Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next on the list is the right back position. Here we have some interesting players though most of them are not pure right back. But still, we do have some good talent.

Dimitris Mavrogenidis, Olympiakos, 26 years old

Even though he is more suited to a wing-back or even midfielder role, he will probably be used (if at all) as a right back. Mavrogenidis is another player who has stalled the last two years. At 24, he was as good as he is now and without little annoying injury problems. His attacking abilities are still as good as ever and his defencive weaknesses remain exactly the same. On his day, he can be electric running up and down the wing, hurling crosses (something which he should do more often), running on defenders and launching through balls. Problem is, that he is vulnerable at defending. Although a good tackler, and naturally build strong and tall, Mavrogenidis has absolutely no sense of positioning and he is bound to have serius problems against any kind of decent thread from the left. He has the flair and the skills to cause problems to the opponent, but is it really worth the risk of having an exposed right side of defence? He is consistent though, but the problem is that lately he has been consistently bad rather than consistently good (I cant spell this consistency words :D). Still, without a doubt a really good player, who needs concentration on the defending department to make the RB position in the NT of his own-again.

Vasilis Borbokis, PAOK, 32 years old

Borbokis is one of the most skillfull players you can see in the Greek league. His dribbling, crossing and shooting is top class and he is also a threat from corners and free kicks. On top of that he is more than decent scorer and will rarely mistake if he gets the chance to become dangerous. His experience from England with Derby County and Sheffield United have improved him a lot. Tactically, out of experience, he knows his position and where to pass the ball. However, his defencive work leaves a lot to be desired. He has lost a great deal of his speed and although this doesnt show while attacking, in defence it does show and he can get badly exposed occasionaly. His positioning can be shocking at times, and you really expect much more from a player of his experience and age. For all that, he makes up with some really mean and reckless challenges something which makes him prone to yellow cards, suspensions and giving away free kicks in good position. He is also incosistent. When he is on his day he is slaughtering the opponent but at a bad day he can be unbelievably frustrating by wastings balls and getting exposed at the defence. All that, on top of his age and the emergence of some young talents make him a very unlikely option for the NT, even though he is good enough.

Nikos Georgeas, AEK, 26 years old

Although naturally a left back, he has found that position at AEK blocked by Kasapis and Georgeas has made the right back position at AEK of his own. Very good defender, strong and athletic, Georgeas is very average at going forward. He is versatile, since he can play left back as well as sweeper, but we have better players than him available for selection. He could be an option during an injury crisis though.

Kostas Nebegleras, Iraklis, 25 years old

Again someone whose natural position is not right back (he is a defencive midfielder) but he has been played there for Iraklis this season with quite a success. He is fast, a good and strong tackler (although a bit too strong sometimes) but he just isnt a right back and hence hardly an option. He won a call up towards the end of last season but as defencive midfielder.

Giourkas Seitaridis, Panathinaikos, 22 years old

An excellent player. Very good on the attacking department (though, not as good as Mavrogenidis or Borbokis) and decent at the defencive, Seitaridis is a MAJOR talent. Right now he plays for the U-21 but he will soon make the jump up and join the senior team. Already at that age he has had Champions League experience. He is tall and strong, skillfull, good crosser and great tackler and above all has a really good sense of positioning, something very rare for full backs of his age. A small flaw is his speed, but he makes up for it with a very good tactical approach in his game. Seitaridis should be brought up and start as right back in my opinion.

Andreas Skentzos, Aris, 29 years old

Skentzos is a violent player. He is also a violent player. And lets not forget he is violent. Thats all he is, and the weakest link in a weak Aris defence is not and should not be an option for the National Team. A decent man marker, but slow, dirty, erroneous and attacking-wise unable to do the simpliest of things. Enough said.

Giannis Papadimitriou, Scoda Xanthi, 25 years old

Papadimitriou is a product of the terrific Xanthi youth system. Regularly asked by the big teams, the only reason he hasnt moved yet is his team's money demans. Papadimitriou is very versatile since apart from right back (his natural position) he has played with equal success as wing-back, central defender and defencive midfielder. Even though he is tall and muscular, he is quite fast and he uses his speed to make up for the wee bit weak part of his game which is positioning. Patricularly strong in the air, has the bad habbit of getting many cards. He is also a bit injury prone. A quality player, but if he is to force his way in the National Team he should move to a bigger club.

PS.I have deliberatly left out players like Katsiabis, Basinas, Patsatzoglou and Amanatidis because I do not consider them right backs. They can play there and they are good there but I will list them in their natural positions. ;)

My choices: Personally, I'd pick Seitaridis and only. His back up can be one of the above mentioned "unatural" right backs who can play there. I dont consider Papadimitriou ready just yet, Borbokis is too old and Mavrogenidis is out of form. Needless to say that if Mavrogenidis finds his feet he should be in the team without a doubt.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
You forgot Christos Patsatzoglou.He is been considered as a right back and defensive midfielder too.

I would pick Patsatzoglou for the right full back place as he has very good technique for defender and he is good and defensively.Substitue i would have Yourkas Seitaridis who is a very promising player and already has big games on his feet.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I didnt forget him, as I said I left him out because he is a WASTE at right back (or the defence in general). He just isnt a side player. He is a defencive midfielder and a damn good one who can pass and also anchor efficiently.

And as a right back, Seitaridis whips the floor with Patsatzoglou.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Yes,he is very skilful to be a defender;)

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, and also too weak to be a central defender. He just isnt a defender,simple as that. :)

·
Star Player
4,703 Posts
seitaridis without a doubt in my mind and as back up Id have borbokis, yeah hes 32 and not so fast, but Id trust him more than Mavrogenidis at this point......obviously its more than a coincidence that big talents like Elefteropoulos and Mavrogenides careers have stalled since dusan bajevic quit the club, he was the inspiration and Olympiakos played on wings, I remember Mavrogenidis in full flight wipe the floor with Roberto carlos in athens, he had him at sixes and sevens and was constantly attcking down our right flank and dribbling past carlos time and again and whipping those crosses in.......horrible to see him in a rut :(

ZLATKO ZAHOVIC :fero:

·
Registered
143 Posts
yes Mavrogenidi is a very dissapointing scenario. ELE and Mavrogenidi at this point in time I expected alot more from. I honestly expected both there names to be well known among all of Europe (if they continued there succes and continued progressing that was not at all out of this world). But like usual, they haev stalled (what greek talent doesn't? :rolleyes: )

Anyway, I think Seitaridi should get the call up for rightback. Patsatzoglou belongs in the middle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts