Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we have seen in the past days (or more for most the season) that De Rossi and Aquilani are just absolutely superb players. In comparison Gattuso and Ambrosini have struggled this year. Alot is to do with the Milan tactics IMO, but they are still clearly not at their best, particularly in this moment. I dont doubt both players qualities, but is it time to start playing DDR and Aquilani? I mean these two completely controlled the game v Madrid and imagine these 2 with Pirlo aswell? Quite a creative, but powerful midfield.

I know alot on here would play Gattuso, Pirlo and De Rossi which is fair enough, but I really think out of all of them Gattuso at the moment is playing the worst. If this form continues it may soon be time to bench him. Gattuso may be important still for his great covering ability if he can get fit again, but at this moment Id play De Rossi, Pirlo and Aquilani in the midfield.

P.S Donadoni will start with Pirlo, Gattuso and Ambro I am sure, but they have done the business till now so I dont blame him yet.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Gattuso looks like his legs have gone to me, maybe it's just because of his recent injury but he was looking his age.

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
DDR/Aquilani/Pirlo would get eaten alive against a proper midfield.

On Ambrosini being in the team, I think DDR would be a better option.

Note: VS Romania I'd play Aquilani/DDR/Gattuso.

Gattuso helps the team immensely, the defenders are NOT in top form and haven't been for a while. We need someone with Gattuso's grit in midfield.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK you say they would get eaten alive without any material of a suggestion as to why. Defensively Aquilani is very strong. De Rossi and Aquilani took complete control of the midifeld in the Bernebau. Add Pirlo to them aswell and Italy would have a very good midfield both at holding the ball, but also defending and attacking quickly. Taking out Pirlo of this Italy team is dangerous as the tactics are more or less tailor made for him. He has 2 wide strikers, a tall centre forward and 2 attacking full-backs... just the way Pirlo needs (unlike in Milan where he has no wide players and just a couple of strikers who are 55 yards away from him). That said I also believe Gattuso and Ambro perform better for Italy for these reasons.

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
Emm

De Rossi and Aquilani took control of Real's midfield cause it was a very weak one.
Guti was having his period, Gago is not that hard a player to stop and Diarra well, he can't pass more than 5 meters.

They did a very good job though, but I don't trust a Pirlo/Aquilani/De Rossi trio vs France/Holland.

Do you?
Against Romania we may need a change in tactics to win the game, but as you said, Pirlo is one of the more important players in Donadoni's team.

Btw, if you had to choose one to complete a three man midfield (the 2 others being Pirlo-Gattuso), who'd you pick?

·
Premium Member
11,399 Posts
De Rossi must be a starter for the Azzurri. IMO he should have never lost his place to Ambrosini. I don't get that at all.

De Rossi - Pirlo - Gattuso would be my midfield.

·
Registered
121 Posts
De Rossi should be a guaranteed starter by now, I rate Ambrosini highly but if we're being honest the only thing he has over De Rossi is experience. I'll never forget De Rossi's performance in the 4-1 thumping of Germany in a friendly before the WC, he was absolutely phenomenal. He completely ran the game and capped it off by scoring a great goal. I agree with Romanista10, my midfield would be De Rossi, Pirlo and Gattuso.

I think the best Aquilani can hope for right now is a place in the squad. Obviously he's one of the most talented young Italian players right now but to start him ahead of some of the more experienced players such as Pirlo and Gattuso could be a mistake. We need to break him into the NT gradually.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
Why no mention of Perrotta.. i think DDR and him would be Great and Sufficient.

Cam - DDR - Perrotta
--Totti --- Cassano
-------Toni

yea Cassano!!

·
Premium Member
11,399 Posts
Perrotta has been awful all season. He is way off the form he had in 2006 and 2007. He will make the team simply because he is a World Champion and can play multiple positions.

Aquilani should get the last midfield spot, but shouldn't expect to play much. He is still young and the Euro 2008 experience of training and associating with the World Champions will only help his development.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Perrotta, as far as I'm concerned, should be used as a super-sub. His non-stop running and work rate will cause problems late on in games etc.

But yeah, his form has dropped over the last year.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Forza Donadel! :proud::proud:

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Donadel and Montolivo are also awesome players. Its a shame we cant even find a spot for them.

·
Registered
16,482 Posts
I wouldn't call Monto awesome yet. He has the tools but he needs to be way more forcefull in his playing style and basically be far more consistant. He was a joy to watch against Everton though, really was.

As far as Italy's midfield goes, it'd be something like this for me.

-----De Rossi----Pirlo-----Gatusso-------

Although I'd love to see De Rossi in place of Gatusso and put Aquilani in there, or maybe if Donandoni is feeling really adventurous: Montolivio.

Ambrosini should be no where near the squad imo. Zanetti has proved he's far more effective as the destroyer type player this season. He's less dynamic than Ambro though, which probably counts against him.

A lot of good options in there however.

·
Administrator
52,972 Posts
Zanetti has retired from the NT. Yeah dont get why Ambro is an option for starting, decent player, but obviously Daniele is superior.

And its ValenciaCDEF, no Aquilani, Pirlo and De Rossi would NOT be eaten alive by other teams. Its a formidable midfield. Gatusso, Pirlo and Seedorf arent eaten alive by other clubs, so why should it be so in the NT? Aquilani is more defensive then Seedorf, and not only that is very physical and solid in defensive work. Using them 3 against the non-top teams would be good and work quite fine. Gattuso can inserted against the likes of France.

Yes I do know DDR-Rino-Pirlo is the one that will be used almost at all times, but having aquilani instead of rino would also work quite well against lesser teams, giving you extra spark and option.

·
Premium Member
11,360 Posts
De Rossi must start every game, he offers much more than Ambrosini in every aspect. If Gattuso regains his old form and fitness, he should be a starter too, at least against tougher opponents.

Pirlo starting is a non-issue, this Italy team is built around him and suits his qualities to perfection. And he always rises up to the occasion and should be in fine form in the summer.

If Aquilani keeps playing at a level close to the one he showed against Real and shows qualities in the friendlies, maybe he should be given a chance too at some point in the Euro depending on the opponents and the form of the others.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
It is a hard call these days as the young Roma and Fiorentina boys have stepped up a notch and given the Milan boys some competition.

De Rossi and Pirlo are givens, but Gattuso and Ambrosini will be in the squad, and probably starting before the likes of an Aquilani.

Who are going to be the wide players playing off Toni?

DDR, pirlo, gattuso, aquilani, ambrosini as the choice for the 3 spots in midfield with camo, di natale, cassano, quagliarella for the choice of the wide players.

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
I'd say De Rossi's form this season has been too good for Donadoni not to choose him. He's used De Rossi a lot in the qualifiers and with over 30 caps to his name, De Rossi has Azzurri experience too.

I'd then say the other spot alongside Pirlo should be fought between Ambrosini and Gattuso. Their experience is vital. Donadoni knows this too and for this reason I cannot see a situation where neither are a starter. Aquilani's done very well this season but lacks experience. He'll surely get chances off the bench during the Euro, but put yourself in Donadoni's shoes; huge expectation and pressure going into the tournament as current World Champions. Rino and Ambro are World Class DMs, Milan's current form doesnt change that and Donadoni knows he can rely on them.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts