Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
INTERview with the Matrix

After the kind comments recieved by myself, on behalf of Bob as well as Nacka, G.Faccheti and others, I decided to show my appreciation for their appreciation by flying out to Milan and tracking down Marco Materazzi. I found him in 'La Coppola' being served a free pasta dish. He greeted me in a white T-Shirt with silver glittered shirt with the letters 'The Rich' written accros it. I asked him if he had time to catch up as the XT Community wanted to hear his thoughts as he is worshipped around these parts of the net. He told me he adored the support of every Inter fan and that he wanted to stay at Inter so they have nothing to worry about. The guy had tatoos all over his arm and his presence was larger than you'd see on television. However he had the eyes of a man who clearly could not hurt a fly. His injury had sent him to hell and back and I asked about his triumphant return in the unforgettable Milanese derby which saw Andrea Pirlo score a devastating free kick only for Inter to come back and show their superiority:

It was more or less your first game back, what a return!

I didn't expect to be playing. I obviously wanted to be there on the pitch, but Walter Samuel and Ivan Cordoba were doing well. I had hardly played any minutes and was in far from top condition. Life is strange and Walter, who had been in extraordinry form, got injured just as I had returned. There is nothing you can do about destiny.

Did you not put any pressure on Roberto Mancini to start you in the derby?

If I'm honset, I madly wanted to play in Turin against Juventus back in week 11, but I wasn't ready. So I did everything to be there against Milan. The game and our fans didn't disappoint.

What did you do when you were injured? - Do you have a Playstation 3? :D

Immediately afterwards I handled it very badly. I was in a desparate state at the stadium that day as I thought I wouldn't get the operation in time. I was only a few hours awat from having my career ended. Then once the operation was over, I relaxed and everything got better. I was convinced that I could return earlier than expected and the day after the injury I was already thinking of the road back. I have a certain level of experience that allows me to hand things correctly.

How does this experience help?

You can't let things get you down but you also can't' push things too hard at the start of your recovery. I think that optimism and a general positive attitude can cut your time on the sidelines. We signed hristian Chivu and Samuel was playing like a God, so there was no pressure - Inter were winning without me. It was early in the season and the worst-case senario was that I would be back in mid January.

It seems that your relationship with Mancini has improved a lot. I even saw you speaking to him on one occasion

Now we get on perfectly, but I'll admit that there were mistakes at the start. There was this big problem regarding our jobs. The respect just wasn't there. He had only just arrived and seemed to have a players mentality and perhaps I felt like I could challenge his opinion. Slowly but surely we learnt our roles. I started to appreciate him and discovered what a great Coach he really is. He started to understand who I am, what I do and what I can do. It took some time, but here we are. The results speak for us both.

At this point, our main course had arrived and I thanked the waiter for his outstanding service. Marco just laughed at me. I wasn't sure if I had missed something. I loved Tagliattele con pesto and we both dug in...

...The second half of the INTERview to follow....

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

What was the worst moment for both of you?

Six months before the World Cup, I asn't playing and I was desparate as I was scared of not making the Azzurri squad, which meant everything to me.I wanted to leave so that I could get first team football. Do you know who came up with the solution? It was Lippi..

Lippi? Marcelo Lippi?

Yes. He called me and told me that it was better to play 10 games for Inter than 20 elsewhere. That calmed me down - and you know the rest...

Is it true that you almost joined Milan?

No but those rumours helped me.

Will Inter win Scudetto this season?

I don't want to talk about that because I'm superstitios, but this year if we win it, we won't celebrate it that much because we wanted the Champions League. To win that would be the pinnacle of my career. In the space of a year I won the Leauge and the World Cup so the Chapions League is all that's left. It would be fantastic and well deserved.

You mentioned the World Cup - Euro 2008 is only months away.

We will win it. We want it so badly because we would enter Italian football's history books. No Italian side has won the World Cup and then the European Championship. We would become the generation to remember forever.

Why is the National Team so important to you?

Because I played at a low level for so many years when I didn't have targets like the Scudetto and the Champions League let alone an Azzurri shirt. When you play for Marsala and Trapani it is tough. Today I know that I have worked hard to get to where I am and I deserve my spot in the Italy side more than others.

Have you ever had a role model?

Alessandro Nesta, even if he's a lot shorter than me! But Zlatan is the best I have ever played alongside.

What is your best quality as a player?

I would say tactical intelligence because I always know where the ball is going to go. But also my mentality and my determination.

And weakness?

I would have to say pace. I have always said that I would like to be like Ivan Cordoba.

Would you ever return to England?

I will finish my career at Inter and I have a long time left on my contract. If you had asked me two years ago I would have said that O would love to move to London.

You're 33. Have you decided when you're going to retire?

When my legs give out. I'm looking towards 2011 when I'll be 38. After that, I would like to be a youth coach at Inter to start with.

And how would you like to be remembered as a player?

I only care for what the Inter fans say and I hope they remember me as someone who loved the Nerazzurri shirt with a passion. I want to be someone who is always in the hearts of the fans and written into the clubs history.

Marco looks at me matter of factly as he finishes his sun dried tomato. I thank him for his time and tell him to enjoy the Man Utd v Roma game. I thought mentioning Liverpool might be a bad idea so I told him it was nice to meet him and he signs an autograph as he left the little cafe...

* I would like to thank Calcio Italia and Dominique Antognoni for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

·
Registered
23,831 Posts
Can we please swap Bob for Firenze? :excited:

Bob has been annoying me lately and isn't doing much good for the forum. And he has disagreed with me at least once, I think. :undecide:

On the other hand Firenze seems like an alright fellow. Two quality interviews delivered! :thumbsup:

I say we do everything we can to make this swap happen! :hopeful:

·
Registered
11,657 Posts
Thanks dude.

I stopped buying Football Italia magazine as it seems they favour 1 or 2 teams in that mag and like to shit on another :lala:, but there are some nice features left in it still

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can we please swap Bob for Firenze? :excited:

Bob has been annoying me lately and isn't doing much good for the forum. And he has disagreed with me at least once, I think. :undecide:

On the other hand Firenze seems like an alright fellow. Two quality interviews delivered! :thumbsup:

I say we do everything we can to make this swap happen! :hopeful:

I've got a third quality surprise for you coming up later in the week... :devil:

·
Administrator
52,971 Posts
good interview, but how?
What do you mean but how?:D

He was nice enough to manually copy word for word the interview from that magazine, and the personalized premise of him interviewing Matrix himself is a nice touch and gimmick.

·
Registered
14,769 Posts
After the kind comments recieved by myself, on behalf of Bob as well as Nacka, G.Faccheti and others, I decided to show my appreciation for their appreciation by flying out to Milan and tracking down Marco Materazzi.
i mean, this, how were you able to get a hold of the matrix? Or is it as Osman said, you personalized the interview from a magazine?

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
What do you mean but how?:D

He was nice enough to manually copy word for word the interview from that magazine, and the personalized premise of him interviewing Matrix himself is a nice touch and gimmick.
No he didn't......

He actually met Matrix while in Italy...

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Yeah he works for some Italian publication that's not well known (they don't even have a site, they only work in print). Firenze, what is the name of your magazine again?

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
To avoid any type of confusion, Osman is in actual fact, absolutely right.

However, I can fully sympathise with some people who may think that I am a writer, I have been asked this on several occasions when I've written articles on other forums.

In this interview, I was particularly surprised by some of the creativity I showed - I almost believed that I had interveiwed him myself! I happen to be very observant, read a lot and have a wild imagination which allows me to write like that.

The name of the magazine is Calcio Italia (as mentioned at the bottom of the interview).

You all know the website; it's channel4.com/footballitalia, and most recently, they've opened a new website footballitaliano.tv. The publishing company is Anthem Publishing who also circulate Italia! and Taste Italia magazine.

Taste Italia is a mag that I also buy, perhaps slightly less frequently. I would reccomend both mags to fans of Italian football and Italian cookery (as well as culture). So mainly, to Scottish people. :D.

Really glad you enjoyed it and look out for my next one coming very, very soon!

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
To avoid any type of confusion, Osman is in actual fact, absolutely right.

However, I can fully sympathise with some people who may think that I am a writer, I have been asked this on several occasions when I've written articles on other forums.

In this interview, I was particularly surprised by some of the creativity I showed - I almost believed that I had interveiwed him myself! I happen to be very observant, read a lot and have a wild imagination which allows me to write like that.

The name of the magazine is Calcio Italia (as mentioned at the bottom of the interview).

You all know the website; it's channel4.com/footballitalia, and most recently, they've opened a new website footballitaliano.tv. The publishing company is Anthem Publishing who also circulate Italia! and Taste Italia magazine.

Taste Italia is a mag that I also buy, perhaps slightly less frequently. I would reccomend both mags to fans of Italian football and Italian cookery (as well as culture). So mainly, to Scottish people. :D.

Really glad you enjoyed it and look out for my next one coming very, very soon!
:D:thmbup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts