Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months back it was clear Airdironians FC of the Scottish First Division were going to be made defunct. They were and now they don't exist.

Their fans rallied together and a local businessman bought the name Airdrie Utd FC and also agreed to pay £20,000 towards their debts as a deposit. They have a guarenteed fan base of 2000 and were one of 6 clubs to apply for the vacancy in the Scottish League. The others were Preston Athletic, Gala Fairydean, Huntly, Cove Rangers & Gretna.

Airdrie Utd were favourites to get the place in the league. However yesterday the 30 chairman of the Football League met and had a ballot. Gretna got 16 votes while Airdrie only got 11.

Gretna's average gate is 100 compared the the 2000 Airdrie would be taking. It's an absolute outrage :mad:

Add to that that Gretna play in an English League :mad:

I feel so sorry for the Airdrie fans, they now have no club because Scotland has no feeder leagues. There is no Airdrie anymore. 3 generations of fans are left without anything to hope for in football unless they find themselves another club.

I myself could never support anyone else in Scotland if Rangers ever went to the wall and the Airdrie fans I know are the same :mad:

It also now means that cash-strapped 3rd Division clubs face a marathon journey to the borders and I fear it could well be the end of Scottish football.

2000 die-hard fans were lost from Scottish Football yesterday.

R.I.P Airdrionians & Airdrie United FC

Any comments?

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
part of me thinks its a shame, for the reasons you mentioned. The club is older than just about every football team outwith Britain so its a sad end to a long history

another part of me thinks that the fans had their chance to save their club for over 2 years but never did so its time for some other team and their fans to have a chance. Plus if they allowed the 'new' Airdrie straight back in, other financially stricken clubs would opt for that tactic in order to avoid their debts

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
That is really sad. It seems as if financial troubles are destroying a lot of teams nowadays:(

The same problem happened in contraction with Major League Soccer, and could happen in baseball.

Often it is the connections rather than financial viability that lead to the shut down of some of the teams though:depress:

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Teddy Bear said:
part of me thinks its a shame, for the reasons you mentioned. The club is older than just about every football team outwith Britain so its a sad end to a long history

another part of me thinks that the fans had their chance to save their club for over 2 years but never did so its time for some other team and their fans to have a chance. Plus if they allowed the 'new' Airdrie straight back in, other financially stricken clubs would opt for that tactic in order to avoid their debts
Their fans did try, bloody well hard at at. Even the notorious Airdrie Section B :eek: Although the Section B's antics on the day against Ayr probably had an influence on yesterdays decision.

Bill Barr
Bill Barr
The Section B snapped you bar :D

I just dunno what all these fans will do :(

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Airdrie back in business, but poor Bankies :(

Airdrie United are back in the league and will play in Division 2 next season. They have bought over bankrupt Clydebank and will change their name to Airdrie United and also change the strip back to the Diamonds they are famous for.

I really feel for Clydebank and their fans/players but Airdrie would have been a much greater loss and it's nice to see them back. Clydebank had an average following of 200, Airdrie will get 10 times that.

LONG LIVE AIRDRIE UTD :D

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Yes it's very sad ... the NSL in my country always sheds a few teams every few years and careers and lives are shattered.

Canberra Cosmos
Carlton SC
Adelaide Sharks
Gippsland Falcons

The money pit is drying up ... Airdrie won't be the last :(

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
True... none of those clubs were ever viable propositions and it's hardly susprising they went out of existence with all their good players sold off to better off clubs or going abroad.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
All except Carlton ... they had an awesome squad that were on awesome wages (first pro-club) but no-one turned up to see them because they stupidly named themselves after a suburb which shared the same name and colours and ground as a majority loathed Aussie Rules club.

If they had've named themselves Melbourne or Victoria they would've brought the crowds AND sponsors in droves.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's them :)

David Fernandez, now with Celtic :mad:
Jesus Sanjaun, now Kilmarnock
Antonio Calderon, now Kilamrnock too I think
Javier Sanchez Broto, now Livingston
Salva, dunno where he went
Miguel Alfonso, gone missing from Scotland

As you can see they had a few spaniards, they were branded Los Diamentes ;)

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
Don't forget Francisco Sanz, formerly of Real Madrid B, Real Oviedo, and Racing Santander.

·
Star Player
4,703 Posts
dyertribe said:
All except Carlton ... they had an awesome squad that were on awesome wages (first pro-club) but no-one turned up to see them because they stupidly named themselves after a suburb which shared the same name and colours and ground as a majority loathed Aussie Rules club.

If they had've named themselves Melbourne or Victoria they would've brought the crowds AND sponsors in droves.
exactly.........

Im just really happy that after losing millions on keeping carlton afloat Peter Jess finally got millions back, with the transfer of bresciano to parma from brescia. As owner he was entitled to a large percentage of the next transfer fee of bresciano, a few years too late but at least some good comes out of the sad carlton story.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Yeh, poor old Jess also got some money back as part of the Colosimo to Man City via Marconi deal as well ...

It is a sad example of the game in Oz though when that is only way some clubs or former clubs can gain or recoup money - I remeber when West Adelaide Sharks (defunct) president Con Makris was preying Stan Lazaridis went to Birmingham whilst still at West Ham because of the sell-on clause in his contract.

100% of the money went to paying off a fraction of the outstanding wages owed to the squad however.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bastin said:
Don't forget Francisco Sanz, formerly of Real Madrid B, Real Oviedo, and Racing Santander.
Talk about on the ball :D

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Calderon is now Raith Rovers manager.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts