Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, lets say the guys who are above 30 now, the likes of Zidane, Figo, Nedved, Rivaldo, were of one generation. Then lets take the group between 25-30, with with guys like Henry, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo( well a guy's who's been doing it since he was a teen like Ronaldo is hard to stick in one group, but just for simplicity lets keep him here), Raul, etc.
And the third groupd would be the guys coming through now. That is, players up to the age of 24 or so, with Cassano, Robben,Adriano, Xabi Alonso, C Ronaldo, etc.

Which group do you think has been the most talented amongst the ones playing today ?

·
Registered
12,718 Posts
Good question. The over 30's with the likes of Zidane, Figo, Rivaldo were just brilliant on their day and they won everything there is to win. The under 24's with the likes of Ronaldo, Vicente, Joaquin, Adriano, Reyes, Cassano, Torres etc. are talented as hell but in all honesty i just dont see them winning anything as significant as the over 30's did.

·
Banned
3,551 Posts
I would say the over 30's, stunning players. The likes of Zidane, Figo, Rivaldo...amazing. Although, when you get specific Maradona, Pele, Cryuff, Beckenbauer...all over 30 so they have it won. ;)

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess one interesting thing is that most of the guys who are over 30 now were pretty late bloomers. Figo probably was the only one who was known throughout Europe as some sort of wonderkid. The likes of Zidane, Rivaldo, Nedved, these guys actually started making their name around half-way through their careers, possibly a bit earlier. I suppose players like Bergkamp, Vieri, Giggs would also fall in this group, Giggs was certainly a wonderkid. But none of the others were really touted as guys coming though who'd take the world by storm.

Nowadays however, you see so many guys being hailed as this or that. But having said that, it is true that many of them have made their mark as well, and deserving of the attention. Cassano, Rooney, Robben, Adriano, Torres, you'd have to say they have all proven their potential as well, and you can't say they won't go on to emulate the achievements of the over 30s, because these are the guys who will be winning world player of the year awards and the like in the coming years, winning world cups, champions leagues, etc. The trophies and awards will still be up for grabs. What remains to be seen is whether someone can rise out of them who is like capable of being up there amongst the top 3-4 players in the world consistently every year for a long time, like Zidane has been for example. But then, what would you attribute that to ? That guy really being that good, or just because there weren't as many quality players around ? Or is it the other way around, with Zidane having won so many awards n stuff because the players who were ruling the roost with him were not of that high a standard ?

Another thing is that the 25-30 group probably contains all the best players in the world right now for each position. With Sheva/Henry/Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Gerrard, Vieira, Nesta, Buffon, etc. And many of these guys, for example, Ronaldo, Nesta, Buffon, were identified as the best in their position by many people from a very young age. In the present group of young players, however brilliant they might be, none of the young ones have really stood out enough to be proclaimed as the best in the world yet, except maybe a Vicente/Reyes/Robben debate about who is the best left-winger in Europe today.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Isaac said:
I would say the over 30's, stunning players. The likes of Zidane, Figo, Rivaldo...amazing. Although, when you get specific Maradona, Pele, Cryuff, Beckenbauer...all over 30 so they have it won. ;)
Indeed.:D That is why I specified among the ones playing today.;)

·
In Pep, We Trust!
6,149 Posts
25-30 years old generation seem promising to me, give them some time and look at what they are capable of doing, we are judging the players who are over 30 years and above based on what they did for the last 5 years, give the people in the 25-30 range and after 5 years time look back and see what they have done or achieved...

·
Premium Member
12,798 Posts
Isaac said:
I think Merengue was referring to players over 30 and are still playing today. ;) In all fairness, the youngers have a lot of catching up to do before reaching the heights of the oldies.

·
Registered
535 Posts
players over 30 years right now, they just gave world football a new breeze. but who know under 25 players have so much talent as well...

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
Interista said:
That goes for most fans :)

Partly so, but look at the thread :"The perfect player".

Same user says; Xabi Alonso and later on gerrard. Now I'm not a genius but if you have TWO perfect players in your midfield you WILL win the PL and CL.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
The Merengue said:
I guess one interesting thing is that most of the guys who are over 30 now were pretty late bloomers. Figo probably was the only one who was known throughout Europe as some sort of wonderkid. The likes of Zidane, Rivaldo, Nedved, these guys actually started making their name around half-way through their careers, possibly a bit earlier.
Indeed. I remember Blackburn made an offer for Christophe Duggary while he was at Bordeaux for about £4million, but the offer was refused. They said they would only sell only if we upped by a million pounds and took this guy called Zidane off their hands.

Needless to say, we refused. :D :rollani:

·
Banned
3,551 Posts
Valdrin said:
Partly so, but look at the thread :"The perfect player".

Same user says; Xabi Alonso and later on gerrard. Now I'm not a genius but if you have TWO perfect players in your midfield you WILL win the PL and CL.
:howler: So true. I think if you had even one perfect player in your midfield you wouldn't be five points behind Everton for 4th place, would you now?

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
Unfortunately, I do not see any players with the talent of Zidane, Figo etc coming through. The new generation seem to play with a different much faster technique which makes it harder to compare.

·
Banned
12,611 Posts
Nico said:
Unfortunately, I do not see any players with the talent of Zidane, Figo etc coming through. The new generation seem to play with a different much faster technique which makes it harder to compare.
Lionel Messi has enormous talent.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts