Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
1st Tier Poster
49,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was thinking about it the other day: we've had quite many awesome players in our club who achieved practiacally nothing here: either because it was too early or too late in their career or they were plagued by injuries or couldn't adapt to tactics or we had too many good players on their position already.

So here it is, my Dream Team that never happened:

GK: Jens Lehmann (Milan 1998-1999, 5 league appearances)

Don't know why he never made it here. He has been pretty inconsistent throughout his career and spent here only half a season.

DC: Roberto Ayala (1998-2000, 24 league apps)

Sort of a mystery why he never made a real breakthrough in Serie A. There are people (almost exclusively La Liga followers) who consider him the best centre back of his generation. Still, he's a good example to bring up when people whine that Serie A CB's are overrated because Samuel and Cannavaro flopped in Spain. :D

DC: Jaap Stam (Milan 2004-2006; 42 league apps, 1 goal)

One of the best CB's in his generation but it is very easy to forget that he ever played in our club. I guess it was almost impossible for him to overtake Maldini and Nesta as certain starters. He had the highest Gazzetta rating of all CB's in Serie A with Lazio a year before he signed with us so I definitely hoped him to make a bigger impact. Can't really be called a flop though.

DC: Fabricio Coloccini (Milan 1999-2004, 1 league appearance (loaned out 2000-2004))

OK, he definitely hasn't proven to be a world class CB yet. But in La Liga he managed to be rather consistent and it is very possible that he would be a much better player at the moment had he got enough support and playing time by our management. But instead he spent 5 years :eek: on loan in Spain and never got a chance to prove his worth with us. Very bizarre case. I remember several Milan fans being rather enthusiastic about him at the start of the millenium and it was always "next season" when he was supposed to be back from loan and playing for us.

DMC: Patrick Vieira (Milan 1995-1996, 4 apps)

I guess it was just too early for him to make a breakthrough on this level. Too bad we weren't able to correctly evaluate his potential.

MC: Edgar Davids (Milan 1996-1998, 29 apps, 1 goal)

Same story as with Vieira. But to think what a midfield duo these two could have formed 3-4 years later :lick:

MC: Fernando Redondo (Milan 2000-2004, 15 league apps)

Everybody were ecstatic when we got him for 11 million pounds and Real Madrid fans were left rioting in Spain. But he injured himself immediately (apparently 3 minutes after starting his first gym exercise session :googly:) and was out for 2 years and never regained his previous level. He still has a special place in many Milan fans hearts as he decided to not accept his salary for his second injury year, a rare example of unselfishness and integrity in modern football.

AML: Rivaldo (Milan 2002-2003, 22 league apps, 5 goals)

He had just been one of the best, if not the best, player in the World Cup 2002 so yet again many fans were in ecstasy about a transfer that seemed at a time to be an absurd bargain: getting one of the most heralded geniuses in the game for free. But the truth was a bit different: despite of his impressive WC2002 it was clear by his 2001/02 performances for Barca that he wasn't on the usual level anymore. Being the key player at Camp Nou, he was often playing while injured, using painkiller injections. In his only season with us he struggled with injuries and failed to show the magic of his Barca days, often being the worst player on the pitch. He won the Golden Dustbin (worst player of the year in Serie A) award at the end of the season and left Europe to Brazil. But he had played some part in the highly successful CL campaign and had some nice moments with us.

AMR: Ibrahim Ba (Milan 1997-2003, 2007-2008, 56 league apps, 1 goal)

lol

FC: Roberto Baggio (Milan 1995-1997, 67 apps, 19 goals)

That was before my time so I don't really know the reasons why the man who is often regarded as the best Italian attacker ever only spent two rather mediocre seasons with us, then went to Bologna where he shined for a season and then continued his mediocre club performances at Inter.

FC: Patrick Kluivert (1997-1998, 32 apps, 9 goals)

Regarded as the most promising prospect from the Ajax raid that saw 4 players (Kluivert, Davids, Reiziger and Bogarde) to join Milan free under the new Bosman rule in 1996-1997. Yet his short time with us was marred by off-field troubles as he was charged with manslaughter and rape. Somehow he avoided the lengthy jail time reserved for ordinary citizens for such offenses and ****ed off to Barca where he provided the opportunity for Cules to hate and curse him for 6 seasons in a row although his scoring record was quite good both for his club and country.

So here it is:

DREAM XI OF UNREALIZED POTENTIAL (3-5-2)

---------Baggio----Kluivert

Rivaldo-------------------------Ba

----Davids---Vieira---Redondo

-----Ayala---Stam---Coloccini

------------Lehmann

·
Registered
59,799 Posts
Can't believe I'm telling this to a Milanista, but Stam was awesome for your lot. Scored a couple of goals against us, too.. :(

·
1st Tier Poster
49,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
as I said, he's not a flop. But personally I had higher expectations when he signed for us. Maybe he was too old already, but I wouldn't call his performances awesome if compared to his late 90's form or his last season at Lazio.

·
Registered
43,403 Posts
put Lentini (though in a earlier times) instead of Ba and may be Ronaldo instead of Baggio.

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
Brian Laudrup was here during the 3 foreigners rule and had to fight with Berlu's and fan's fav Savicevic for a place in the team.

An extremely talented player who didn't get more than a handful of games at Milan.

·
1st Tier Poster
49,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, Lentini probably should be here as he was maybe the most tragic Milan transfer next to Redondo's. But I didn't put him there because I haven't seen him play & he belongs to a different generation. While the lineup I posted could basically be imagined playing together rather successfully in 2001 or 2002 and forming a world class team (well, except Ba maybe :D)

About Ronaldo I'm not really sure. IMO there wasn't that much potential left in him when we signed him. We could of course speculate what he could have done had he stayed free from injuries. But his injury proneness and fitness problems was the reason why we managed to get him so easily from Real in the first place. All in all his career with us went pretty much like I expected.

·
XT's Demi-God
8,662 Posts
Lentini was great. Had the complete game for a winger, and also popped with a few corkers, like an overhead in derby match. Cruz was someone we never seen the best of. Nevermind other like Futre, Laudrup, Pagatto, Locatelli

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Baggio fell victim to Capello and his reluctance to let the fantasy types do their thing. Baggio was often considered a luxury item.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Stam never flopped for us. Milan played with a dream defense lineup of Cafu - Nesta - Stam - Maldini. I have seen the Ministry of Defence play in the early 90's, that defensive lineup is as good as this one. Stam was huge for Milan, no way a flop.

I'd also like to add Gilardino and Ronaldo instead of Ibrahim Ba.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Lentini was great. Had the complete game for a winger, and also popped with a few corkers, like an overhead in derby match. Cruz was someone we never seen the best of. Nevermind other like Futre, Laudrup, Pagatto, Locatelli
Futre was way past his best when we got him/. We never Lentini's best but that was not his fault (unless you count the crash). Andre C

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Andre cruz was a nice centerback with a great freekick but that was with Sporting Lisbon and not really anyone else.

·
Super Moderator
13,722 Posts
Good thread.
DC: Roberto Ayala (1998-2000, 24 league apps)

Sort of a mystery why he never made a real breakthrough in Serie A. There are people (almost exclusively La Liga followers) who consider him the best centre back of his generation. Still, he's a good example to bring up when people whine that Serie A CB's are overrated because Samuel and Cannavaro flopped in Spain. :D .
He was played in a 3 man defence often and the wingbacks were not the best at all (Guly and Helveg). The other defenders were not too fast either at that point, (mostly Paolo and Billy or Sala I think). The worst part of his game was exposed.

AML: Rivaldo (Milan 2002-2003, 22 league apps, 5 goals)

He had just been one of the best, if not the best, player in the World Cup 2002 so yet again many fans were in ecstasy about a transfer that seemed at a time to be an absurd bargain: getting one of the most heralded geniuses in the game for free. But the truth was a bit different: despite of his impressive WC2002 it was clear by his 2001/02 performances for Barca that he wasn't on the usual level anymore. Being the key player at Camp Nou, he was often playing while injured, using painkiller injections. In his only season with us he struggled with injuries and failed to show the magic of his Barca days, often being the worst player on the pitch. He won the Golden Dustbin (worst player of the year in Serie A) award at the end of the season and left Europe to Brazil. But he had played some part in the highly successful CL campaign and had some nice moments with us.
IMO Rivaldo was Brazil's best player in France 98. Most of his biggest awards were received in 1999. He was good at the 2002 WC indeed, but his game at Barcelona had already shown signs of deteriorating. He became slower and more static.

But Carlo also never managed to find him a role. When Kaká arrived it was understandable, but the year before Carlo had some responsability IMO. He was used in about ten games I think (at the beginning of the season, like in that derby in which he made "that" pass) as a sort of second attacker, between Rui and Pippo or Shevchenko. But he looked lost. Not only he had lost some talent, but he looked very lost, was back to the goal most of time, etc. It is true that he has a reputation of lacking tactical responsability under Van Gaal, but I think Carlo could have done better with him.

By the way, it's interesting how we are in a situation reminding of that one. What scares me is the idea of Carlo not finding a role for Pato this time, and in similar places on the field. Right now, he seems to prefer Ronaldinho over Pato. It is understandable, but I don't want it.

·
Super Moderator
13,722 Posts
I don't think Cannavaro has failed at Madrid btw. It looked like he would at the beginning and he has way too many injuries, but he has been very good at times too. Not his career's best, but he is naturally olding.

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
18,041 Posts
The answer in almost all those names is just bad timing...also stuff big clubs like to spread like: like Pato will make 30 goals this season, does not help a bit...but happens everyhwere

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
18,041 Posts
15 games for Redondo in 4 years? I'd never realized it were so few....

·
Super Moderator
13,722 Posts
Fangio: actually it sounds too much (not that it is). I can't remember more than three or four. Mostly unimportant. That sucked, but luckily it helped Carlo to "rediscover" Pirlo.

·
XT's Demi-God
8,662 Posts
He played in most coppa matches in 2002-2003, and also away to Madrid in CL. Played well. League matches I don't remember any. Same with the underused Vogel & Dhorasoo.

·
Registered
23,911 Posts
He played in most coppa matches in 2002-2003, and also away to Madrid in CL. Played well. League matches I don't remember any. Same with the underused Vogel & Dhorasoo.
He debuted in a league game against Roma in november 2002. I remember it well because I saw his debut in San siro with a member from MM.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts