Xtratime Community banner

9081 - 9100 of 9141 Posts

·
Registered
34,453 Posts

Locke 2013

I liked it, but its not for everyone, and im sure there are people who think its terrible. Single setting movie which takes place in a car driving from Birmingham to London. All the conversations are taking place via a phone which our lead has to use to solve all his problems.

Tell No One 2006

Great french thriller. Dont want to reveal everything but man and woman are riding home. They stop at a nearby beach area. Go swim in the middle of night. Suddenly the wife is gone. The man becomes the main suspect. Story goes back and forth between the missing night and 8 years later, when the man is still mourning or is he really? The police find new clues and reopen the investigation. What really happened and where is the woman? As the story continues lots of new dark secrets are coming out.

·
Registered
27,178 Posts
I like both those movies. I'm surprised Tell No One hasn't been remade by Hollywood yet.

I saw 10 Cloverfield Lane at the theatre this week. It's a pretty amazing movie. It's best to go in not knowing anything about it, like I did.

·
1st Tier Poster
47,951 Posts
The Rum Diary

sort of a "prequel" to Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas where Johnny Depp plays Hunter S. Thompson in his early career in Puerto Rico. Other than the obvious weird vibes about 48-year old Depp having to play a character who should be more than 10 years younger than during the events depicted in FLLV...it was a solid movie but not a very engaging or memorable one. Depp makes a great role though.

7/10

(PS: reportedly it was Johnny Depp who discovered the unpublished manuscript of this novel among Thompson's papers in late 90s and got it published.)

·
Registered
23,828 Posts
I recently watched three movies.

Captain america: civil war. 6/10

If you like comic books or comic books movies then this is a must see, if you dont, dont. The Russo brothers who penned this and previous captain america movies knows what they are doing and deliver crisp action, smart use of the characters and powers and an plot that is easy to follow. That said, the big fun action piece is out of place in several ways and Iron man wasn't believable in his motivations and actions for most of the time. If you choose a superhero movie for the year, pick this one.

Run all night. 4/10
i dont recommend. Had action night movie with bro, we werent to impressed.

Everest. 5/10
I saw Andy say something positive about it, I didn't like it that much though. While it had some nice visuals and quite interesting characters I felt it never lifted from the ground. for stretches it felt like an educational video about things that could go wrong with an everest expedition, when what really killed people was bad weather. And despite some good visuals I was actually dissapointed with that. Plenty of good actors and performances though, I just never got engaged by the story.

·
Administrator
24,775 Posts
I saw today a french film that i found really really good...liked all about it, script, acting, the lil "ordinary" scenes...so simple, yet so real to the core, in every detail

Vincent Lindon's performance is pure and perfect, but its fair to say the script is also so good....everything about this story is so real, so true...and thne of course, the fact that the director lets us absorb each scene, without rushing to the next one, makes it all deeper

its called "La Loi du Marché", in english they translate to "The Measure of a Man"

had the luck to watch it at a theatre, in a very comfortable and cosy room ( found out my hometown one was now playing movies that are outside the blockbuster circuit from the malls) which is very refreshing ...just the fact that u dont have to put up with the smell of the popcorns , the slurping of a random cola, and seat in a clean room, is so pleasant

53dyUDeEVGw

and next week they have "the Lobster", rachel weiz and colin farrell with a story plot that really makes me want to see it:D

·
Registered
42,474 Posts
Seen this excellent French movie yesterday, Almost Friends - Emmanuelle Devos and Karin Viard are brilliant... it's quite funny too, movie generated some genuine laughs throughout the theater, especially the falconry bit. Unfortunately the trailer has no English subs. Oh and Karin Viard is a real MILF. It was quite funny, this movie was part of ACMI's "Senior's Cinema" so almost everyone there was aged 50+ it looked like, I was one of the only 'young' ones lol.

[tub]Fi83lojVWEs[/tub]

·
Registered
42,474 Posts
Melbourne Film Festival is on atm. Seen 4 movies, 3 of them very good - Proof, Toni Erdmann, and Chevalier. Also been in the mood for some classics, watched Double Indemnity and Sabrina recently and enjoyed them both.

·
Abo Reema
15 Posts
I recommend "The Revenant". Another good Di Caprio film. Saw Hateful Eight too; was pretty mediocre for Tarantino standards. I could only think of 2-3 memorable scenes tops.
Yeah, I agree. It was not really the kind of films you expect from Tarantino. It was not bad at all, but was not Tarantino's standard also.

·
Registered
55,767 Posts
i recommend "coco before chanel".

that is a biopic about the self made woman gabrielle chanel. it's her story before she built her empire and become the coco chanel we know.

bvDFPjx-uBU

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
Just saw Dunkirk. Tense, gripping, visually superb with a typically great score by Hans Zimmer. This is one you need to watch in the cinema to get the full experience.

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
It was so loud I could hear no popcorn munching. The score is pretty relentless, in a good way.

