to the chase and give you my picks of who I'd call to the NT if I were Mr. Del Bosque.

1) Joaquin- How can you say no? The guy is red hot right now and along with Villa one of the main reasons Valencia could win the league this season. He's become very unselfish, less theatrical and very determined to succeed.

2) Llorente (Villareal)- Aside from his amazing run in the CL scoring some magnificent goals, this guy has the heart of a lion. He doesn't give up and doesn't mind setting up his team mates if he can't do it himself. His attitude would fit in perfectly with the NT and right now Guiza does not look like a reasonable option (same with Bojan to an extent).

3) Pique- Sure, Barca may not have been challenged this season and have consumed few goals but this guy is definetely on his way to being a captain. Anyone who saw him at the world youth championships were treated to his talent first hand... but aside from that, he seems up to the challenge of filling in for Milito.

Feel free to add on as many as you like, I know I have probably forgotten a few so expect some updates. Cheers.

·
semi-retired
18,554 Posts
1) Joaquin- How can you say no? The guy is red hot right now and along with Villa one of the main reasons Valencia could win the league this season. He's become very unselfish, less theatrical and very determined to succeed.
Ximo :proud: He's still theatrical and still sometimes selfish, but yeah he's improving. Judging by his performances lately, he should atleast get a look in, considering Spain's wing options.

But the most guy who most deserves a call up for Spain from Valencia is Alexis Ruano, imo. Arguably, or shall I say easily our best defender this season even though Albiol and Marchena (in his limited time) have been good.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
From the names you mention, I think Piqué has more possibilities in the short term, because the team is short in defenses. Puyol and Marchena are fix, but they're not kids anymore, Albiol seems one of the obvious replacements, but aside him, it's not that there are lots of evident choices. Piqué's progression, the minutes he is getting in Barcelona and the good form of him and his team will make it happen.

Joseba Llorente may be an option, but just one more. Villa and Torres will be the starters for the years to come. The substitutes will depend on form. Now Güiza, later Bojan, Joseba Llorente and even Fernando Llorente, who adds a different version of striker Spain don't have.

Joaquin? I don't see it clearly, because he already had too many chances and he failed. The problem is that, with him, you lose people who create football in midfield. While Iniesta and Silva also open the game and are able to play in the wings, despite they're not pure wingers, they also add a high dose of hard work and creativity in the construction of the game, while Joaquin just waits there until he gets the ball.

·
Registered
12,718 Posts
Always have been impressed with Alexis since his Getafe days and he has been very impressive this season, definetely should get a call up.

Joaquin is very one dimensional and as has been said before, just does not fit in our style and system anymore. He's a very good player obviously but do we really need to change our successful system to acoomodate him? No way.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Very doubtful of Joaquin despite of his recent success. IMO we is like playing with one man short with him on the pitch because he sometimes falls out from the picture, just being isolate on the wing. Iniesta plays on the wing but is constant involved in the progress even more central, and i wouldn´t swap Iniesta with anybody since he is ALWAYS good with Spain. It´s like Villa for Spain.

Besides, we is having the spirit of a lifetime in Spain at the moment. We acts, walks, talks, runs and plays as a worldbeater. Wouldn´t it be too much of a risk starting to take in a whole lot of new players with the possibility of losing this spirit and attitude. Clearly we are in another situation now as champions of Europe, for the first time since -64 we have spanish players who plays for a spot in the spanish lineup, a team of winners and campeones de europa. The red shirt has been hot stuff again and it takes a player to wear it, hard work and joining the spirit should be a demand from now.

Puyol and Marchena are like 29-30? They have many years left at the position they are playing in.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I agree with the majority here concerning Joaquin. The guy is as unpredictable as the weather in Canada. There are games where the guy totally fades out and we can't afford to have players like that in the national team. To me Joaquin is in the same category as Guti. They are players that could be as brilliant as the best out there, but will never be because of their attitudes.

I'm more or less happy with the call ups I've been seeing. I really wanted to see Mata get a callup and he did which was great. As K4 pointed out Llorente from Bilbao also has been playing great so it was nice to see him get a chance out there. I'm not a huge fan of overly tall strikers, but he does bring something to the team. I definately prefer him over Guiza. Never been a fan of him of Guiza. He wastes too many chances.

I'd also like to see Pique and Alexis start getting some chances. VDB needs to start building a defence for the future.

·
Registered
12,718 Posts
Rumour is that Del Bosque will call up Pique, Marcano and Joaquin for the England game.

Arteta is indeed class but we're so stacked in the middle, but i assume that with Cesc out he should get a shot.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Pique and Busquets were called up for the friendly against England. Good call, especially Busquets.....when Senna retires from international football i think Busquets has the ability and the mentality to replace Senna in the line-up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts