Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besiktas team manager Sinan Engin took the opportunity of Saturday's match against Genclerbirligi to do a little transfer negotiating.

He approached Gencler chairman Ilhan Cavcav about 20-year-old Okan Koc, who is rated by experts as one of the most promising strikers in the league. He received an answer he didn't much care for -- Cavcav put a price of $3 million on Okan's head.

That, of course, is ridiculous for a man who has yet to establish himself in the top flight but veteran Cavcav-watchers are aware of the chairman's bargaining technique of asking for the moon and stars before settling for the moon. But had Besiktas been a little quicker and a little more decisive a few months ago, it could have had Okan for a good deal less.

The Black Eagles were flirting with him during soccer's winter break when he was still a Canakkale Dardanelspor player. Cavcav, though, got in ahead of Besiktas and a couple of other clubs who were interested and contracted Okan to Gencler until 2006.

There are indications that the wily Mr. Cavcav asked for an impossible price because he has no intention of selling at all, at least not for the moment. He said as much last week: "The big clubs can forget about Okan. He's a Genclerbirligi player and he isn't going anywhere."

With Cavcav, it is always difficult to know when he is bluffing and when he isn't which is one reason why he has been so successful in his transfer dealings down the years. In this case it is quite possible that he believes that by keeping the player for a year or two and letting him develop in Ankara, he will eventually be able to ask for rather more than $3 million. That would be a gamble but readers are advised that Cavcav is not a man to play poker against. In any event, he has little to lose by waiting. He picked up Okan for a song from Dardanel.

Galataaray are said to have agreed with Okan in a deal as well as Fener having showed their interest in him.

·
*the drum drum*
42,999 Posts
If it were up to me, I'd jump at the chance to sign him for $3m...

The first game I watched him play, he tore apart the left side of Galatasaray all on his own :eek:
Then I watched him against Fener, and he ripped our left side apart too :eek:

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
Is 3 million really an insane amount to pay for a potentially great striker?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
For turkish standards it seems high, but I think Okan will be worth much more when he plays for Gala or another big team. So he is worth it.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
If he is smart he wil come to Galatasaray and work with a manager like Fatih Terim or if he is dumb he will go to Besiktas or Fenerbahce and ruin his future. anyway he has signed a pre-agreement deal with Galatasaray so he is smart like Tuncay Sanli from Sakaryaspor, Altan Aksoy from Adanaspor, Huseyin Cimcir from Antalyaspor, and Murat Erdogan from Istanbulspor.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
You have it wrong buddy our board sent him to staty at a hotel until he signs with us Besiktas announced today they gave up on him.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts