Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
1st Tier Poster
47,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd say Romario.

There's maybe only one season when he was truly the best player in the world and overall he didn't achieve much in the top leagues. But yet many people rate him over proven all-time great Ronaldo. Some even think he was better than Ronaldinho and Rivaldo. R9 and Ronaldinho dominated world football far more convincingly than Romario and Rivaldo IMO was also more impressive (the true MVP of WC2002 and on par with Zidane in late 90s/early 00s).

Do people really let themselves fooled so easily by the faked 1000 goal count? Or is it simply that Brazilians witnessed his brilliance first-hand while underrating those guys who spent more time in faraway Europe?

·
Banned
37,734 Posts
I think it was Jacozinho.

maradona came to play in the Maracana in 1985 and it was Jacozinho who stole the show:proud:

4ZcGs0zlQzY

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
I'd say Romario.

There's maybe only one season when he was truly the best player in the world and overall he didn't achieve much in the top leagues. But yet many people rate him over proven all-time great Ronaldo. Some even think he was better than Ronaldinho and Rivaldo. R9 and Ronaldinho dominated world football far more convincingly than Romario and Rivaldo IMO was also more impressive (the true MVP of WC2002 and on par with Zidane in late 90s/early 00s).

Do people really let themselves fooled so easily by the faked 1000 goal count? Or is it simply that Brazilians witnessed his brilliance first-hand while underrating those guys who spent more time in faraway Europe?
Romario was one of the best forwards in the history of football and obviously that is not an opinion shared only by Brazilians or by people that give a lot of importance to the exact number of goals scored by a player.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Romario is certainly overrated by himself. He thinks he's the 3rd best player of all time behind Pele and Maradona. I don't think he's in the top 5 Brazilians ever let alone all players.

To be fair Romario was player of the World Cup in 1994 along with Baggio and Stoichkov and was prolific in both Holland and Barcelona (during his short stay there). He did leave Europe too early and spent too long at PSV. Ronaldo was an all round more dangerous player than Romario, he simply had more to his game.

The most overrated Brazilian that I have seen is probably Denilson, people said he was a wasted talent, but all I saw from him were 100 stepovers and Cristiano style chops. How he became the most expensive player in the world I will never know.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Romario had many flaws in his career, true.

I think some pre TV era who most people only watched at the WC might be overrated (not only Brazilians)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Pele

Gets hyped to ridiculous levels and has a whole following of people who claim Pele was the best ever at everything. without ever having seen full matches of him Granted he was world-class, but wasn't *that* markedly better than other players in the best ever bracket like Di stefano, Maradona or Messi. His goal-scoring record proves nought with regards to this and he only ever played in teams laden with fellow greats. Pele gets the biggest amount of undeserved hype and is therefore IMO the most overrated brazilian ever. Followed by Ronaldo and Kaka (who truly in the bigger scheme of things is a mere footnote in history)

·
The Parameter
4,309 Posts
Tempted to agree with Romario and Pele, but in truth it's Artur Friedenreich. Some rabbit-killer from before the dawn of time who gets grouped into the Pele category just because he scored a ton of goals against a bunch of bank clerks and accountants.

·
Registered
103 Posts
And with Friedenreich most of those pre-WW2 "greats" who are supposed to have been "world-class". Not so much brazilians in se but mostly the Argies, Uruguyans, Chzecks, Hungarians, Yugoslavians etc. every bourgeois "football connoisseur" likes to namedrop because he saw 7 seconds of footage with them having one single touch, read their wikipedia entry and decided they're the best thing since slice bread.

·
Registered
12,621 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Pele

Gets hyped to ridiculous levels and has a whole following of people who claim Pele was the best ever at everything. without ever having seen full matches of him Granted he was world-class, but wasn't *that* markedly better than other players in the best ever bracket like Di stefano, Maradona or Messi. His goal-scoring record proves nought with regards to this and he only ever played in teams laden with fellow greats. Pele gets the biggest amount of undeserved hype and is therefore IMO the most overrated brazilian ever. Followed by Ronaldo and Kaka (who truly in the bigger scheme of things is a mere footnote in history)
I wouldn't say Ronaldo was overrated, from 1996-1998 he was the best player in the world, he could have continued that form had he not got injured and had more discipline. He is already forgotten by a lot of fans so quickly, compared to someone like Zidane.

Kaka was a very good player as well, his performances in the 2006-2007 Champions League were brilliant, he really carried the team to the title. He was better than Cristiano and Messi that season. Again injuries ruined him and he is also forgotten. He was a good direct attacking midfielder.

One thing overrated about Pele are his world cup performances. He was great in 1958 coming off the bench to score 6 goals as a 17 year old. He 'won' the world cup in 1962 despite only playing one and a half games after being injured. In 1966 he was hacked out of the tournament and got injured again. In 1970 he was already past his best.
It's really annoying hearing him say that he won 3 world cups, he should say he won 2 and played in one and a half games in 1962. The 1962 and 1966 World Cups should have been his to shine in but he was injured.

Even Ronaldo says he won 2 world cups despite not kicking a single ball in 1994. Maybe it's a Brazilian thing.

·
Banned
37,734 Posts
I wouldn't say Ronaldo was overrated, from 1996-1998 he was the best player in the world, he could have continued that form had he not got injured and had more discipline. He is already forgotten by a lot of fans so quickly, compared to someone like Zidane.

Kaka was a very good player as well, his performances in the 2006-2007 Champions League were brilliant, he really carried the team to the title. He was better than Cristiano and Messi that season. Again injuries ruined him and he is also forgotten. He was a good direct attacking midfielder.

One thing overrated about Pele are his world cup performances. He was great in 1958 coming off the bench to score 6 goals as a 17 year old. He 'won' the world cup in 1962 despite only playing one and a half games after being injured. In 1966 he was hacked out of the tournament and got injured again. In 1970 he was already past his best.
It's really annoying hearing him say that he won 3 world cups, he should say he won 2 and played in one and a half games in 1962. The 1962 and 1966 World Cups should have been his to shine in but he was injured.

Even Ronaldo says he won 2 world cups despite not kicking a single ball in 1994. Maybe it's a Brazilian thing.
Kaka is not overated and Pele is overated?

What level has this forum arrived

It needs to be imploded!:thumbsup:

·
Banned
37,734 Posts
Lack of film, lack of a global football market, lack of professionalism in a big number of leagues. Apples and pears really. IT's just unfair IMO (I like pre-WW2 football a lot, just face-value and all that...)
Should we wipe out the history of the world only because you were not alive back then?:confused:

·
ramiromanya
8 Posts
Kaka is not overated and Pele is overated?

What level has this forum arrived

It needs to be imploded!:thumbsup:
Neymar
60 Millons and he is just starting and fail in Olimpic games and Copa America, some people put he next tp messi, and I think players like Suarez Aguero and Ibraimovich are much better, he is very gifted but to skinny and childish

1 - 20 of 44 Posts