If you have a decent set-up at home it would be fine (good tv and sound system) but it's not the type of film to download and watch on your laptop, IMO.

Anyway, it's excellent.

·
Registered
79,606 Posts
I watched

I've watched every documentary, read every book and articles about this historic event. In a break in tradition I give my score first, which is 9.5/10 making it a my movie of the year contender. The reason why it isn't a solid 10 is because we did not get much of an interaction between the terrorists and hostages. The consultants for this movie were Rusty Firmin and Pete Winner both fmr 22 SAS. I read their books so I didn't learn nothing new at all!! It would have been perfect if they hired Sim Haris and Trevor Lock who were the 2 British hostages. They're both still alive and appear in all the documentaries. So we see the siege from the POV of the Negotiators, Media and SAS. Not the hostages or terrorists.

Accuracy is 90%. They change some of the dialogue we know from police recordings. But ALL the hostages that had scenes were based on the real people. Even looked like them! All the details I studied for years that appeared in the movie was 100% correct. Right down to Iraqi spies that facilitated the siege by bringing weapons into the UK. It mentioned in detail the cause they were fighting for. Which is all fantastic! If this was a Hollywood movie they would add fiction to the movie to make it more exciting. But this was funded, produced and made by New Zealanders. Who had no bias! They just put the story to film and did a bloody good job of it. The SAS didn't really move correctly but these actors never were soldiers! Also something bugged me...they called surpresed weapons silencer guns. Now I dunno if that was deliberate or planned as Joe public call them silencers. If they said surpresed they may think some viewers will not understand.

Cinematography 10/10! Visually stunning! Amazing work by the DP. Edited to the highest standard. Possibly my fave cinematic movie of all time!!

CGI,

Mind blowing! First screening I spotted two visual effects. One high altitude aerial shot for the diversion charge explosion and one when the balcony window gets blown by John Mac. 3rd viewing I noticed CG cars from the 70s going up and down the street in the background. But I really had to look. The CG fires looked real, especially when the trooper caught fire. You also cannot tell where the set of the embassy ends and the green screen begins!! It's seamlessly done! I only know it was green screen from instagram photos of the set.

Goofs.

During the event live on telly in 1980 (real footage) Mac (SAS) took a hostage (Harris) to the balcony to keep him safe. Minutes later the balcony was on fire. From the window to the right Mac is now there and tells him to climb to the balcony and brings him in. In the movie a trooper takes Harris to the balcony and another trooper from the other balcony calls him immediately!!! Mac can't be at two places at once! Really upset they messed this up coz there is documentary with them in the pub talking about how Mac saved his life twice.

They also weren't training when it kicked off. They were beeped into Hereford and traveled to London in Land Rovers, not transit vans! They hired the vans for cover. No biggie but it bugged me.

Score,

Gets a little getting used to at first but after 20 mins you adjust. By the end of the movie the score is epic!
I can't recall it, it was that good. I was consumed by the action!

Acting,

Everyone bought their A game apart from Bell. I would've preferred a stronger actor. Tom Hardy would have been awesome! But too expensive I guess! Mark Strong was fantastic! Abie Cornish didn't have much to do but her posh English accent was spot on.

Overral,

A fabulously made and edited movie which is almost historically accurate. Only a nerd like me would spot such inaccuracies. So others simply would not care. If your looking for an action film this is not it. If you want a thought provoking experience based on a real-life event this is it! Tense is an understatement!

·
Registered
42,474 Posts
Watched the Aussie film Last Cab to Darwin. The story's premise reminds me of Kurosawa's Ikiru - the taxi driver Rex finds out he's got 3 months to live at most, so he decides to drive all the way up north to Darwin as Euthanasia has just been legalized in the Northern Territory. Along the way he meets a charming group of people that remind him it's never too late to live. Liked it a lot.

·
Registered
42,474 Posts
Seen the Icelandic film Fusi by Dagar Kari. Fusi is this middle aged guy who still lives with his mum and her boyfriend, and all his hobbies are quite childish. Still he has a full time job so he's not portrayed as a total loser. He's given dancing lessons as a birthday present, so he can get out a bit more socially and meet someone, and here he meets Sjofn, who isn't all she seems... hmm. But his life changes after this meeting, that's for sure. Gunnar Jónsson as Fusi is really great in the lead role.

·
Registered
16,828 Posts
anyone see Phantom Thread? It was quite good.

There a lot of highly rated movies still around in theatres here prob because of upcoming oscars. any to suggest?

·
Registered
12,488 Posts
I watched "The Greatest Showman" this past weekend....mainly because my wife wanted to watch it....mainly because one of her closest friends has watched it like 12 times :howler:

Anyways....SPOILER ALERT.....It is a MUSICAL :D

Also, the real PT Barnum looked nothing like Hugh Jackman :D

9081 - 9100 of 9141 Posts